Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] F Andrei Kuzmenko signs extension with the Canucks (2 years, $5.5M AAV)

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Canucks fans are split on this. Some want to trade him for picks, others want to sign him because he's a damn good player.

Has chemistry with Pettersson, fantastic hands and goes to the net to score his goals.

I personally want to keep him unless we get a ridiculous offer, but I don't see one coming given his lack of sample size.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
that would be fine

but i do love the strategy of quadrupling down on a roster that clearly doesnt work

Kuzmenko has only been here for half a season and he's been great. He's part of the solution if we're "retooling".

What? He's a UFA this summer according to Capfriendly. The concept of a bridge deal makes no sense.

It's because he doesn't have the body of work to garner a massive contract. Teams would find it way too risky.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
He's turning 27 in a few weeks.

Demko just turned 27
Pettersson is 24
Hughes is 23

??
They're not contending in the next 2 years with him on this deal. After that if he impresses he may walk or demand a massive contract which has decent chances at being an overpayment and him not being an amazing asset at that point. If he disappoints he could go back to Russia and the Canucks could be wishing they traded him. I guess they can trade him next year or the year after depending on how things go but personally I think it'd just be better to sell high on him right now and get a bunch of free picks. For the rest of this season and the next 2 on that cheaper bridge deal I think he is more valuable to another team contending right now. I'm positive the trade market for him would be very robust.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
They're not contending in the next 2 years with him on this deal. After that if he impresses he may walk or demand a massive contract which has decent chances at being an overpayment and him not being an amazing asset at that point. If he disappoints he could go back to Russia and the Canucks could be wishing they traded him. I guess they can trade him next year or the year after depending on how things go but personally I think it'd just be better to sell high on him right now and get a bunch of free picks. For the rest of this season and the next 2 on that cheaper bridge deal I think he is more valuable to another team contending right now. I'm positive the trade market for him would be very robust.
Yeah but you're a fan of the Canes, a team that actually understands asset management and has a specific set of rules that they stick to ensure long term success. Canucks are just living day to day man, maybe we'll get bedard, maybe we'll finish 14th, there's no way to know and we're not about to start trying to plan for it.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC

Yes, there is risk involved considering his value may not be higher going forward given a higher cap hit and/or his play falling off.

But I guess I just believe in the player enough to have confidence that it wouldn't happen, and he'll still have good value even if they trade him at this time next year.

I'm not sure how highly GM's around the league value him right now given his lack of sample and zero playoff experience. But I guess it just takes 1 team to believe in the player and value his marginal cap hit.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Yes, there is risk involved considering his value may not be higher going forward given a higher cap hit and/or his play falling off.

But I guess I just believe in the player enough to have confidence that it wouldn't happen, and he'll still have good value even if they trade him at this time next year.

I'm not sure how highly GM's around the league value him right now given his lack of sample and zero playoff experience. But I guess it just takes 1 team to believe in the player and value his marginal cap hit.
Yeah that's completely fair, my main point is that the Canucks just aren't positioned right now to capitalize on him having the lower cap hit this year and the next 2 if he does continue to perform as he has so far. He very well could be enough of a beast long term that it doesn't matter and it's worth just keeping him and paying him big $ to contribute to future runs. Personally I'd trade him now but I can see both sides.

Reactions: bossram

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Canucks fans are split on this. Some want to trade him for picks, others want to sign him because he's a damn good player.

Has chemistry with Pettersson, fantastic hands and goes to the net to score his goals.

I personally want to keep him unless we get a ridiculous offer, but I don't see one coming given his lack of sample size.
The bridge deal route is about as dumb as it gets for Vancouver.

They should trade him. There is no logical argument against it. His trade value will be inflated vs. similar calibre players because his tiny cap hit makes him a palatable addition for any contender.

But signing him to a bridge deal is even worse than signing long-term. They won't be competitive in two years. If they want Kuz around when they might actually be good, they need a long-term deal.

As always with the Canucks, the dumbest option is what they'll go with.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
If my Devils don’t get Meier , Kuz is the perfect plan B IMO , but apparently VanC wants to keep him . Hopefully they at least listen to offers

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

That cap hit is absolutely huge. But if the Canucks don't give stupid NTCs or NMC, they can still get great value for him if they trade him.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Ninjadude

Oct 25, 2018
Signing him would be a mistake! The Nucks need prospects and picks and this is one of the best assets they have go getting those!!

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad