Post-Game Talk: Van Ryn's system and Jones hand another loss

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Jones was useless last night and cost us, but it is the first time I can remember that happening. I also feel like there were a couple wins he stole. He has already contributed far more than I would have thought, even if he is below average from here.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
To spend on what? The free agent field was garbage. Or should we have traded more assets? The summer obviously wasn’t ideal, but it’s better than the alternative of handing out more bad long term deals to average players.
Bunting, Ian Cole, JVR would have been ok. I would definitely take Kerfoot back over Domi. but regardless of whom if it's not possible to spend money for good players in UFA then I wish people would stop talking about cap space as a good and vital thing and a necessary precondition for improving your team

myleafs

May 25, 2021
I'm no keefe lover at all, I think he has been the weak link come playoffs time for this team, but idk man we haven't given him much, had the players been like they should've he should've been able to build a team that scores a ton, and has some issues on the backend. we could then address that at the deadline, but as of now our depth guys cannot score or defend. I do think some of the goals we are giving up are bad structure and some bad line calls, but alot of it is also indiviual mistakes

he has a solid dman in benoit that was added and a backup in jones, everyone else is ranging from meh to horrible. domi and bert isn't just on keefe, i do think a bit more line shuffling should be done as it can't get worse than this, maybe domi-marner as that worked well when they played together last time, but those two, especially bertuzzi have been awful. Keefe's gameplans aren't the reason bertuzzi has blown 4-5 completly empty nets, including last night which could've given us a 4-3 lead. Bertuzzi has been as bad of a signing as ritchie was

you'd see a 50 point tavares there. He is barely at a 60 point pace with a 110 point player or 95 point player

tavares is very useless without nylander or marner. He cannot get to prime scoring chances with the puck and he cannot pass it to players who are there. He is ok at standing in front of the net when a dynamic skater is doing alot of the work and getting the attention and he can be an annoyance to the goalie and grab some rebounds,
Tavares doesnt play the game the way willy or marner play so I would just put him with Bert and Jarncrok and see how that goes....

Knies Domi marner
Pontus matthews Nylander
Bert Tavares Jarnkrok
gregor Kampf mcmnn

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
if it's not possible to spend money for good players in UFA then I wish people would stop talking about cap space as a good and vital thing and a necessary precondition for improving your team
It's interesting, isn't it. We're supposedly screwed if we don't trade all of our best players because cap space this, cap space that, but then we have 20m+ in cap space, and suddenly it's useless and impossible to get competent players to improve our team with it.

Reactions: leafs in five

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Do not add to this team. We need to wait until Tavares is gone. In the meantime just keep our picks and hold pat

If the players complain, tell em straight up, the core players took too much and we have to fix our prospect pool.
The 25 1st and 2nd are already gone, thanks Dubas

Reactions: Racer88

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
It's interesting, isn't it. We're supposedly screwed if we don't trade all of our best players because cap space this, cap space that, but then we have 20m+ in cap space, and suddenly it's useless and impossible to get competent players to improve our team with it.

It isn't as simple as 'have money, buy players'. It depends who is available, where they want to play, and how much it makes sense to pay then compared to what they are being offered elsewhere. This ain't like having money and going to Best Buy to buy some toys.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I forgot about that. This team is in long term trouble.

They need to fire Keefe and then trade some players at the deadline for picks or prospects. Even if they make the playoffs, they aren't winning a round this year so just accept that and restock.

Reactions: Moonman

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
The Canucks are also not a shot volume team. They tend to move the puck around to try to maximize the likelihood of scoring. The players have spoken to that previously.
It's where looking at things like xGF and HDCF are helpful rather than shots. Realistically the Nucks controlled the flow early and got a few soft goals. Demko gave a few softies back in the second

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Van Ryan system's has been in decline since the Blues won the cup, and even without some losses there, it shouldn't have been that bad. It was a system issue with the Blues, and so far early returns aren't great here. The mocking comments don't hide facts.

• Haha
Reactions: Bomber0104

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
It isn't as simple as 'have money, buy players'. It depends who is available, where they want to play, and how much it makes sense to pay then compared to what they are being offered elsewhere.
That's kind of the whole point. People advocate trading away our best players, with this idea that we'll be able to take that money and not only replace the impact of the superstars, but improve the team beyond that. But when you have money, you start to realize limitations, and hopefully some realize that that isn't as simple a task as they may have thought. Cap space can be helpful, and we should have got much better returns from 20m+ than we did this past offseason, but cap space isn't a magic fix-all, and middle-tier UFAs are usually the least cap efficient.

Last edited:

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
the playins were there to determine who made the playoffs , that's why they weren't called ''playoffs''

anyway it doesn't matter , Dubas will never be back regardless of how much his supporters whine (not saying your one of them)
I wasn't really supporting Dubas, I was pointing out that because of silly covid rules the Leafs had to have a play in when their record in normal years qualified for the playoffs and shouldn't have even needed a playin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad