Prospect Info: Vancouver Canucks Top 25 Prospects 2015 - #4

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Went Shinkaruk. Natural finisher, and finishing is the hardest trait to acquire. Next for me will be Gaunce, them Cassels and Corrado.

I put Gaunce over Cassels cuz he's bigger, a better skater and showed some steady improvement in h8s rookie pro year. Cassels had the great year and McDavid (although I'm sure the ent8re team played a role there) but imo Gaunce has just a smidgen more upside, and both have similar 3rd line projections.

On a side note, whens the last time we didnt have a goalie in our top 5 prospects? Went from Schneids to Lack to Demko. Just furthers the position that in today's NHL, goalies are a dime a dozen.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
I think that it would have been a bad sign if Shinkaruk had went back to the WHL when he's pro-eligible

AJ Thelen was the last first round pick to play as an overager in the CHL. So yeah, it would have been a really bad sign.

Last edited:

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I went with Cassels, but it is close. Gaunce I feel is closest to making the league. Cassels had a great season in Junior. Shinkaruk could put up some numbers if he fills out that frame.

Demko is a couple years away and is hard to project at this point. I want to see him play in Utica before I'm on board with Demko's hype train.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Demko has to come back from surgery and is still probably 3-5 years off. Fortunately the surgery was a common one and should actually help his game. Then we just have to see if he can handle a larger workload.

I realize, and am impressed that Cassels had a great season/playoffs/Memorial Cup... but he needs to work on his skating. And needs to prove that his style of hockey can work vs. men. Until then, he's just another guy who did well as a 19-20 year old in the CHL. I have my fingers crossed for him next season and I think he's gonna do good, but playing in the AHL will be a big jump for him.

My vote went to Shinkaruk... and my next vote just may go to Gaunce. Both of them came a long way this year. Judging them only by their stats sells them short.

Yossarian54

Oct 12, 2011
Perth, WA
Cassels. Excellent year to year improvement.

Shinkaruk's struggles at a pro level have me wary, but hopefully he can build on a better second half.

Demko is years off and goalies are a crapshoot.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Bah I voted Cassels, but it's entirely possibly that Shinkaruk/Gaunce/Demko/some D man end up being better. Cassels has yet to play pro. I think he projects fairly well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad