Confirmed Trade: [VAN/PIT] Mark Friedman and Ty Glover for Jack Rathbone and Karel Plasek

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Pens basically have two Ty Smiths now, interesting I guess. Friedman is an ok 6th defenseman who’s a pest.

One of those Ty Smiths is actually a great skater, his name is Rathbone. To me it looks like the actual Ty Smith could be failing AHL now.

Reactions: Turin

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
Rathbone definetly has potential, but his lust is quickly wearing off, he's going to be 25 in 5 months. Think about this... A team starving for a RD, traded their captain rather than give him another shot.

Offensively he's an NHL caliber player, but defensively he's so bad. I hope this is the fresh start he needs, because by all accounts he's a good guy. If not he joins the long list of Canucks all stars that we gave up recently in Madden, Dipietro, and Gaudette.
I would say offensively he is not NHL calibre. He has a great shot and decent puck skills, but he struggles to generate offense from the backend. He doesn't understand the game well enough to use his forwards, he relies almost exclusively on his own dynamic skillset. I'm not a big football guy, but he reminds me of those quarterbacks in football that only run the ball themselves; was it Tim Tebow? He tries to play like a forward by rushing the puck, skating too deep, and getting caught below the puck; and he'll do this a lot. When I watch him play, I get frustrated at him for not letting his forwards do their job, and wonder to myself if the points he gets are in lieu of the points his forwards are not getting, because they are too busy at the blueline covering for the Rathboner.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Rathbone needs a fresh start so I'm happy for him. Don't know much about Friedman but worth a shot I guess? Meh.
This doesn't mean anything, but it seems everyone who played on the Flyers from the time he was here hates this dude's guts

Reactions: theVladiator

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I doubt Rathbone even sniffs the NHL this year, unless they're just hammered with injuries. The Penguins are actually super deep on D right now in terms of "guys who can survive in short stints in the NHL". Beyond their regulars (Letang, Karlsson, Graves, Pettersson, Joseph and Ruhwedel), they have Ludvig and Shea as extras in Pittsburgh and Smith, Fedun, Ouellet, Butcher (currently injured) and Hajek (AHL deal) all in the AHL.

Rathbone is like #13 on the Penguins depth chart in terms of defensemen. He'd only be called up if the Penguins lost one of Karlsson or Letang and both Smith and Butcher would be called up to fill those roles before Rathbone would.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
This doesn't mean anything, but it seems everyone who played on the Flyers from the time he was here hates this dude's guts

That's quite an accomplishment, considering he only dressed for just 11 of Flyers games.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I member when Canucks fans wouldn't shut up about Cody Hodgson.

Canucks fans and overhyping prospects is like peanut butter and chocolate.

Hodgson's back was messed up and it was misdiagnosed. Prior to that, as a prospect he was worthy of the hype. Dominated the OHL and World Jr's. Tavares, Hodgson, Eberle were clutch in the tourney and I remember how hyped they all were not just by Canucks fans.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
That's quite an accomplishment, considering he only dressed for just 11 of Flyers games.
A few of them were at forward, too.

Part of it was that he didn't particularly like it here, like living in the area. But I also think he was just a very confident person in general, and it rubbed people the wrong way.

It was weird, the hardest the Flyers played in the Covid season was when he went to the Penguins and they all tried to get licks in on him.

Reactions: theVladiator

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
A few of them were at forward, too.

Part of it was that he didn't particularly like it here, like living in the area. But I also think he was just a very confident person in general, and it rubbed people the wrong way.

It was weird, the hardest the Flyers played in the Covid season was when he went to the Penguins and they all tried to get licks in on him.

He seems like the type of guy who would have no qualms about pushing the buttons of former teammates.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Pumped for Rathbone to get back to the east coast

Really hope the change of scenery works for my boy

he's got high upside with his ability for stretch passes

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He seems like the type of guy who would have no qualms about pushing the buttons of former teammates.
Oh god, that was so easy to do. Half those guys searched themselves on Twitter, and here too for that matter.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Just echoing what others have said, Friedman is a decent #6 or 7 depth defender that's never been really able to lock down his spot in the lineup for an extended period of time. I'd say he's an above average skater that likes to jump up into the rush and try and play aggressive if the play allows it. Not a huge guy but he's pretty physical. He's a shit stirrer, really good at baiting guys into taking penalties on him.

I'll never forget when Hextall claimed him off waivers from the Flyers, his first two games were against his old club. And they absolutely hated him haha. Got ran multiple times, was constantly talking shit, got into a fight, it was awesome. Don't know the guy but he seems like an asshole, in a good way if he's on your team.

Last edited:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Hows Rathbone's skating?
Good...He's very gifted offensively..

He had a brief stint with the Canucks last season, and had a really bad game against the Habs..In his defence though, the Canucks were an utter mess early last season, as far as positioning, and puck support went.

Reactions: Ryder71

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Rathbone is not good enough to play in the NHL and never will be. Sadly, Dubas simply doesn't understand that defencemen playing like trash in their own zone isn't acceptable, so he keeps bringing in these pylons. It's a minor symptom of a bigger problem caused by a GM who isn't qualified to work in hockey ops.
1697576177529.png

Reactions: DRAGO 18 and Turin

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Mmm starting to think we may need to add some bruiser to help handle the heat Friedman is gonna bring upon himself. On the flip side our PP is gonna love all the opportunities he brings as being a super pest !!

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Mmm starting to think we may need to add some bruiser to help handle the heat Friedman is gonna bring upon himself. On the flip side our PP is gonna love all the opportunities he brings as being a super pest !!
I wouldn't say "super pest" lol

What’s the deal with POJ Pens’ fans? Only averaging 12 min/game so far this year, does Sullivan just not trust him?
Karlsson and Letang each play 24+ minutes a night.

• Haha
Reactions: 82Ninety42011

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Pittsburgh won this trade. Rathbone is the only interesting player in this trade. He’s highly proficient as a pp qb, although his defense is really bad.

What a gigantic exaggeration lol.
Seems like Pittsburgh lost the trade because Rathbone is completely irrelevant here.

Friedman should have been starting, and served a different role that none of our Dmen can do.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Karlsson and Letang each have top 4 LHD partners, Pettersson and Graves.
I realize that, but looking more into it the difference with POJ compared to some other bottom pairing guys around the league is that he’s getting almost no time on special teams which makes sense given the rest of the defensive unit. Was just wondering if maybe he could be someone Pittsburgh may look at trading as he seems to be underutilized in that role?

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Rathbone is not good enough to play in the NHL and never will be. Sadly, Dubas simply doesn't understand that defencemen playing like trash in their own zone isn't acceptable, so he keeps bringing in these pylons. It's a minor symptom of a bigger problem caused by a GM who isn't qualified to work in hockey ops.
Yah gonna be hard to convince anyone with a brain that trading two cap dumps for Karlsson was a bad move. lmao. take a lap.

Reactions: uncleben and Turin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad