Prospect Info: Vancouver Canucks Top 25 Prospects 2015 - #7

Numbers

Sep 26, 2011
Kenins, really don't think he is a 'prospect' though given he's been playing professionally for, what, 4+ years now?

It Baertschi and Vey aren't prospects it doesn't make sense for Kenins to be one. Think we should remove him from this poll.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
It Baertschi and Vey aren't prospects it doesn't make sense for Kenins to be one. Think we should remove him from this poll.

Kenins doesnt qualify as a prospect he has a 1 way deal. Idc 60 games ******** one way deal

Nuckles can you please remove Kenins from the next poll?

It is based on HF qualifications of a prospect. Kenins as a European signed at or after the age of 22 have 3 seasons to reach 65 games played to no longer be considered a prospect. A 1-way contract has zero to do with anything.

With Kenins signing his first contract in July of 2013, he has until the end of next season or have played 65 games to no longer be considered a prospect. I was wrong when I first looked at but that is the stipulation on what is considered for a European signed player.

Bo Ho*

Surprised Gaunce is getting so much fanfare. From what I've heard, he's a longshot to even make the NHL, especially as anything more than a fourth liner.

I like Gaunce for the following reasons:

-He's got a HUGE drive to win. When you watch him play, you can tell he's very competitive and gives it 110% (similar to watching Kesler play). He always puts in a solid effort. That is an invaluable trait.
-He can play physical, isn't scared of going into the dirty areas.
-He's got a pretty solid shot.
-As a prospect, he was a leader (captain) on his team and had a really good playoff track record. Then he was groomed into the specialized role of playing more defensive when he played behind McDavid.
-He just seems like a pretty good character guy to have on a team.

He is definitely slow and has a lot to work on, but he has the qualities you want in a player and most of them can't be taught.

Numbers

Sep 26, 2011
My list up until this point:

1. Virtanen
2. McCann
3. Boeser
4. Demko - This would be Baertschi if he was eligible
5. Clendening
6. Corrado
7. Cassels

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
If the fates are in our favour:

baertschi johansen lucic (travis green)
Kenins matthews virtanen
Shinkaruk horvat boeser
gaunce cassels mccann

edler tanev
Lets just stop there

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Surprised Gaunce is getting so much fanfare. From what I've heard, he's a longshot to even make the NHL, especially as anything more than a fourth liner.

Agreed. I would probably put a few guys before Gaunce even at this point. He isn't half the prospect that Kenins is.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Agreed. I would probably put a few guys before Gaunce even at this point. He isn't half the prospect that Kenins is.

I don't know if this underselling Gaunce or over selling Kenins. Both have the upside of a 3rd line winger. Just completely different stylistically. One is a banger that can score some points and the other with the better defensive game. Both styles needed to win.

One is has 3 years of experience on the other and is much closer to being a graduated prospect which naturally would be the higher ranked. I have them 8th and 9th.

What is it that makes Gaunce half the prospect?

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Voted Kenins (Started voting him early last year 2, about 10th)

But see Corrado, Clendening, Gaunce as being NHL ready but not high ceiling.

I feel the following are all about equal in terms potential (i.e. they are all boom bust players)

Hutton, Trymakin, Pedan, Zhukinov, Jasek, Brisebois, Subban,, I honestly find it hard to compare these players.

Grenier doesn't seem to have as high a ceiling as these guys, but isn't far off being a call up.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I don't know if this underselling Gaunce or over selling Kenins. Both have the upside of a 3rd line winger. Just completely different stylistically. One is a banger that can score some points and the other with the better defensive game. Both styles needed to win.

One is has 3 years of experience on the other and is much closer to being a graduated prospect which naturally would be the higher ranked. I have them 8th and 9th.

What is it that makes Gaunce half the prospect?

An underwhelming rookie year in the AHL that saw him be a healthy scratch during the playoffs at times. Kenins and Gaunce have similar upside, but Kenins has already proven that he can play in the NHL.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
jasek is almost certainly our 2nd best prospect in the 2015 draft

Brisebois is the 2nd best prospect from 2015. Rated to go in the middle of the 2nd Rd, oozes smarts, has a big frame to grow into, very good feet and a terrific stick.

Brisebois is my pick in this poll. Fully expect his stock to rise dramatically next season.

Numbers

Sep 26, 2011
Brisebois is the 2nd best prospect from 2015. Rated to go in the middle of the 2nd Rd, oozes smarts, has a big frame to grow into, very good feet and a terrific stick.

Brisebois is my pick in this poll. Fully expect his stock to rise dramatically next season.

His stock will rise inevitably with Clendening, Corrado, Kenins, and possibly Virtanen coming off the poll next year.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
An underwhelming rookie year in the AHL that saw him be a healthy scratch during the playoffs at times. Kenins and Gaunce have similar upside, but Kenins has already proven that he can play in the NHL.

Being 3 years older and the experience that comes with that will do that for a player. Doesn't make him twice the prospect just more ready. The difference of 0.009 ppg pace make Gaunce season underwhelming compared to Kenins? One was in his rookie pro season and the other in his 4th. That is not underwhelming in comparison. Healthy scratch for 2 game of 23 from a coach that plays veterans is not a knock for a rookie.

Being NHL ready does not make him twice the prospect, just leaves him rated slightly rated ahead.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Yea important takeaway is that once inserted back in the playoff lineup, Gaunce was a mainstay and was an important piece at times.

Hi-wayman

Feb 28, 2002
Surrey
Visit site
An underwhelming rookie year in the AHL that saw him be a healthy scratch during the playoffs at times. Kenins and Gaunce have similar upside, but Kenins has already proven that he can play in the NHL.[/QUOTE]

Already having played in the NHL does not make him a better prospect than Gaunce. Jensen played in the NHL due to injury then has since proven he is not the prospect he was thought to be 2 seasons ago. I like the progress Gaunce has been showing & I believe he will make this season's Canuck roster.

The one Canuck prospect you might be able to say is a better prospect because he's already excelling in a top league is Tryamkin and he is getting very little consideration.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010

thats cool, but jasek is actually the second best prospect we drafted in 2015. i fully expect his stock to rise dramatically next season

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Really surprised with Gaunce winning this. I think he has incredible amounts of work to do with adjusting to the pace of the game and working on his plodding feet, lack of agility, and acceleration.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad