Proposal: VAN-MTL

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
Not a sexy trade with great prospects/ star players involved, but rather not so good contracts exchange.

We all know Habs need C. Also, Nucks could use improvement on the back end.

Habs could use a real C that has speed
Nucks could use Alzner on LD (+ I think he'd look a lot better in the West with a slower pace/hitting game)

:nucks

Karl Alzner

:habs

Brandon Sutter

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Habs say no. Zero need for a bottom six C. Alzner is not great and is certainly overpaid but he serves a purpose on the team.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Sutter as a shutdown forward has more value to us. We don't need or want more underperforming D, we will keep or overpaid center, and I think that way everyone wins.

Cquant

May 14, 2015
Not a sexy trade with great prospects/ star players involved, but rather not so good contracts exchange.

We all know Habs need C. Also, Nucks could use improvement on the back end.

Habs could use a real C that has speed
Nucks could use Alzner on LD (+ I think he'd look a lot better in the West with a slower pace/hitting game)

:nucks

Karl Alzner

:habs

Brandon Sutter

Nothing against Alzner. The value on this is probably decent. We do not need more LHD. We need to get rid of LHD. We need more RHD.
We have a bunch of guys trying to move up from the AHL/Euro leagues, as well as 4 left handers with the current team.

Reactions: Hardworker33

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Habs say no. Zero need for a bottom six C. Alzner is not great and is certainly overpaid but he serves a purpose on the team.
What? I wouldn't pay for Sutter but Alzner is a big mistake on skates at 4.6M

It might be a small sample size on a team in trouble... I don't remember him being that bad with the Caps. It might also be an adjustment period since he always played with the Caps and lived in WSH

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
What? I wouldn't pay for Sutter but Alzner is a big mistake on skates at 4.6M

It might be a small sample size on a team in trouble... I don't remember him being that bad with the Caps. It might also be an adjustment period since he always played with the Caps and lived in WSH

Meh, Alzner is not as bad as people are suggesting. Yes, it was a mistake to sign him to that contract but at least he's serviceable as a shutdown dman. What would we do with Sutter? 3C when Pleks is gone? Maybe, but I would honestly try and roll with DLR, or just sign Pleks again in the summer. We don't really have anyone who can take Alzner's role if he's dealt. Both Sutter and Alzner are on bad contracts, that's for sure, but I just think there's more use for Alzner than Sutter right now with the Habs.

Reactions: KawaYui

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Meh, Alzner is not as bad as people are suggesting. Yes, it was a mistake to sign him to that contract but at least he's serviceable as a shutdown dman. What would we do with Sutter? 3C when Pleks is gone? Maybe, but I would honestly try and roll with DLR, or just sign Pleks again in the summer. We don't really have anyone who can take Alzner's role if he's dealt. Both Sutter and Alzner are on bad contracts, that's for sure, but I just think there's more use for Alzner than Sutter right now with the Habs.
How many shutdown dmen do you need?
Resign Plek? Are you in a minority there? I thought he was gone 99%. You resign 6 mil or you offer him the minimum? Really stunned here.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
How many shutdown dmen do you need?
Resign Plek? Are you in a minority there? I thought he was gone 99%. You resign 6 mil or you offer him the minimum? Really stunned here.

The closest we have for a shutdown dman apart from Alzner is Benn and he's likely on his way out next year, not as good as Alzner in that role either. As for Plekanec, I'm all for trading him as a rental this year. But we can still sign him again when he becomes UFA right? Not to $6M cap hit, obviously, but I don't think he's gonna ask for anything north of $3M. If we can get him at a reasonable price, why not?

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
The closest we have for a shutdown dman apart from Alzner is Benn and he's likely on his way out next year, not as good as Alzner in that role either. As for Plekanec, I'm all for trading him as a rental this year. But we can still sign him again when he becomes UFA right? Not to $6M cap hit, obviously, but I don't think he's gonna ask for anything north of $3M. If we can get him at a reasonable price, why not?
Thought about Schlemko and obviously Weber in that same role. Weber can also produce on pp but most agree he is not that pmd guy like Mete and Petry, the latter having a bad year imo.

Plekanec is the perfect symbol of what needs to change. Had a great career. Time to let go.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Thought about Schlemko and obviously Weber in that same role. Weber can also produce on pp but most agree he is not that pmd guy like Mete and Petry, the latter having a bad year imo.

Plekanec is the perfect symbol of what needs to change. Had a great career. Time to let go.

Schlemko is far from a shutdown guy imo and Weber plays a much more versatile role than just shutdown.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010

Why do I feel like you're being the typical HF contrarian here? I agree that Alzner is not as bad as some suggest, he actually seems to be growing into his role with the Habs. Sutter's a good centre too though. Both are a bit overpaid for what their ideal role is but the Habs' need at C, even at 3C, far outweighs their need for a shutdown LD.

I see nothing to suggest DLR can be or ever will be as good as Sutter in the 3C spot. I'm not giving up on the kid but you gotta be realistic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad