Confirmed with Link: [VAN/FLA] Canucks acquire Juulsen, Lammikko for Olli Juolevi

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
any guys you follow now who share their data? or did they all get scooped up?

Andy lehoux I may be wrong on that spelling is always good with his QMJHL data
Mitchell Brown is great for USHL USNTDP and College so I like him a lot on seeing that data
Lassi alannin does all the Finnish prospects

ill have to think of other ones.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
OK... Not sure you actually looked at his post in full. This is in the Juolevi trade thread, and the poster quoted and was responding to this post (quoted here), which defines his point, no!?!:

"Just hearing him (Jim) admit that they took (Juolevi) based on positional need because Hamhuis and Bieksa were old is fantastic. Although it obviously was, nice to hear it from the horse's mouth."

Quoting that post with the response I responded to clearly outlines his point that DimJim should not have selected Juolevi and that his rationale was both ridiculous and hypocritical given the state of the defence at the time and what Jim sees as a rebuilt defence 7 years later.

Having said that, note that I think the selection of Juolevi was possibly THE worst decision this gm has ever made, and that is saying something. Never have I been so angry in a Canuck's selection as I was at that moment.

I simply didn't like him bending the facts in a dishonest way to suit his narrative.

But cheers. You carry on carrying on. It really isn't that difficult to see what his point was, but I love how you all love to stand together in DimJimdom.

I was going to let this go, I may have missed the smallest of details that doesn't mention Joulevi, but points to him, but then you decided to try and take a cheap shot so lets take a closer look at the post shall we?

Present top 4 blue line (before Hamonic “mysterious problem”) - rebuilding team after 7 years:
OEL….30
Myers….30
Hughes…21 (turns 22 tomorrow)
Hamonic…31

So far just talking about our currently blue line after 7 years! Look at all the youth injected! This is where I would want to see Joulevi! Oh wait... he wasn't mentioned wonder why.

Top 4 back then - old, past their prime roster:
Tanev….24
Edler….28
Hamhuis…31
Bieksa….33

7 YEARS AGO! when great leader took over the team we just heard they were too old we had to turn them all over! This team was over the hill. No if you look you will see a dcore that is just as old. huh.

**** off DimJim.

Understandable... I mean who wouldn't be saying that but shill's and people too blinded by dear leader right?

Icing in cake, they traded for that 30+ year old defenseman & top 6 winger and gave up a 1st round pick this off-season because well, I guess they don’t need the pick to draft a guy based on need.

So now we have a dcore that is just as old as our too old to compete team right when our young guys are looking to compete. Perfect.

How does this relate to the Joulevi thread? We were told we hadn't drafted a dman in the first round in so long so we had to!

Go Management Go!

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
McAvoy would’ve been a ballsy reach. Tkachuk or Chychrun were the realistic alternatives
Sergachev was rocketing up the draft standings. Easily the fastest mover.

So some posters still champion Benning drafting but neglect that those that make the NHL usually end up on other teams
Florida has two or is it three
Philly
Kraken
????
Can't think of them all
BUT
More on other teams than here.

8 drafts, a possible 56 players although with a rebuilding team that number is a failure, it should be many more picks
The most top ten picks of any Van. GM.
But then the most losses by any Van. GM.
Lowest win percentage by any two of the worst previous Van GM's

The defence is so shallow I hope this is the begining of the end of this horrible management group.

A prediction; Chris Gear is the temp GM come March.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkMM and Cancuks

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Benning is an absolute moron when it comes to using the waiver wire to his advantage. Why not pluck up a guy with upside like Jacob Larsson, Gabriel Carlsson, or even Cholowski? You can send down old Brad Hunt, he'll clear no problem. Pick up a big Swedish center like Kevin Stenlund from CBJ instead of Petan or AHL fodder like Lammikko. No, instead he keeps putting younger guys on waivers and they get snatched up immediately.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Benning is an absolute moron when it comes to using the waiver wire to his advantage. Why not pluck up a guy with upside like Jacob Larsson, Gabriel Carlsson, or even Cholowski? You can send down old Brad Hunt, he'll clear no problem. Pick up a big Swedish center like Kevin Stenlund from CBJ instead of Petan or AHL fodder like Lammikko. No, instead he keeps putting younger guys on waivers and they get snatched up immediately.

He could have even claimed Noah Juulsen!

Reactions: Cancuks

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Yup. It takes a lot for these guys to surprise me but the fact that they're going into a season with Justin Dowling and Brad Hunt taking up roster spots instead of taking a shot on a younger reclamation project is just nuts.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Yup. It takes a lot for these guys to surprise me but the fact that they're going into a season with Justin Dowling and Brad Hunt taking up roster spots instead of taking a shot on a younger reclamation project is just nuts.

I mean, given our braintrust’s efforts in reclamation projects it seems like it’d just be 6 of one, half a dozen the other…

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Petan, Dowling, Hunt, Schenn---->AHL
Stenlund (c), Brooks (C), Carlsson (RD), Strand (RD)---->claimed

How does this not at least improve our depth?

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Yes and I even suggested that when Juulsen was put on waivers.

I think it is better that he had cleared first so we can play him in the AHL to get him some minutes to get back to playing hockey. We would not have been able to send him down to get the minutes he needs to make a comeback.

Dr Black

Oct 31, 2015
meh, as i recall it wasnt an outrageous pick at the time. wasn't OJ ranked very highly, after a huge performance at the World Jrs or something? I mean it wasnt like everyone had OJ ranked as a 3rd rounder or something ... whatever, win some lose some. They made up for it with EP, QH, BB picks.... couldda done better, but i dont see the point of continuing to dump on that pick

As unbelievable as it seems today, Joulevi was indeed ranked between 5 and 11 at the time.

2016 NHL Draft Rankings

Still, a so-called "drafting guru" should have detected some red flags and picked either Tkachuk, Sergachyov, McAvoy, or Chychrun instead. After all, Jim Benning is a draft guru. A true draft guru would never pick such a catastrophic bust.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Lamikko came as advertised. Looks decent for the 4th line. Can’t complain about cost. Skates well and looked to be trying to play “big”.

91 is a weird number for a non offence player though.

Reactions: ForecheckBackcheck

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Again, it surprised me as well..like everyone else, I thought it was MT...In both cases, of Jake Virtanen, and Olli Juolevi, neither was at the top of my list, but I never thought either was a reach, or a terrible pick...Each player would have been selected right around where the Canucks did.

Not disputing those points, but I think the delta between Juolevi and Tkachuk was markedly greater than the delta between Virtanen and Nylander/Ehlers. With Nylander/Ehlers/Virtanen you could make a plausible case that one was best or that they were rough equivalents depending on what you valued but even accounting for position I don't think anyone could, would or did make a case that Juolevi and Tkachuk were equals. There was a significant gap between 5 and 6 that year.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Not disputing those points, but I think the delta between Juolevi and Tkachuk was markedly greater than the delta between Virtanen and Nylander/Ehlers. With Nylander/Ehlers/Virtanen you could make a plausible case that one was best or that they were rough equivalents depending on what you valued but even accounting for position I don't think anyone could, would or did make a case that Juolevi and Tkachuk were equals. There was a significant gap between 5 and 6 that year.

Agreed. The first 3 spots had no significant debate. 4 and 5 there was significant debate between Dubois and Tkachuk but always those two as 4 and 5. And then no clear consensus on number 6.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I'll keep repeating this until I go blue in the face :

What you say totally holds for a healthy Virtanen.

But Virtanen wasn't healthy, and had just had a major shoulder reconstruction. Given that injury - especially for a physical player - he should have been considered nowhere near that pick and probably dropped out of the top-10. The dynamics of where he should have been rated changed hugely between the end of the season (and when most draft rankings were put out) and the draft.

Reactions: MarkMM

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
I'll keep repeating this until I go blue in the face :

What you say totally holds for a healthy Virtanen.

But Virtanen wasn't healthy, and had just had a major shoulder reconstruction. Given that injury - especially for a physical player - he should have been considered nowhere near that pick and probably dropped out of the top-10. The dynamics of where he should have been rated changed hugely between the end of the season (and when most draft rankings were put out) and the draft.

That's fair, I hadn't put too much weight on the injury at the time, being optimistic that he could get over it. In the end, I actually think it was more his attitude that made him flame out. But Juolevi for me was never, even if healthy, in the same league as Tkachuk which was why I found that more appalling.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Lammikko played a lot of games for a team that was deep up front. I have no issues at all with him carving out a 4th line role for us at league min or close to it

Reactions: MarkMM

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Sounds like a good character player and someone popular in the locker room, with his size, reported defensively responsible play and RFA status, if he can solidify himself then this could turn out to be a solid win if we find a younger, bigger and cheaper Sutter replacement for this year and the immediate future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad