Proposal: VAN - NJ

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Canucks say no because there's a real chance Loui retires this year, his family moved back to Dallas and if he gets sent down he has to ride a bus for 2 years instead of selling his home in Vancouver and simply washing his hands of the Canucks.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Canucks say no because there's a real chance Loui retires this year, his family moved back to Dallas and if he gets sent down he has to ride a bus for 2 years instead of selling his home in Vancouver and simply washing his hands of the Canucks.

lol i think je rides the bus Alzner style.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Wouldnt it be simple enough to assume the deal happens due to Eriksson not wanting to retire?

Unfortunate for Vancouver that it would most certainly take their 2021 1st or a high-end prospect to move him

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
lol i think je rides the bus Alzner style.

Yup, that's certainly possible, but Eriksson has a career lifetime earning double what Alzner does.

Alzner is riding the bus for about 8 million, which is about 25% of his total career earnings (33m). Eriksson would be riding the bus for 4 million, which is about 5% of his lifetime earning (60m).

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Yup, that's certainly possible, but Eriksson has a career lifetime earning double what Alzner does.

Alzner is riding the bus for about 8 million, which is about 25% of his total career earnings (33m). Eriksson would be riding the bus for 4 million, which is about 5% of his lifetime earning (60m).

Money is money and athletes have trouble hanging it up.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Canucks say No, there not in a position to trade another 1st 2 years in a row.

I think you can trade Eriksson to an internal cap team with a player that has less cap but making more money. Eriksson 2 years 6 M cap but only 4 M in real cash. Find a player that has 2 years left with 3 or 4 M cap but real cash is 6 to 8 M left. An internal cap team might want to make that trade. If that player is not an useless player? Canucks throw in a later draft pick as well

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Money is money and athletes have trouble hanging it up.

Yup, however athletes also have trouble with their family living across the continent for 3 years without you.

Wouldnt it be simple enough to assume the deal happens due to Eriksson not wanting to retire?

Unfortunate for Vancouver that it would most certainly take their 2021 1st or a high-end prospect to move him

While the Canucks are certainly not in an enviable position, they're not nearly as bad as many seem to think. They've got 14m and change in space, 18m with Ferland LTIretired, to sign 2-3 forwards, 2-3 D and a goalie. Tanev and Toffoli will both likely be in the 4-5 range, Markstrom is a question mark, and then they only need to sign some number of Jake Virtanen, Troy Stetcher, Oscar Fantenberg, Tyler Motte, Adam Gaudette, Josh Leivo, and Zack McKewan to fill out the roster.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

The house he (Alzner) bought he can live in while playing for Laval, no need to live in a different area like Utica from Vancouver.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Yup, however athletes also have trouble with their family living across the continent for 3 years without you.

While the Canucks are certainly not in an enviable position, they're not nearly as bad as many seem to think. They've got 14m and change in space, 18m with Ferland LTIretired, to sign 2-3 forwards, 2-3 D and a goalie. Tanev and Toffoli will both likely be in the 4-5 range, Markstrom is a question mark, and then they only need to sign some number of Jake Virtanen, Troy Stetcher, Oscar Fantenberg, Tyler Motte, Adam Gaudette, Josh Leivo, and Zack McKewan to fill out the roster.

Hanging onto a hope that LE will retire is weak. The chances are so remote...

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Hanging onto a hope that LE will retire is weak. The chances are so remote...

I mean... I've already shown you why it's drastically more likely than seeing Alzner retire. To sum it up:

His whole family has left Vancouver and moved back to Dallas, leaving him in a large multimillion dollar mansion by himself.

He's going to be shipped to the east coast where he'll never see his family AND have to buy a new place to live.

He's made a drastically higher amount than Alzner has over his career

Instead of living on the east coast to squeeze out an extra 4-5m, he can sell his house for that much and go back to Dallas.

Eriksson has already gotten the big July 1st payoff this year.

The house he (Alzner) bought he can live in while playing for Laval, no need to live in a different area like Utica from Vancouver.

Very good point.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
I heard that argument last summer too. Eriksson actually makes 20% more if he’s sent to a Utica because of no escrow on contracts in the AHL. Also. He ow a a bunch of restaurants in Sweden that were in financial trouble BEFORE covid hit. I think if he get sent down he’ll ride the bus.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013

That's 60M before taxes, fees, escrow so really he's worth about half of that. Doubt he'll walk away from the rest of that money

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
As a devils fan, I'd rather use the cap space on young NHL players who are pricing themselves out of their current situation, even if it meant still giving up a good asset for them.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I mean... I've already shown you why it's drastically more likely than seeing Alzner retire. To sum it up:

His whole family has left Vancouver and moved back to Dallas, leaving him in a large multimillion dollar mansion by himself.

He's going to be shipped to the east coast where he'll never see his family AND have to buy a new place to live.

He's made a drastically higher amount than Alzner has over his career

Instead of living on the east coast to squeeze out an extra 4-5m, he can sell his house for that much and go back to Dallas.

Eriksson has already gotten the big July 1st payoff this year.

Very good point.

Neither would hang em up. Making millions playing the sport you love at a high level is better than sitting around a house with nothing to do.

You are dreaming. May as well dream up a LE trade where you get value back. Thatjust as unlikely!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad