Proposal: (VAN) Peterson for (NewJ) Hughes (1st)

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
No chance. Petey just had a near PPG season. And what gets constantly overlooked is that his 200 foot game was very, very nice.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Pettersson sells tickets? Don't think so. And definitely not in New Jersey, where Hughes would be more valuable in that regard.
Pettersson does in fact sell tickets. A player this talented and dynamic puts people in seats. I'm sorry you can't see that. How can you say that about Hughes, a player who hasn't even played a single NHL game? You don't know how he'll be perceived by the fanbase and you certainly don't have a clue how he'll fair in the league. Ridiculous post

Reactions: bh53 and someguy44

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Pettersson does in fact sell tickets. A player this talented and dynamic puts people in seats. I'm sorry you can't see that. How can you say that about Hughes, a player who hasn't even played a single NHL game? You don't know how he'll be perceived by the fanbase and you certainly don't have a clue how he'll fair in the league. Ridiculous post
usa boy in usa

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Even though they Love Peterson in Vancouver, this will bring about the Second Dawning of the Sedin's Era.

Plus; Peterson seemed to get Worse as the Season went On.

Do Both Team Do It?
I can't Trust the Opinion of someone Who writes Like This

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
lol

this Pettersson stuff is out of hand. Come on now.

I want whatever that Canuck fan has been drinking....

We would most definitely trade Pettersson 1-for-1 for McDavid and a handful of other NHLers. But, the list would be select because we do (and most of the league seems to agree) think Pettersson is a rather special player with a high upside.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Pettersson > Hughes in my opinion. It is obviously hard to decide since Hughes has not played a single NHL game, but from what I have seen, Pettersson is the superior player. His all round game is better, his shooting is better and his defensive play is much better.

Reactions: John Johnson

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Pettersson is fantastic player. But 1st overall picks, especially when there are prospects like Hughes available, are very costly.

The Flyers dealt Forsberg, Hextall, Duchesne, Ricci and two 1st rounders for Lindros in 1991 (after draft). The Blues offered two players plus three 1st round picks for 1st overall in 2007. The Islanders offered their entire draft to move from #4 to #2 in 2012 (they had Murray ranked #1).

So if Ray Shero puts 1st pick on open market, he would likely get more than Pettersson+10th overall...probably a sum that would wow all of us....someone is bound to love Hughes more than VAN does.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
A lot of people on this forum when they disagree with another user. They like to correct their spelling for some reason. I will do the same. It's Pettersson.

There should be a comma between "user" and "they" I think. Rest is fine and I agree with you.

Yeah Canucks1096, fr a psot correcting spelling it. Was, remarkably? hard to... read

Reactions: Belchior

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Just because theyre skilled brothers doesnt mean it'll be the Sedins all over again. The twins grew up playing side by side their whole lives and developed that dynamic. Its very likey EP40 will be just as effective with Quinn as Jack

Reactions: bh53

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Pettersson > Hughes in my opinion. It is obviously hard to decide since Hughes has not played a single NHL game, but from what I have seen, Pettersson is the superior player. His all round game is better, his shooting is better and his defensive play is much better.

Slightly contradictory, no?

"I haven't seen X play at the same level as Y, but from what I have seen from Y, Y is the superior player."

If you haven't seen Hughes at the NHL level, how can you definitively draw a conclusion like that?

Regardless, this thread should be locked. Vancouver keeps EP and New Jersey keeps the pick.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
If you haven't seen Hughes at the NHL level, how can you definitively draw a conclusion like that?

Do you want the boat, or the mystery box? The mystery box could be anything, even a boat!

I mean it's not that extreme, and I fully expect Hughes to be a great NHLer, but prospects get way over rated here, and often fizzle out or become less than expected. Pettersson is a much better known quantity, and a player that hasn't set foot on NHL ice yet can't be even compared to anyone who hasn't. I mean Matt Cooke had 112 points in an OHL season, no one is calling him a sniper. Malhotra was drafted 5th overall as a scoring forward. A lot can change the course of a player after the draft.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Do you want the boat, or the mystery box? The mystery box could be anything, even a boat!

I mean it's not that extreme, and I fully expect Hughes to be a great NHLer, but prospects get way over rated here, and often fizzle out or become less than expected. Pettersson is a much better known quantity, and a player that hasn't set foot on NHL ice yet can't be even compared to anyone who hasn't. I mean Matt Cooke had 112 points in an OHL season, no one is calling him a sniper. Malhotra was drafted 5th overall as a scoring forward. A lot can change the course of a player after the draft.
If were talking as prospects then it isnt close, Jack was superior in almost every way

So what gives? Pettersson was being hyped over in the Swedish league while Hischier played in the NHL and yet it was still ‘close’, but Jack is considered not close somehow?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
If were talking as prospects then it isnt close, Jack was superior in almost every way

So what gives? Pettersson was being hyped over in the Swedish league while Hischier played in the NHL and yet it was still ‘close’, but Jack is considered not close somehow?

Hischier was objectively better at the time of the draft. It's a lot closer then it was.

I'm not saying Hughes is some overperforming chump or that will Yakupov out, but hype in the SEL or isn't college the same as hype in the NHL. It's not the same as play in the NHL either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad