Value of: Vancouver Canucks 7th Overall (2018 Draft Pick)

Are you interested in acquiring this pick? (If so move down or move up?)

• Total voters

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
Jim Benning Canucks GM stated at the draft lottery the team would explore both trading up and trading down options. The cost of trading up into the top 3 where he likely would want to be will cost too much. So how about we discuss the value of that 7th overall pick to a team themselves looking to move up to 7th overall.

Vancouver also has a few youngish players who might be on the move.
Markus Granlund (RFA)
Sven Baerstchi (RFA)
Ben Hutton (Under contract)

Please feel free to use these guy in any proposals if you feel the need. If the deal involved multiple first I can imagine our 2nd overall pick also being available. Chris Tanev who is a good #3 d man. Is also likely available if you are interested in using him in your proposals as well.

Cheers

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Leafs would trade the #25 pick, plus B prospect for Tanev. You could package the #7 and #25 and likely move up to #4 or #5 if such teams were interested.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Leafs would trade the #25 pick, plus B prospect for Tanev. You could package the #7 and #25 and likely move up to #4 or #5 if such teams were interested.
While I agree that I wouldn't pay more than that for Tanev, it probably wouldn't be a smart move for the Canucks to lose Tanev just to move down 2 or 3 spots.

Reactions: Mr Plow and Jets88

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Tbh I’d rather just draft twice in the first round than move up after. But this offer is still too light. The price to stop first round busting is Lilli otherwise I’m not really interested dealing with the leafs

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Jan 21, 2018
Tbh I’d rather just draft twice in the first round than move up after. But this offer is still too light. The price to stop first round busting is Lilli otherwise I’m not really interested dealing with the leafs

I'm sure the Leafs don't mind waiting 2 seasons to sign Tanev for free in that case.

KeziaTML

Apr 29, 2010
Calgary, AB

Ah yes. Notable Stanley Cup MVP Chris Tanev. He of declining year over year games played in each of the last 4 years.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Oh good you guys have turned a completely unrelated thread back into another Tanev to Toronto.

Bravo. Bravo.

Can we just say no Torono deals so this thread doesn't turn into garbage like it usually does?

Reactions: sebsisles and jd22

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
This looks like a bad idea to me. The Canucks need skilled forward prospects. They should just draft the BPA. I can't see any of the teams above them having any interest in players like Granlund or Baertschi. Perhaps a player like Tanev could be of interest, but one of those top drafting teams would need to do something drastic (like sign Tavares) before any of them are ready to compete and would be looking for a 28 year old d-man.

Edit: You're also inviting a plethora of useless trade proposals like Leivo + late 1st.

Reactions: Kreator

member 105785

Doubt anyone in the top 3 is trading down and I have 4-8 around the same so I'd rather just pick around there

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I'd rather stand pat and draft one of Bouchard/Dobson/Wahlstrom/Boqvist/Hughes then move down. Also I'd like to move Tanev for mid 1st and just keep the pick, not trade it to move up, there's not a huge drop off..
Yep pretty much. Id entertain an overpay for Tanev to aquire another 1st round pick but the availability of high quality prospects at 7 is nothing to wanna trade (again unless theres a crazy overpay)

Jan 21, 2018
Yep pretty much. Id entertain an overpay for Tanev to aquire another 1st round pick but the availability of high quality prospects at 7 is nothing to wanna trade (again unless theres a crazy overpay)

lol what has Tanev done to require an overpay? Do you think Benning did such a great job that he's in a position to demand an overpayment to move Tanev?

That moment was a couple years ago, but unfortunately you have a bottom 5 GM that didn't realize his team was heading downhill and that trading Tanev while his value was sky high was the smart move to make.

No team will overpay for Tanev now that injuries are basically a consistent part of his game and his contract is running shorter each passing year.

So either you keep Tanev and he walks in 2 years, or you lower your unreasonable asking price to get something good while you still can.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
lol what has Tanev done to require an overpay? Do you think Benning did such a great job that he's in a position to demand an overpayment to move Tanev?

That moment was a couple years ago, but unfortunately you have a bottom 5 GM that didn't realize his team was heading downhill and that trading Tanev while his value was sky high was the smart move to make.

No team will overpay for Tanev now that injuries are basically a consistent part of his game and his contract is running shorter each passing year.

So either you keep Tanev and he walks in 2 years, or you lower your unreasonable asking price to get something good while you still can.
Hes pretty dam good. Will be happy keeping him unless theres an overpay pal :nod:

Reactions: Steven Rush

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
i'm referring to the 7th overall pick

That's the idea. Bouchard, Boqvist, Dobson, Hughes have potential to be in play at that pick. So, I can't see them trading that pick unless they were getting a young NHL ready defenseman with #1-2 potential, which is something the Leafs also lack (assuming they don't want to part with Rielly) and trading Liljegren would be a lateral move.

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle

You’re kind of a broken record with this. Every single Canuck thread you make a point to come say how Benning is terrible.
A: We get it
B: He really isn’t that bad. He’s made his mistakes like any GM has. He’s also made some great moves and done a pretty good job drafting after the 2014 draft in which he still came out with a potential star goalie

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Jan 21, 2018
You’re kind of a broken record with this. Every single Canuck thread you make a point to come say how Benning is terrible.
A: We get it
B: He really isn’t that bad. He’s made his mistakes like any GM has. He’s also made some great moves and done a pretty good job drafting after the 2014 draft in which he still came out with a potential star goalie

A: No you don't, or I wouldn't need to remind homers that Tanev isn't going to get a mid 1st

B: Yes he is. Please elaborate what these great moves are because I can't think of a single one aside from Boeser. And can you confidently say that Benning is responsible for him or even Demko or that it was his scouting staff? Based on the rest of his terrible moves I'm more inclined to think he had some help with those selections.

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
A: No you don't, or I wouldn't need to remind homers that Tanev isn't going to get a mid 1st

B: Yes he is. Please elaborate what these great moves are because I can't think of a single one aside from Boeser. And can you confidently say that Benning is responsible for him or even Demko or that it was his scouting staff? Based on the rest of his terrible moves I'm more inclined to think he had some help with those selections.

You don’t need to remind anyone. No seriously it’s okay. And well let’s see he made the Pettersson selection, and has gotten a good haul of prospects from his later picks. Also the Burrows and Hansen deals, the Leipsic deal, Baertschi deal, the granlund deal. Vrbata was a great signing, got a second for Bieksa. He’s done plenty of good.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia

How the hell did we get on Tanev AGAIN on a thread that was about the 7th OV pick?

As it pertains to Tanev, unless there is an overpayment, we are better off to keep him and let him groom Juolevi. If we move him now for market value, or less than which is what everyone here keeps posting, then Juelovi will end up playing with one of Stecher, Gudbrandson, Pouliot or Biega. That is terrible in terms of helping him develop in the NHL. So again for the millionth time, unless we get something crazy, Tanev will stay. He turns 29 next season, so he's not really that old. If we can lock him into a 3 year deal after this contract that would be ideal in all honesty. It's not like he doesn't like Vancouver, the only reason we are looking at potentially moving him is to accelerate a rebuild; however, he very well could still be part of that group.

As for the OP which is what we should be discussing.... There's no real reason to trade down for us. We have the likes of Granlund, Baertschi and Hutton who could be moved for picks as is. At 7 we will be able to select either a faller like Tkachuk or a very good defensive prospect in my order of preference: Bouchard, Dobson, Hughes, Boquist.

VanGreenGuy

Aug 28, 2010

Weird. The only place in this thread I see someone throwing out Tanev for a mid-first is here:

Also I'd like to move Tanev for mid 1st and just keep the pick, not trade it to move up, there's not a huge drop off..

Hardly sounds like a hard requirement, just a personal opinion about what they would like to get for Tanev. Which, I believe your perspective is that this would be an overpay... which is essentially what is floated by another poster as when it makes sense to entertain trading Tanev:

Id entertain an overpay for Tanev to aquire another 1st round pick

So not only is your post taking the original intent of the thread off topic, you're clearly just trolling. Nobody needs you to remind anybody of anything, especially in what should be a completely unrelated thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad