They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Vancouver Canucks-Carolina Hurricanes

To :canes

Chris Tanev

To :nucks

Roland Mckeown

Either side can add to even out the deal if necessary.

The Canucks get a young piece that by all intents and purposes, is an NHL caliber dman that is simply playing on a team with a stacked right side. I also see a guy like Mckeown being kind of the “ying” to Hughes “yang” (ie Hughes being the flashy offensive driving dman while Mckeown being the non flashy stablizing presence).

The Canes get a solid vet that can help them if they make the playoffs either this season or next. With the Canes rumored to be shopping Pesce to Toronto, they might need a veteran guy to fill the shoes of Pesce.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
And from what I hear, they’ll use Pesce to acquire said scoring forward.

My idea is that we give you Tanev (for Mckeown) to replace the loss of Pesce.

OK but why not just use McKeown to replace Pesce? You just said he's stuck behind a stacked Canes D so why would they trade him if they are looking to move another D for a marginal upgrade, if that when they can just slot McKeown into the lineup, it's not like they're trying to win the cup exactly this season.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
OK but why not just use McKeown to replace Pesce? You just said he's stuck behind a stacked Canes D so why would they trade him if they are looking to move another D for a marginal upgrade, if that when they can just slot McKeown into the lineup, it's not like they're trying to win the cup exactly this season.
Maybe more comfort in knowing that they have more of a proven vet?

I figured that it wouldn’t hurt Benning to inquire.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Maybe more comfort in knowing that they have more of a proven vet?

I figured that it wouldn’t hurt Benning to inquire.

Canes have lots of vet presence on D and should be comfortable bringing a rookie up who can lean on the rest of the team if needed.

The Canes are looking to move a D for a forward so giving them not that deal won't be of interest. If you want McKeown instead of Pesce you'd have to offer a young scoring forward prospect that the Canucks don't have to offer at the moment.

Best to just keep draft picks and sign vets on one year deals who can be moved for picks at the deadline without making any premature moves. While unbelievably unlikely, it's possible that Woo, Hughes, Juolevi and Utunen all become impact NHLers, so there's no reason to jump the gun and just continue drafting smart.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
What the heck.

1) Canes do not need another dman.

2) Canucks get screwed BIG TIME

1) they might if they trade Pesce for scoring help.

2) I stayed in my post that one of the sides could add to even out the deal. Valuation of players is extremely tricky.

3) it’s still a little early to tell, but the Canucks seem to be playing fairly well without Edler and Tanev. I haven’t really noticed a huge dip in their level of play without those two (unlike in previous years). We might be able to survive without them now.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Again discussion of Pesce being traded. That needs to be off the table. So far in February Pesce has been the D-man on the ice for the most minutes against other teams' top lines:

Feb. 3 Calgary: Gaudreay/Monahan/Lindholm don't get on the score sheet at even strength.
Feb. 5 Pittsburgh: Pesce takes the most minutes head-to-head with Crosby. Canes shut out the Penguins.
Feb. 8 NYR: Coming into game Kreider/Zibanejad/Zuccarello line has been one of the top three scoring lines in NHL for 2019, Pesce is deployed the most of any-man against top line and Rangers are shut out.
Feb. 15 Edmonton: Pesce primarily matched up with McDavid line. McDavid has no points.
Feb. 16 Dallas: Pesce and Faulk face Benn/Seguin/Radulov. Another shutout.

Goaltending has been excellent. But this doesn't happen by accident.

Brett Pesce is playing first pairing minutes on his off-side and the opponents are not scoring. Unless the return is a 70+ point center, no trade makes any sense.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
the absolute last team that would need a RHD lol

just for fun if you are happy with that return

Toronto: C.Tanev
Carolina: C.Brown
Vancouver: R.McKeown

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
And from what I hear, they’ll use Pesce to acquire said scoring forward.

My idea is that we give you Tanev (for Mckeown) to replace the loss of Pesce.

They don't need to. In a position where they need to move one of Pesce, Hamilton or Faulk for a top-6 F; AND one of TVR or Faulk to make a spot for Fox when they sign him.

Non-1D defenseman (regardless of handedness) have between negative and zero value to Carolina.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
1) they might if they trade Pesce for scoring help.

2) I stayed in my post that one of the sides could add to even out the deal. Valuation of players is extremely tricky.

3) it’s still a little early to tell, but the Canucks seem to be playing fairly well without Edler and Tanev. I haven’t really noticed a huge dip in their level of play without those two (unlike in previous years). We might be able to survive without them now.
Carolina wouldn’t add even if they traded Pesce look at their depth chart. Value wise we get destroyed. A right handed dman that hasn’t even proved if he can be in the NHL for a top 4 right handed shutdown dman is horrendous.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The Canes should do it and flip him immediately for the better return the Canucks could get elsewhere.

It's D+5 and McKeown has barely played at the NHL level. That's not a knock on him; he's just gotten locked out because of what's in front of him. I don't think he's worth much in a trade, particularly with GMs knowing that he's running out of race track on his waivers exemption.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
If you want Pesce, you better be ready to cough up Demko and Gaudette...and that probably is not enough...

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
No thanks. Tanev would get injured during one of the Canes post game celebrations. Then we’d lose a defenseman to injury and they’d stop doing the celebration. Can’t take that risk.
Tanev could get injured his jar while brushing his teeth, but that being said he is not available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad