Confirmed with Link: [VAN/NYI] Alexandre Mallet & 2016 3rd-rd pick for Andrey Pedan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Pedan is a quality prospect, hard hitting and can put up points. No discipline.

We have too many D prospects and he wasn't getting enough time.

Master Radishes

Nov 29, 2011
Acton + Pedan = Cup.

But seriously, no idea about him. Hope he's worth giving up a 3rd for. (Not too concerned with giving up Mallet.)

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I really dislike trading picks so I hope this isn't true. I don't really see what Pedan brings to the table that we don't already have in the AHL. He's big, shoots left and doesn't have very good AHL stats.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I really dislike trading picks so I hope this isn't true. I don't really see what Pedan brings to the table that we don't already have in the AHL. He's big, shoots left and doesn't have very good AHL stats.

Stats mean nothing if you are a defensive D-man

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I hate moves like these. Absolutely hate them. What is with this organization and trading away mid round picks for projects? It's a trend that has followed us through three or four GM's now. This guys has played like 40 pro games in the last two and a half years with stints in the ECHL. Doesn't sound very promising.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I hate moves like these. Absolutely hate them. What is with this organization and trading away mid round picks for projects? It's a trend that has followed us through three or four GM's now. This guys has played like 40 pro games in the last two and a half years with stints in the ECHL. Doesn't sound very promising.

As if the 3rd round pick would be an absolute gem rather than a project itself. Just meh about this trade. Doesn't garner any reaction from me whatsoever.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Stats mean nothing if you are a defensive D-man

40 games in the last year and a half with stints in the ECHL is a pretty telling stat. Sounds like (another) waste of a mid-round pick. Why can't we be the ones sending our projects away for picks instead of acquiring other teams projects and watching them fail?

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
He's put up decent numbers in both the OHL and AHL (42gp, 5g 10a) for a defensive d-man. Nothing defining one way or another.

I haven't seen him play though, so not sure what might separate him from a guy like Polasek who might be a comparable that we let go (and is having a good season in the Czech league).

Will have to see him play before passing judgement on giving up the 3rd rounder.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
They very much do at lower levels. Defensemen need to be able to move the puck effectively to be an NHL defenseman and at lower levels that typically translates into points.

This. Although Pedan has put up OK numbers at every level.

_________

Pedan is a big, toolsy guy with a mean streak. Hockey sense questions ... not exactly my type of player on paper.

Not in love with trading a fairly high pick for a guy who has spent parts of the last two seasons in the ECHL. Strange move.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
As if the 3rd round pick would be an absolute gem rather than a project itself. Just meh about this trade. Doesn't garner any reaction from me whatsoever.

This is the kind of thinking here that really pisses me off. Good organizations are good at drafting because they make multiple selections in the first few rounds. Subban and Cassels are 4th and 3rd rounders, throwing away mid round picks is stupid and yet we constantly do it.

Apu

GotOutOfABinTime!
Mar 20, 2009
Poco
Me thinks Benning wants to do the dreaded Tryamkin-Pedan pairing down the road. :sarcasm:

Master Radishes

Nov 29, 2011
Look at it this way: we've stopped giving up 2nd rd picks and have gone down to giving up 3rds. That's progress!

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Wow, I assumed it was gonna be a 5th rounder at best. My guess was a 6th. I admittedly know very little about Pedan but at first glance I don't like this at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad