Van' Riemsdyk not available. Kadri's asking price is 'extremely high'

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Or... and this is just a thought, maybe you keep a 1st line LW. Ya know, the kind we'll be throwing hard-earned assets out the window for later...

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Am I the only one who is impressed with kadri's play recently? Pretty sure he has 6 points in his last 4 games and has been creating a lot of offense.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Am I the only one who is impressed with kadri's play recently? Pretty sure he has 6 points in his last 4 games and has been creating a lot of offense.

Nope. He's certainly not going unnoticed. With Marner almost destined to be a winger at the pro level, we need to sign him to some term if he's not asking 6 mil.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yup, that's exactly my point and the point that's been made here many times before. And that's when JVR get injured I thought, uh oh, there goes our opportunity to trade him now while his value is perhaps as I high as it ever will be.
Even if JVR was not hurt do you think Lou was planning on trading him before the deadline?

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Or... and this is just a thought, maybe you keep a 1st line LW. Ya know, the kind we'll be throwing hard-earned assets out the window for later...

In a little over two years, well before the Leafs are contending, JVR will be hitting free agency at the age of 29.

Serious question for you: at that point, would you rather give him a $7M+ deal that takes him to 35, or do you let him walk for nothing when another team inevitably does?

Personally, both of those options look terrible to me. Trading away a top line LW is a very painful move, but it's better than anything that can happen if we don't trade him.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
In a little over two years, well before the Leafs are contending, JVR will be hitting free agency at the age of 29.

Serious question for you: at that point, would you rather give him a $7M+ deal that takes him to 35, or do you let him walk for nothing when another team inevitably does?

Personally, both of those options look terrible to me. Trading away a top line LW is a very painful move, but it's better than anything that can happen if we don't trade him.

That's not necessarily true. He's had some trouble staying healthy and really hasn't put up monumental points, nor reached his full (expected) potential. He may not do any of that, and have a more reasonable price tag.

Either way, with his lack of physicality for his size, there's a good chance his body holds up well into his 30's. I don't think it's a bad idea to take a wait and see approach.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
That's not necessarily true. He's had some trouble staying healthy and really hasn't put up monumental points, nor reached his full (expected) potential. He may not do any of that, and have a more reasonable price tag.

Either way, with his lack of physicality for his size, there's a good chance his body holds up well into his 30's. I don't think it's a bad idea to take a wait and see approach.

The only way I can see him taking less than that is if he's no longer a bona fide #1LW. That defeats the point of holding onto him. Either he plays well and earns a contract with bad value for the Leafs*, or he plays mediocre and we should have sold high years ago.

*Impending UFAs never get "good" contracts.

Mar 26, 2010
Happy with this. JVR is a stud! He is young and on a great contract.

He can play on Stamkos's wing next season.

HockeyCA

Dec 15, 2009
The cap friendly contract is a sweetener - that's the big reason why it may make sense to trade him NOW as opposed to LATER as in 3-5 seasons time, the contract will be an entirely different story.

I'm assuming you disagree with the rest of my post then since you decided to completely disregard it.. Par the course for you though. It's practically impossible to have any sort of discussion, it's like speaking with a 5 year old. But what about this daddy. It's pointless.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Sounds a little like posturing and building up trade value as well.

Remember when Cliff Fletcher was always interested in adding someone at the deadline, and you'd have people like Mike Milbury or some small market manager hemming and hawing about how they couldn't get rid of so and so unless the price was sky high, and lo and behold, the Leafs cough up an arm and a leg to get some scrub?

To me, that sounds like what's going on with Bozak...

Okay but Bozak is not a scrub he's been a good NHL center his whole time in Toronto.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
I'm assuming you disagree with the rest of my post then since you decided to completely disregard it.. Par the course for you though. It's practically impossible to have any sort of discussion, it's like speaking with a 5 year old. But what about this daddy. It's pointless.

Your argument is that he's young and on a cap friendly contract. By the team the Leafs are remotely competitive, he'll be past his prime and on a cap-unfriendly contract. No one's ignoring your point, it's just not a good one.

HockeyCA

Dec 15, 2009
Your argument is that he's young and on a cap friendly contract. By the team the Leafs are remotely competitive, he'll be past his prime and on a cap-unfriendly contract. No one's ignoring your point, it's just not a good one.

If that's all you got from my series of posts, that's not my problem. Was trying to have a more in depth dialogue, instead of boiling things down to a Republican Party bumper sticker. Guess some around here are just always looking for direct confrontation.

Also, you must, and I mean must, be in the same camp in regards to how the Leafs handle another asset, Kadri, moving forward, right? Surely you have the same point of view/reasoning..

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
There's a strong argument to be made for trading JVR between now and when his deal expires. I'd wait until during or after next season, personally. I think he has potential to put up really big numbers next year. If we're going to deal him, I'd wait to see if he can push his value a little higher.

I like him a lot, but moving on from him may be the best overall move.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
If that's all you got from my series of posts, that's not my problem. Was trying to have a more in depth dialogue, instead of boiling things down to a Republican Party bumper sticker. Guess some around here are just always looking for direct confrontation.

Also, you must, and I mean must, be in the same camp in regards to how the Leafs handle another asset, Kadri, moving forward, right? Surely you have the same point of view/reasoning..

You didn't make more nuanced points than that. You made the same point many times with different language.

Kadri is the opposite of JVR. Two years younger, and under a more cap friendly contract for as much term as the team wants to give him.

If we keep JVR, we want to have him around when the Leafs are competitive, which means we'll have to sign him as a free agent. That means big money, and at least 6 years of term. 6 years after JVR hits UFA, he'll be 35. 6 years after Kadri signs his next contract will still keep him until the Leafs are competitive, but will be over by the time he's 31.

Kadri's contract situation and age make him a much more worthwhile investment than JVR.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site

JVR and Kadri are in two vastly different situations. Kadri can sign that bargain contract this summer, and it will expire before he's past 30.

JVR's will expire in two years, and he will likely get paid big bucks with a long term carrying him into his early to mid-30s.

I think a lot of it depends on how competitive we get over the next two seasons. If we don't become very good, re-signing JVR on a huge contract probably won't be the best move.

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
There's a strong argument to be made for trading JVR between now and when his deal expires. I'd wait until during or after next season, personally. I think he has potential to put up really big numbers next year. If we're going to deal him, I'd wait to see if he can push his value a little higher.

I like him a lot, but moving on from him may be the best overall move.

If the Leafs are planning to deal him, they might be better to do it now, rather than later. Remember, he has a NTC that kicks in this summer. Waiting to move him after that, would likely restrict the type of return we could get for him. I'd rather have the flexibility of being able to freely negotiate with all other teams, rather than ones selected by the player. :)

HockeyCA

Dec 15, 2009
You didn't make more nuanced points than that. You made the same point many times with different language.

Kadri is the opposite of JVR. Two years younger, and under a more cap friendly contract for as much term as the team wants to give him.

If we keep JVR, we want to have him around when the Leafs are competitive, which means we'll have to sign him as a free agent. That means big money, and at least 6 years of term. 6 years after JVR hits UFA, he'll be 35. 6 years after Kadri signs his next contract will still keep him until the Leafs are competitive, but will be over by the time he's 31.

Kadri's contract situation and age make him a much more worthwhile investment than JVR.

So it's the 400 or so days that makes all the difference, huh? They are practically the same age. JVR is, what, about a year to a year and half older?

"By the team the Leafs are remotely competitive, he'll be past his prime and on a cap-unfriendly contract."

Man, at least try and be consistent. Pretty funny stuff.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
If that's all you got from my series of posts, that's not my problem. Was trying to have a more in depth dialogue, instead of boiling things down to a Republican Party bumper sticker.

what does Kadri have to do with a Republican Party

wannabe politicians are running rampant around here lol

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Komarov played LW most of his career, and is better than anyone you mentioned.

I agree our LW depth is ****, but we shouldn't be making moves based on current roster holes in a rebuild.

but with JVR being 26 and filling that slot already why move him out to make the hole bigger? so yo hope some prospect will turn into JVR?

Players aren't done as soon as they hit 30... he's our best forward and can be a leader going forward.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
So it's the 400 or so days that makes all the difference, huh? They are practically the same age. JVR is, what, about a year to a year and half older?

"By the team the Leafs are remotely competitive, he'll be past his prime and on a cap-unfriendly contract."

Man, at least try and be consistent. Pretty funny stuff.

It's a year and a half. 575 days. 400 or so if you're blatantly grasping at straws to prove a point. Over a year and a half of prime years is a long time. Especially when JVR also comes with 4 more years of declining after age 31. I guess that's

Do you not understand how RFA and UFA works? UFA's get paid a lot more. JVR is a UFA, Kadri is an RFA.

HockeyCA

Dec 15, 2009
It's a year and a half. 575 days. 400 or so if you're blatantly grasping at straws to prove a point. Over a year and a half of prime years is a long time. Especially when JVR also comes with 4 more years of declining after age 31. I guess that's

Do you not understand how RFA and UFA works? UFA's get paid a lot more. JVR is a UFA, Kadri is an RFA.

In 2 years, JVR will be a UFA. In 2 years, Kadri will be a UFA. They will both be UFA's at the exact same time. Your logic and reasoning on this is non sensical. It doesn't make sense. Both are practically the same age, both will hit unrestricted free agency at the same time, and yet they are different? Crazy talk. If you like one player more than the other, don't be shy, just say it. You don't have to try and justify it with idiotic reasoning.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
In 2 years, JVR will be a UFA. In 2 years, Kadri will be a UFA. They will both be UFA's at the exact same time. Your logic and reasoning on this is non sensical. It doesn't make sense. Both are practically the same age, both will hit unrestricted free agency at the same time, and yet they are different? Crazy talk. If you like one player more than the other, don't be shy, just say it. You don't have to try and justify it with idiotic reasoning.

This may sound shocking, but Kadri can be locked for longer than two years. And because he's an RFA, he'll sign at sub-UFA prices (amazing, I know!). This allows the Leafs to spread the UFA discount over the term of his contract, which will include time when we will actually need good deals.

They're not practically the same age. One is nearly two years older, which is a big deal when dealing with prime hockey years. They don't both hit UFA at the same time, unless management messes up big time when negotiating Kadri's contract. Which they won't.

And you never address the fairly key point that JVR's next contract will take him until he's 34-35, while Kadri's will take him to 30-31. Huge difference there.

I like Kadri more because he's a better fit for the Leafs. If their ages and contract status was reversed, I'd be advocating to keep JVR and trade Kadri.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Was trying to have a more in depth dialogue, instead of boiling things down to a Republican Party bumper sticker.

You may have discovered the reason he is so popular. Those bumper stickers.

Maybe they think it's a label for the car ..... "Trunk"

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

If this is what passes in your mind for an attempt at discussion ... goodbye.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad