Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] F Aidan McDonough signs ELC with the Canucks (2 years, $925k AAV; begins 2023-24)

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
7th round picks .... getting anything out of them is a positive.

even as a younger solid AHLER that's a win. If the Canucks get 100 games of solid bottom six play out of him in his career, that's a nice win.
That's the way I see it, yep.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Scouting report from the Athletic:

Positives:
- Big big frame
- NHL level shot and release
- Very Good at finding open or quiet spots in the offensive zone to get his release and shot off.
- Captain/ Leadership

Negatives
- Skating
- Pace of play

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
I'm surprised they signed him. They must think his skating deficiencies are correctable... otherwise, I'd say he's a borderline AHL'er at best.
They will probably see where he is at. Canucks are also looking at 4 top NCAA defensemen too. Lots of people are underrating the Canucks management here but they are pretty good at scouting these players. Kuzmenko is a big free asset that's now part of the core. Joshua and Aman are very underrated players. At the pace they are adding these young players and building the team, I could easily see a short turn around unlike how people were whining about not rebuilding from scratch and trading everything for magic beans lol.

Scouting report from the Athletic:

Positives:
- Big big frame
- NHL level shot and release
- Very Good at finding open or quiet spots in the offensive zone to get his release and shot off.
- Captain/ Leadership

Negatives
- Skating
- Pace of play
He can be good on the bottom 6 for sure.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
They will probably see where he is at. Canucks are also looking at 4 top NCAA defensemen too. Lots of people are underrating the Canucks management here but they are pretty good at scouting these players. Kuzmenko is a big free asset that's now part of the core. Joshua and Aman are very underrated players. At the pace they are adding these young players and building the team, I could easily see a short turn around unlike how people were whining about not rebuilding from scratch and trading everything for magic beans lol.

He can be good on the bottom 6 for sure.

He will need at least a full season in the AHL imo. This will be massive off-season for him.

Best case scenario, he becomes a Tanner Pearson like player in the future.

Reactions: Son of Petter

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
He will need at least a full season in the AHL imo. This will be massive off-season for him.

Best case scenario, he becomes a Tanner Pearson like player in the future.
Tanner Pearson is pretty good if he becomes that for a 7th round pick on an ELC. He can take all his time in the AHL since Canucks are stacked on forward group right now and after the draft, who knows, there could be a young forward trying to crack the lineup next year.

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
I'm surprised they signed him. They must think his skating deficiencies are correctable... otherwise, I'd say he's a borderline AHL'er at best.
A lot of his rough framework seems like Boeser actually. Wicked shot, decent defensively, not so great skating. McDonough is bigger and cheaper, wonder if they potentially see him as a mini replacement (if all goes very well)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad