Proposal: VAN-PIT change of scenery

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Mikheyev + 25 2nd for Smith + 25 4th + 7th

Mikheyev seems like Tocchet's new Russian whipping boy and Smith has not fit in well with the Penguins, both could benefit from a new home. Dubas loves Mikheyev, Pens save a bit of cap for the next two years but take on an extra year, Vancouver gives up a better pick for that.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think the deal in the OP is reasonable in value, but I don't think the Penguins adding Mikheyev really does much to help them.

I think they could sell off Smith for a 3rd round pick without taking back Mikheyev's deal. I'd much rather take the $5 million in cap space (or a little bit less if they retain to get a better return) than just get a slight pick upgrade to swap Smith for Mikheyev.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA and orby

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
I mean Smith's the better player with the shorter contract, so I don't know why you expect the Penguins to be okay with a straight up swap.
I don’t think either player is a needle mover at this point and their numbers are basically the same this year. It’s debatable that Smith is the better player at this point or going forward.

I don’t expect the Pens to be okay with anything. I don’t think the swap is worth any kind of sweetener

Reactions: Peter Griffin

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don’t think either player is a needle mover at this point and their numbers are basically the same this year. It’s debatable that Smith is the better player at this point or going forward.

I don’t expect the Pens to be okay with anything. I don’t think the swap is worth any kind of sweetener

Smith has outproduced Mikheyev in every single season that Mikheyev has been in the NHL. It's not a huge margin, but it is very clear. Smith has also produced extremely well in the playoffs over his career, while Mikheyev has been awful in the playoffs over his career.

Canucks fans would do 1 for 1 because they get the better player who's signed for shorter, of course they'd do that. Why do the Penguins do that, though?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Big risk for Vancouver, where given his age...it's entirely possible that this is the start of Reilly Smith "falling off a cliff" in his play. That $5M becomes really problematic next year if that's the case and the "change of scenery" doesn't get him going again.

Whereas Mikheyev, i think it's more likely that he bounces back with more time to recover from that knee injury that does seem to be still hampering him a little bit.

I've always really liked Smith as a player though, and he's a solid enough 2-way player to offset a lot of what they'd be giving up with Mikheyev. So a swap is at least vaguely worth considering here. But i'm still really hesitant. Especially at the cost of a 2nd round pick. That's too rich for the amount of risk if he doesn't bounce back. Even if there is decent "upside" if he does get rejuvenated.

I also happen to think Mikheyev is getting dragged a little bit excessively by a lot of Canucks fans at the moment though. He happens to be in an extended scoring "slump" that is drawing a lot of ire. But he's still a strong 2-way player and realistically, slumps and hot streaks tend to characterize ~20G Middle-Sixers like him. So i think a lot of expectations are kind of misaligned on him. He could score a bundle of goals in the next few games and people would probably overcorrect back the other way.

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
Smith has outproduced Mikheyev in every single season that Mikheyev has been in the NHL. It's not a huge margin, but it is very clear. Smith has also produced extremely well in the playoffs over his career, while Mikheyev has been awful in the playoffs over his career.

Canucks fans would do 1 for 1 because they get the better player who's signed for shorter, of course they'd do that. Why do the Penguins do that, though?
Smith has had the better career, no argument. If we’re trading for the Knights version of Smith, rather than the current Pens version, sign me up! But I don’t believe we’re getting the guy back.

It’s all good, sounds like this isn’t a deal either Van or Pitt fans would do, which is fine.

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
In a vacuum it's fine, but miks deal is longer, he has an injury history that isn't ideal with first the wrist surgery then ACL surgery that seems to have coat him a step.

Smith is older but he's broken 50 5 of the last 7 years including just last year. He's been successful in the playoffs and his contract is done after next year.

For the nucks it's a short term upgrade with longer term cap flexibility. There should be a plus on their side.

Having said that given the huge chunk of cap space Vegas just opened up, I could see them taking smith back for the third rounder we gave them or a prospect. And the pens would be better off accepting the cap space moving forward for a lessor return.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Canucks say no. 1 for 1 is the only way the Canucks consider it. Mikheyev is signed for 1 more year but he is also 3.5 years younger, coming off a major surgery that generally takes a year before the player recovers. Smith seems to just be hitting the end of his career.

If 1 bad year of Dickinson made his value drop from 3rd round pick to negative 2nd round pick, 1 bad year of Rielly at 32 going on 33 is going to be even worse. Anyone that thinks he has positive value or even a 3rd round pick as one suggested is out to lunch. You'd be lucky to get out of his deal for future considerations with no retention. No one is going to want a soon to be 33 year old 5M player thats producing at a 40 point pace.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Good proposal and considering both clubs history with one another and players it could happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad