Confirmed with Link: [VAN/LA] Canucks acquire F Tyler Toffoli for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd Round Pick

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
Who would you sell and who wants to pay what easy to say harder to know if anyone's offered a worthwhile deal.
I was pro standing pat this year, not even selling. We should have been selling in previous years.

part of it is bad luck. Like with the division being wide open I can see the temptation to add. But all of a sudden the market went crazy thanks to TB paying a premium to basically complete their team.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Focht aside, with the emergence of Gaudette, you have to think Madden would have been in tough to ever play centre ice for the Canucks.

Would that have made him consider not signing in Vancouver? Tough to say. Probably would depend if he sees himself as a centre or winger in the NHL.

I'm on fence as far as deal but just looking at it exactly that way nothing against Madden but Toffoli is a solid player now it's does he pick it up going from LA who aren't good to Vancouver who are at least better he may help we will see.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
I was pro standing pat this year, not even selling. We should have been selling in previous years.

part of it is bad luck. Like with the division being wide open I can see the temptation to add. But all of a sudden the market went crazy thanks to TB paying a premium to basically complete their team.

It is hard to read what to think as fans we want certain players we like but do they fit what's the cost it's not cut and dry simple .

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
With the Canucks 3 young centre men, and Toffoli, Boeser and Virtanen in the mix, does anyone think Tyler Madden would crack this top 9 over the next 3-4 years? Never mind Podkolzin and Leivo on that right side to boot...

The team must be absolutely thrilled right now. They just turned Schaller into Toffoli! :laugh:

Stop using this justification. It's bad and lazy. Not to mention two of the guys you mentioned don't even have contracts past this year.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I have a feeling Demko and/or Gaudette will be dangled for more "help" or be used as chips to unload some garbage.

On a side note: trades like this make keeping Judd Bracket even more important.

Canucks can’t really afford to move Gaudette, it makes more sense to dump Sutter to clear up more cap space. Gaudette has done a great job stepping into the NHL and holding down the 3rd line.

Reactions: supercanuck

CS95

Oct 11, 2016
With the Canucks 3 young centre men, and Toffoli, Boeser and Virtanen in the mix, does anyone think Tyler Madden would crack this top 9 over the next 3-4 years? Never mind Podkolzin and Leivo on that right side to boot...

The team must be absolutely thrilled right now. They just turned Schaller into Toffoli! :laugh:

Thats not how it works....

Its not turning "just Schaller into Toffoli".

Its a continued habit of bad asset management. The amount of picks and prospects given away by this management group during what should have been a rebuild is absurd. This team could have had McCann, Madden, and several other players from the draft picks given away as cheap cost controlled assets. Instead they have bloated contracts such as Beagle, Sutter, Erikssen, Myers.

Toffoli is solid but this is another disappointing deal done at the wrong time for this team. Another deal that just screams of a panic trade from a GM trying to save his job.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Stop using this justification. It's bad and lazy. Not to mention two of the guys you mentioned don't even have contracts past this year.

Stop looking at the depth chart! It’s unfair!

Do you think Tyler Madden had a future as a centre in Vancouver, with the emergence of Gaudette?

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
One big pro to this deal is that it sends a message to the team that we intend to compete this year. Roster player-wise, we turned Schaller into Toffoli, that's a big upgrade right now. It also gives EP some support to make the playoffs while BB is nursing his injury. A conditional 2nd on re-signing him is no big deal, a re-signed Toffoli is worth more than a 2nd to us. It sucks to give up on Madden, he's having a great year in the NCAA, but he should doing well in that league as a 20 year old. We did well to snag him early in the 3rd round, and now that pick turns into immediate help for us.

Edit: Guaranteed 2nd, Conditional 4th. I still like it. That 2nd should be in the 50's.

Last edited:

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
At least it would be entertaining. Even more so if Benning is fired at the end of it.

Imagine watching this team play hockey and thinking that another FORWARD (who doesn't exactly stand out defensively) is priority over a d-man.

****ing hell. Poor Markstrom.
This team will be terrible defensively with Green as head coach, personnel barely matters at this point. But only the young players get penalized for "poor defense"

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Canucks can’t really afford to move Gaudette, it makes more sense to dump Sutter to clear up more cap space. Gaudette has done a great job stepping into the NHL and holding down the 3rd line.

I would agree with you but I feel like Benning will be desperate and Sutter offers 0/minimal value to any team. Also, I can see Green wanting to move Sutter back to the 3rd line C for his "defensive prowess".

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
This team could have had McCann, Madden, and several other players from the draft picks given away as cheap cost controlled assets. Instead they have bloated contracts such as Beagle, Sutter, Erikssen, Myers.

No, instead they have Tyler Toffoli and Tanner Pearson. Those players you listed have nothing to do with McCann and Madden.

Reactions: Numba9 and vcanuck

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

Welp.

I am glad our team is now complete like the Bolts.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I’m no Benning fan but he has rebuilt our prospect pool and injected a lot of very good young players to the team and pool. We’ll be fine without Madden and a 2nd, it’s not ideal to move that for a rental but if re-signed this is better. At some point you need to go for it and in our Divs we have a shot to get out and go to the WCF.

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
How does anyone think we can re-sign Toffoli? The only way that happens is if:
  1. We let Tanev and/or Markstrom walk
  2. Eriksson retires
Option 1 weakens our team more than Toffoli strengthens it and option 2 is nothing but a prayer.

Reactions: dps and wetcoast

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
The other point to consider is Boeser’s durability concerns. Toffoli is a pretty decent insurance policy on that right side with Brock having some question marks around his ability to stay healthy.

VirtAnen has been a nice story, but you need more than Jake and Eriksson on that right side behind Boeser.

The players have to be damn excited right now. The Loui Eriksson in the top 6 elephant in the room can be put to bed now.

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
Welp.

I am glad our team is now complete like the Bolts.
Just in case I can’t read sarcasm, I’ll be clear that Tampa is an example of when you make this trade. We’re far from that point, and Madden is an asset that could have been packaged in the off-season for a younger Tanev replacement. You only have so many of those assets at a given time, and fewer when you’re adding 2nd round picks.

Reactions: wetcoast

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
How does anyone think we can re-sign Toffoli? The only way that happens is if:
  1. We let Tanev and/or Markstrom walk
  2. Eriksson retires
Option 1 weakens our team more than Toffoli strengthens it and option 2 is nothing but a prayer.

If I'm picking two of the three, I'd re-sign Tanev and Toffoli.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
One big pro to this deal is that it sends a message to the team that we intend to compete this year. Roster player-wise, we turned Schaller into Toffoli, that's a big upgrade right now. It also gives EP some support to make the playoffs while BB is nursing his injury. A conditional 2nd on re-signing him is no big deal, a re-signed Toffoli is worth more than a 2nd to us. It sucks to give up on Madden, he's having a great year in the NCAA, but he should doing well in that league as a 20 year old. We did well to snag him early in the 3rd round, and now that pick turns into immediate help for us.

The 2nd-round pick is not conditional, it is a committed part of the deal along with Madden. Re-signing Toffoli would add a 4th-rounder to the cost.

Reactions: dps

CS95

Oct 11, 2016
No, instead they have Tyler Toffoli and Tanner Pearson. Those players you listed have nothing to do with McCann and Madden.

My point was this management group has a history of giving away assets at terrible times. This team is not positioned to make a deep playoff run. Theyre likely a round 1 exit, if they even make it.

How on earth do Madden and McCann have nothing to do with Pearson and Toffoli?

Madden was literally traded for Toffoli and the only reason we have Pearson is because McCann was traded for Gudbranson......

Overall long term this team would be better set up with McCann and Madden and the draft picks considering they cant afford to re-sign Toffoli.

member 290103

I guarantee if Benning had not of traded his first for Miller, the deal today would have been Madden, Schaller and a first for Toffoli.

Reactions: CS95

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I'm honestly tired of feeling like we're never going to see a playoff game again, and I'm fairly content to lose Schaller and a second, and Madden for Tofolli. Will Madden be an actual NHL roster player? Will the 2nd round pick actually become a player? Will Toffoli sign with the Canucks after the season is over? We don't have a clue about the answers to any of those questions, so it's sort of pointless to lose our minds being negative about it. You would think this fanbase might learn not to holler about the sky falling after how the Miller-for-a-1st trade went. Let's hold off until we see how it goes. I'll be the first one to slam my fist on the counter about this being a bad trade if it actually turns out that way, but we just don't know right now.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
How on earth do Madden and McCann have nothing to do with Pearson and Toffoli?

Madden was literally traded for Toffoli and the only reason we have Pearson is because McCann was traded for Gudbranson......

Madden and McCann DO have to do with Pearson and Toffoli, that was my point.

You pointed to Beagle and Myers etc, which have nothing to do with them. Go read your post again...

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Stop looking at the depth chart! It’s unfair!

Do you think Tyler Madden had a future as a centre in Vancouver, with the emergence of Gaudette?

Emergence of Gaudette? Homeboy has 27 points. What emergence? He’s decent, but you’re acting like he’s a star. You’re also acting like there’s some kind of rule where you can’t have depth at C, or where C’s cant play on the wing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad