Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] F Vasily Podkolzin signs extension with the Canucks (2 years, $1.0M AAV)

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Because he's developing into an effective bottom sixer and he's a cheap RFA. Every team in the league would have made the same decision.

Tell me you just stat watch without saying it explicitly.

Making blatantly false comments like this on players you don't even watch should be considered trolling. Absolute waste of space.
Sure thing Canucks Super Fan.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I watched 7 Canucks games where Podz played this season, in my view i haven't seen what some are saying
how he plays greet hockey and all, where he be given a bigger role, the goals and points will come.

Yes, in all of those games, he did show about half the time where he played really well, in the d and n zone,
checked, for checked, pressured the puck carrier, showed physical game, however,.

Then is the o zone issue, almost no ability to read the play at NHL level (this season at least),
the game is just too fast for him, second guesses too much

Sure, he did score 14 goals, 26 points in 79 games as a rookie 21-22 season.
- so at least he can score 10+ goals, 20+ points in a full season, which is fine/good for a 4th liner

- needs to work on his offence (quickness, read of the play, shot, etc. etc.)
- needs to get more explosiveness to his skating (first steps)

Yes my opinions

Reactions: VintageBure

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Podkolzin has already 340 pro games in his career. (NHL, KHL, AHL, VHL).
55 goals, 71 assists, 126 points (0.37 ppg) - in all competitions

Yes, at 23, Vas is still young, but 340 games is 340 games, that's (relatively) large number of games.
(turns 23 in 2 months)

Sure, one shouldn't focus solely on points
but one shouldn't pick 3rd/4th liner at 10th overall either...

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Podkolzin has already 340 pro games in his career. (NHL, KHL, AHL, VHL).
55 goals, 71 assists, 126 points (0.37 ppg) - in all competitions

Yes, at 23, Vas is still young, but 340 games is 340 games, that's (relatively) large number of games.
(turns 23 in 2 months)

If your problem is he isn’t living up to expectations… ok? That doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be signed if he’s found himself a role in the bottom 6.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I'm not even coming at this from a "Canuck fan" angle.

You don't watch the player. You made a silly comment about a player you know nothing about that added nothing to the conversation just to rile people up.

Check yourself, bud.
LMAO, I know, you love your Canucks. Everything and everyone is great.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Remarkable insight, shocked Sportsnet hasn't picked you up as an analyst.

Pods is what he is, an extremely toolsy player who's offense has met his draft expectations, but has found a way to contribute effectively in a lesser role.

2 x 1m is a great rate for what he currently provides, and he's shown plenty of flashes that suggest there is more. If there isn't, meh, he's still very useful.

Reactions: gianni

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
If Podkolzin had broken out by now, they wouldn't be able to afford him on the roster.
If Podkolzin had put up enough points to earn a $3-6m contract, the Canucks would be forced to move someone out.
This is a "lucky" situation for the Canucks to have with Podkolzin at this particular juncture, if they are looking to keep the core of their competitive team together.
This contract will also allow Podkolzin to help family at home. It's probably a sigh of relief for him to be making one-way coin all year.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Because 1m for an RFA 3rd line winger is a totally fine deal? Do you expect the team to just let RFA's walk for free when they're playing in the NHL?

While I don’t have a problem with the signing. All teams need depth. He’s a 12/13th forward at this point with an opportunity next season to earn a regular spot. It’s pretty disingenuous to claim he’s a 3rd liner.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
If Podkolzin had broken out by now, they wouldn't be able to afford him on the roster.
If Podkolzin had put up enough points to earn a $3-6m contract, the Canucks would be forced to move someone out.
This is a "lucky" situation for the Canucks to have with Podkolzin at this particular juncture, if they are looking to keep the core of their competitive team together.
This contract will also allow Podkolzin to help family at home. It's probably a sigh of relief for him to be making one-way coin all year.
Canucks already lucked out having Hughes sign his extension right after his worst defensive year. He really stepped up in his all round game after he signed his contract, and then we all know the offense exploded. If Pod becomes a consistent 20-20 guy, that would be considered a win, if hes your typical late blooming power forward, that upside is still there.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Getting Hoglander later in the same draft really makes the Podzolkin pick easier to take. If he becomes a third liner that plays physical and with strong D then that’s ok as he fills a need. Still has some upside imo.

Last edited:

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
A lot of stat watchers in the comments. Podz is leaner, quicker and he’s been hitting everything in sight. Big kids like him can sometimes take longer, sending him down last year seems to have been the right move. Tochett likes him too, he should get some run in the playoffs.

Reactions: gianni

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
And here we finally get to your point, and it's a stupid one. 10th overall is far from a guaranteed top of the lineup player. Simply looking at past drafts will show you that getting a disappointing pick, or even a complete bust within the top 10, is not some rare thing that is worthy of you continuously trying to point out. Maybe try actually watching him play. The fact that you thought the Canucks wouldn't even bother signing him (when they signed him for multiple years) , shows how bad your opinion on this is. Just stop already.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
A million bucks for a middle 6 AHLer. Lucky for him he was a high draft pick or he’d be in Siberia right now.
Wow, you just love commenting about our players, conversely you have no issue looking totally and completely uninformed lol, good for you I guess......

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Wow, you just love commenting about our players, conversely you have no issue looking totally and completely uninformed lol, good for you I guess......
You mad bro?

He got paid what he's worth. Don't pretend it's anything more than that. The potential has evaporated from the mistake of taking him 10th overall.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
You mad bro?

He got paid what he's worth. Don't pretend it's anything more than that. The potential has evaporated from the mistake of taking him 10th overall.

How annoying can you be? It's remarkable up to this point.

He hasn't and will never live up to his draft pedigree. You're not going to find many Canuck fans that feel otherwise. Agreed he's worth near a league minimum contract - what fans have felt otherwise?

It's just a signing where the Canucks can replace a forward for next couple years at a very low CAP hit. Podkolzin's game will keep developing he has excellent physical attributes and can likely carve out a bit of a bottom 6 NHL career.

You mad bro? You're so cringey.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
If Vasily Podkolzin dedicates himself to putting on another 10-15+ pounds of muscle, the hits he's been catching ppl with will be more damaging. Should also help him create space for himself on the offensive end. He's getting to an age where it should be easier to keep the weight on, so hopefully it happens this off-season.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
You mad bro?

Wait. You just said he was a middle 6 AHLer, now you're saying he's worth what he signed for.

You obviously have no idea which way is up or down. Embarrassing.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Wait. You just said he was a middle 6 AHLer, now you're saying he's worth what he signed for.

He’s a fan of the Jets. A bit odd to be trolling Canucks fans on the main boards considering there’s very little animosity between both sides lol.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
How annoying can you be? It's remarkable up to this point.

He hasn't and will never live up to his draft pedigree. You're not going to find many Canuck fans that feel otherwise. Agreed he's worth near a league minimum contract - what fans have felt otherwise?

It's just a signing where the Canucks can replace a forward for next couple years at a very low CAP hit. Podkolzin's game will keep developing he has excellent physical attributes and can likely carve out a bit of a bottom 6 NHL career.

You mad bro? You're so cringey.
Why are you mad at reasonable comment? Canucks fans have become the most sensitive fan base around.

Yeah, a million bucks is easily buried. Can't go wrong.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
You mad bro?

Not mad at all, didn't insinuate that he was paid anything other than what he's worth, merely calling out your BS narrative that he is a middle six AHLer. That is ridiculous along with your bogus counter-argument.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad