Confirmed with Link: [VAN/MTL] Canucks trade F Dale Weise for D Raphael Diaz

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Does he have the ability to stay in the top 6, including re-signing him for next year as a regular D?

That's what Canuck fans want to know about. With the reports of him being a good shot blocker and averaging 19:00 a game, is definitely solid.

But being called one of the softest players and being scratched 8 times this season definitely has a lot of question marks.

He can play at NHL level and we need spot holders until players can get back from injury since we lost both our spares. If Diaz plays well he'll make a good #6/#7/#8 option if they team chooses to resign him, if not then we let him walk and it is no loss.

People are really over thinking this, he's a Weber replacement not a Tanev/Bieksa.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
He can play at NHL level and we need spot holders until players can get back from injury since we lost both our spares. If Diaz plays well he'll make a good #6/#7/#8 option if they team chooses to resign him, if not then we let him walk and it is no loss.

Pretty much. I'm pretty sure Dale wasn't going to be getting a QO anyhow this off season from us so at least this is an asset that fills a greater need right now.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
Diaz is gonna grow on a lot of fans.

Hopefully this signals a change in philosophy for Gillis, Diaz is much closer to the 2011 Canucks' style than our current style.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Good first game in Montreal for Weise too. He brought a lot of energy to the 4th line.

This trade could be a win-win for both teams.

Mofletz

Aug 28, 2006
are fans serious about Diaz?

where does he belong when our D is healthy.

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Tanev
Stanton - Garrison

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
lol @ Weise.

One of the most useless players in the NHL and he has the gall to complain about his ice-time. Good riddance.

Reznor

Feb 20, 2013
Fribourg
Does he have the ability to stay in the top 6, including re-signing him for next year as a regular D?

That's what Canuck fans want to know about. With the reports of him being a good shot blocker and averaging 19:00 a game, is definitely solid.

But being called one of the softest players and being scratched 8 times this season definitely has a lot of question marks.

An article that better summarize Diaz abilities than the a lot of Habs fan comments I've seen until now
http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2...of-raphael-diaz-why-trading-him-was-a-mistake
I think he will be a good Dman for the third pairing and could be able to be a decent replacement for the #4 spot in case of need. His role will mostly depend of the health of other defensemen and if one of them is traded.

For the matter of being scratched so many times, I don't think there is any logic reason for that...

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
An article that better summarize Diaz abilities than the a lot of Habs fan comments I've seen until now
http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2...of-raphael-diaz-why-trading-him-was-a-mistake
I think he will be a good Dman for the third pairing and could be able to be a decent replacement for the #4 spot in case of need. His role will mostly depend of the health of other defensemen and if one of them is traded.

For the matter of being scratched so many times, I don't think there is any logic reason for that...

Good article.

Essentially traded a 4th liner for a 2nd pairing D, that's highway robbery. Of course, we'll be told otherwise by some Montreal faithfuls and a bunch of people from Alberta.

My guess is if Diaz can hold his play well enough, Gillis will look to move Edler and/or Bieksa.

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
Diaz had a terrific game tonight. He's not a big guy, but he seemed to be very comfortable with the puck and seemed to be very good at putting the puck in places that gave his teammates a good opportunity to score.

The guy had 13 shots towards the net.... Garrison had 3.

It also seemed that at the times when the Canucks had the most pressure, Diaz was on the ice, and there were a few times when I'd notice he made good decisions with the puck to keep the play alive in the opponents zone.

Didn't seem to have any glaring defensive liabilities. He's not going to throw bone crushing hits, but seemed to be in good position, he skates well, makes smart plays.

If I had to compare him to someone, I might say he's a poor mans Dan Hamhuis with possibly more offensive upside.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
I think adding Diaz gives us the option of moving Garrison back to his natural left side. He's really struggling on the right side and it's really effecting his play and productivity. I think pretty soon we'll see a pairing of:

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Tanev
Garrison - Diaz
Stanton

That's actually a pretty damn good core of dmen.

Also, adding Diaz allows us to take Hamhuis off the PP.

Garrison - Bieksa
Edler - Diaz

Demon Wolf

Feb 22, 2013
Habs fan here. Glad to see Diaz have a solid game, always liked him for us. He has no problems handling top 4 minutes, it would be a luxury to have him on the third pairing. He has great gap control and even though he isn't very physical he is great in his own zone. Clever decisions with the puck, good stickwork.

He was traded because of the emergence of Beaulieu, and Habs have Markov and Subban to re-sign which will be costly.

I don't know much about your PP setup but Diaz is very good there when given the chance, he was just third on the depth chart with Markov and Subban eating most of the time.

All in all, great player and I will miss him. Some Habs fans gave him a bad rep only because he isn't overly physical, and physicality is the only thing you judge Habs players on nowadays :laugh:

Luic

Nov 18, 2013
Vancouver
I can't believe we got Diaz for Weise. Weise has got to be the most useless player on the Canucks in awhile. He skates around like an idiot, has no hands or brain between it ears. Has never won a fight in his life an hits like a little fairy. Then has the audacity to ask for more ice time? come on get real. Anyways if Diaz can put a 25 minute effort like he did tonight not even including the goal he scored then I'm a happy camper. I wouldn't of cared if we would of have waved Weive tbh.

Last edited by a moderator:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
RH, cheap, reliable at ES, mobile, increases offense and helps the PP, a little small and soft but if he wasn't he wouldn't be a 3rd pairing guy. Great fit for a 3rd pairing with Stanton.

capebretoncanadien

Nov 29, 2008
Weise looked good tonight but I guarantee we (as Habs fans) will be eating a @%$ sandwich for the rest of the year at least on this one.

I am fast losing faith in Bergevin.

If you look at all his roster moves to date it screams inexperienced GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad