Prospect Info: Vancouver Canucks Top 25 Prospects 2015 - #4

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
It's that time of year again! The HF Vancouver Canucks board will be ranking the team's top 20 prospects (including the 2015 draft selections). Polls will be left open for 24 hours.

Feel free to explain your choices and suggest who should be added to the list for the next poll.

Rank | Player | POS | HT | WT | DOB | Poll%
1| Jake Virtanen |RW|6.01|207|Aug 17, 1996| 80.00%
2| Jared McCann |C|6.00|185|May 31, 1996| 68.21%
3| Brock Boeser |RW|6.00|191|Feb 25 1997| 57.14%
4|???|???|???|???|???| ???

*Please note that only players that Hockey's Future considers to be prospects will be included, meaning Horvat, Baertschi, Vey, and Markstrom will be excluded from voting.

2014 ranking: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1719893
2013 ranking: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1486113

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Cassels or Demko.

I go Cassels because I think Demko is like ~4 years away from seeing NHL action.

I guess Corrado/Shinkaruk could be an option as well. But at this point i have more confidence in Cassels turning into a #3C than Shinkaruk turning into a top 6 winger (that or bust imo). So i would go Cassels even though Shink has the higher ceiling.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Surprised Demko is winning by such a landslide. Goalies are extremely hard to predict. I'm going against the grain and picking Corrado. If he wasn't stuck in the press box for half the year last season and actually given a chance I think he would be a permanent fixture on our blueline. His handling has been awful since the new regime took over.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Shinkaruk.

If he played in the WHL last year and ripped up the league he would no doubt be top 3 in this poll, but because he turned pro and struggled to start going through the growing pains of learning a pro game his stock is falling.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
If only Demko wasn't a goalie this would've been easy.

I'm going with Gaunce for a few reasons. His skating and shot seem to have improved tremendously. He's always been a good passer, I think his ceiling is a lot higher than previously believed. He's close to being able to help the big club, probably closer than anyone on this list except Corrado (who I find it increasing hard to get excited about). Can't see him not being at the very least a good 3rd liner.

Cassels could pass him quickly. I want to see him at the pro level first that's all. Subban and Shinkaruk have huge upside but that size is still a large hurdle to jump. Grenier's a wildcard. Demko is still a goalie.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Surprised Demko is winning by such a landslide. Goalies are extremely hard to predict. I'm going against the grain and picking Corrado. If he wasn't stuck in the press box for half the year last season and actually given a chance I think he would be a permanent fixture on our blueline. His handling has been awful since the new regime took over.

Yeah. I can see why Demko is getting all these votes here and it does make some sense. But at the same time, goaltenders can be such a crapshoot until they hit the Professional game. Until Demko clears that hurdle, it's hard for me to rate him quite that highly in our prospect pool.

I go with Cassels here. But this is clearly a point where the polls really open up, quite a few guys you could make a valid case for at this point.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Part of me wonders what the results would be if Cassels was a first rounder. I think he's ahead of Shinkaruk right now but Hunter really showed some improvement the last part of the season. I think Shinkaruk could be the biggest surprise in terms of development next year.
But as of right now I probably would go:
1. Demko
2. Cassels
3. Shinkaruk.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

Yeah. I can see why Demko is getting all these votes here and it does make some sense. But at the same time, goaltenders can be such a crapshoot until they hit the Professional game. Until Demko clears that hurdle, it's hard for me to rate him quite that highly in our prospect pool.

I go with Cassels here. But this is clearly a point where the polls really open up, quite a few guys you could make a valid case for at this point.

For me it is not just that, but he has to come back from major surgery, and while most do just fine, he has more to prove to me.

Went with Shink, as I liked the fact even when it didn't show on the scoreboard for him, all I heard was improvemnt from the Utica crowd. Slow start, but a great learning year.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto

Yeah, I'm in the same boat here. I just have a difficult time getting too excited about Demko until he starts playing pro hockey. Cassels seems like a much safer bet to me at this point.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
To me it's Cassels. Demko still has lots to prove and a few holes in his game. I wanna see how he does with his new mobility. He looked stiff before. If he looks more quick and agile then I'd move him up even higher. But if he's the same then I'd drop him even lower. He's definitely not as polished as Schneider at the same age.

Cassels
Demko
Shinkaruk
Gaunce
Brisebois

Are the next five in my opinion.

ugghhh

Apr 17, 2009
Shinkaruk.

If he played in the WHL last year and ripped up the league he would no doubt be top 3 in this poll, but because he turned pro and struggled to start going through the growing pains of learning a pro game his stock is falling.

I agree.

Shinkaruk has too much skill for me to pass up here. If we're trading with a team, and they wanted two of Shinkaruk, Cassels, Demko... I'm keeping Shinkaruk.

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
Demko has more volatility as a prospect than say Cassels, but for a crappy team like the Canucks I'm looking for highest potential over chance to hit.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Shinkaruk.

I think that it would have been a bad sign if Shinkaruk had went back to the WHL when he's pro-eligible

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Demko has more volatility as a prospect than say Cassels, but for a crappy team like the Canucks I'm looking for highest potential over chance to hit.

For a crappy team like the Canucks, they need NHL players period. Dont even worry about highest potential. We have had "highest potential" too many times already with Hodgson Schroeder Rodin Jensen Shinkaruk. We just need NHL players. Last Canuck prospect to make it full time as a regular outside of Horvat whose still on the team is Jannik Hansen...the other guy who made it as a regular after then on were Raymond and Hodgson..

Talking about skaters of course. Goaltending isnt the biggest problem for the Canucks, and it hasnt been since Luongo came on board.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad