Confirmed with Link: [VAN/WIN] Canucks acquire 2022 3rd Round Pick for D Nate Schmidt (Part 2)

bertuzzi2bure

Apr 14, 2021
Happy about the trade. He is a #4 being paid like a #2. Not sure why he gets so loved on this board. Greens system sucks and he definitely didnt flourish under it, but he still looked like trash most of the time.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I didn't get a chance to go through the other thread yet, but I have to wonder how unhappy he was here that they HAD to move him now. Think about how much his value would have gone up if they tried to move him at the trade deadline.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
With Montour getting resigned (at only 3.5 M/year) the RD options are quite limited on the market. Friedman believes Savard is going to Montreal so that isnt likely. Maybe Hakanpaa? Hope we dont get Ceci, Gudbranson, or Barrie... or someone ancient

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
thought we would even get less, considering the flat cap, him wanting out, NTC.

Said last year when a lot of posters were praising the deal, that Vegas literally dumped the contract they don't want to upgrade to Alex Pietrangelo.

Even in Vegas, thought he was a flawed #3 playing on a very good team/system. Wouldn't have signed him as a free agent for 5.9, so why did we have to lose a 3rd.

Now don't stop here, and move Myers too.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Disagree. Also best defender on the Canucks is like saying Nickelback was the best concert of the night when the opener was Bieber.

Who was better? Schmidt-Edler were buried in tough minutes for most of the year and managed to tread water while the rest of the blueline bled goals from easier minutes.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
How many times has dim jim acquired someone only to get rid of them next year
Actually pretty rare, especially guys he traded for. He tends to double down the shit out of the trash he acquires and shoves them in our face. Remember Granlund and Gubranson?

bertuzzi2bure

Apr 14, 2021
Who was better? Schmidt-Edler were buried in tough minutes for most of the year and managed to tread water while the rest of the blueline bled goals from easier minutes.

Hughes. Only defenesman who could actually make a play happen. No he was no very good defensively, but he could at least make a proper pass. Everyone else was a legit black hole (including Schmidt). I know you and most will disagree, but I still think he was our #1 and most important. Edler was a trainwreck. Slow as hell.

Anyways, I dont necessarily dislike Schmidt. But he is WAY overpaid. He should be making 3.5-4 and a #4.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Hughes. Only defenesman who could actually make a play happen. No he was no very good defensively, but he could at least make a proper pass. Everyone else was a legit black hole (including Schmidt). I know you and most will disagree, but I still think he was our #1 and most important. Edler was a trainwreck. Slow as hell.

Anyways, I dont necessarily dislike Schmidt. But he is WAY overpaid. He should be making 3.5-4 and a #4.

No kidding, when a defense pairing's only focus is not to get scored against, naturally they will have better "metrics".

Think about it, if you barely leave your own zone, there's no 2-on-1s against...

Edler/Schmidt was not good. Wouldnt' surprise me Schmidt hates playing with Edler.

Reactions: Canucker

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Hughes was horrific last year aside from scoring some points on the PP.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
I personally always have disliked a Dman playing his wrong side. It just bleeds goals against, and you are gambling he will outscore what he fails to defend. Its always a losing bet.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
The whole defensive corps was abysmal...from the coaching on down to all the players. None of them really deserve any praise for what they did last season...except maybe Jack Rathbone in his limited time. I don't know how or why they've stuck with Baumer throughout this mess? This coming year will be a real litmus test for Brad Shaw's reputation as a defensive coach.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
The whole defensive corps was abysmal...from the coaching on down to all the players. None of them really deserve any praise for what they did last season...except maybe Jack Rathbone in his limited time. I don't know how or why they've stuck with Baumer throughout this mess? This coming year will be a real litmus test for Brad Shaw's reputation as a defensive coach.

The thing is Shaw was brought in to run the PP?

Actually I think his role has more power than the other assistants. Really hope he teaches Hughes/Rathbone how to defend.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
We should’ve gotten close to Dillon offer… should’ve been a split for both. In no world is Dillon worth more! Classic case of too little too late.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad