Confirmed with Link: [VAN/FLA] Canucks acquire Erik Gudbranson, 2016 5th for McCann, 2016 2nd, 2016 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Would you rather have:

Made this trade

or

Traded our 5th overall pick for Tyson Barrie?

I would have rather traded the 5th overall pick, 33rd overall pick, and McCann for Barrie instead of doing this trade.

Bobby Digital

Jun 15, 2006
This is absurd and I count myself among those not sure what to make of this trade. If the guy is another Willie Mitchell, who helped LA to a title after being booted by Gillis for Ballard, than this is a clear win unless McCann starts averaging 50+ points per season. Of course they could both come well short but McCann is the bigger risk since he has farther to go. Guessing management views either PLD or Katchuk as more of a sure thing than McCann, which is part of the reason they do this now.

Fascinating that the 2nd is being most often cited why this is a brutal trade. Not a fan of its inclusion but it only represents sub 25% chance the pick goes on to play 300 NHL games - that's good, poor and everything in between games.

Obviously not all people who are in favor of this trade are the usual suspects but you do see the same names popping up anytime a move is made. They're the Kool Aid drinkers. Every fan base has them.

This trade would make sense if we were contending or close to, if we had a stacked prospect cupboard and picks to burn. But we aren't and we don't. Not even close. Gudbranson is at best a #4 Dman who's closer to a #5 than #3. Considering his skillet he's pretty much reached his peak as a player, will command a long term deal next season and will have all the leverage considering we paid a "steep price" from him. For a team that should be rebuilding this trade is just dumb.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
How about just don't make this trade?

FLA apparently really wanted McCann and yet we still gave up more lol.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Brutal trade just one of the worst of all time :shakehead

How benning has this job is scary of what still could happen. He has too much power to continue this destruction

Reactions: dim jim

Chubros

Dec 9, 2011
Previous 33rd overall picks:

2015: Mitchell Stephens
2014: Ivan Barbashev
2013: Adam Erne
2012: Sebastian Collberg
2011: Rocco Grimaldi
----------------------------------------- ^^ Too early to definitively evaluate.
2010: John McFarland
2009: Ryan O'Reilly
2008: Philip McRae
2007: Taylor Ellington
2006: Igor Makarov
2005: James Neal
2004: Chris Bourque
2003: Loui Eriksson
2002: Lee Falardeau
2001: Timofei Shishkanov

3 very good players in 10 years out of this group, so let's say there's a 30% chance of snagging a good player at 33.

Not sure if that makes me feel better or worse about losing the pick.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011

Not to mention that Florida didn't want to re-up Gudbranson due to tight cap space.

GM's must love Jim

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

This happens to Benning a lot. I recall after the Sutter trade was made he mentioned that Pittsburgh really wanted Clendening so he threw him in there just to make the deal happen. :facepalm:

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
As I said in the last thread, Benning is a coward. He talks a big game about drafts but he doesn't have the courage of his convictions to actually build through the draft. He's just not a smart hockey man.

His continued insane habit of trading for players who are not meeting expectations, overpaying for them, and then claiming that he sees huge leaps in the development coming down the pipeline is just... sad. It's a deeply stupid way to manage your assets.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I also like how we gave up our early 4th for a late 5th. It's like GMs know they can squeeze Benning for a little bit extra even after getting him to agree to a terrible trade.

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
As I said in the last thread, Benning is a coward. He talks a big game about drafts but he doesn't have the courage of his convictions to actually build through the draft. He's just not a smart hockey man.

Interesting logic.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
I also like how we gave up our early 4th for a late 5th. It's like GMs know they can squeeze Benning for a little bit extra even after getting him to agree to a terrible trade.

benning will always get bent when it comes down to trading.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
For all the people criticizing Benning because he acquired a physical, stay at home defenseman instead of an offensive playmaker, we needed both. One down, one to go.

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015

His continued insane habit of trading for players who are not meeting expectations, overpaying for them, and then claiming that he sees huge leaps in the development coming down the pipeline is just... sad. It's a deeply stupid way to manage your assets.

You have a point about the draft. It's perplexing that a guy that is supposed to be such a keen evaluator of prospects is so keen to trade all his chance to add prospects away. I honestly think Benning and Linden have been told that they must make the playoffs this year or else........

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Would have been okay with a McCann for Gudbrandson swap. Why the hell did we throw in extra picks ffs

canwincup

Aug 28, 2008
Van city
For all the people criticizing Benning because he acquired a physical, stay at home defenseman instead of an offensive playmaker, we needed both. One down, one to go.

I actually really like the player but I don't want Benning making another trade, he just ends up giving away free picks.

WhiteCurse

Jan 4, 2013
Canada VI
Well im far from stoked on the trade but ive always thought Gudbranson would player better in the west. He looked real good in the playoffs this year and is a good team guy. Hopefully him and Hutton form some chem togeather

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad