Confirmed with Link: [VAN/DET] Canucks acquire D Filip Hronek, 4th in ‘23 for NYI 1st (condt’l), 2023 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
Odds are Pettersson doesn't resign here if we don't make moves. Hold picks and draft is not ideal for players in their prime wanting to compete now.
They can't make shortsighted decisions based on that logic. It is the same type of thinking we heard with the Sedins and the team's extreme reluctance to rebuild.

The Canuck's pulled two superstars from the draft and decided that was enough. Most teams in the league have talent... and those that don't are selling everything not nailed down to improve the future outlook of their teams. Unfortunately for Pettersson and Hughes, they were drafted by undoubtedly one of the most disorganized franchises in the league.

By my count, that's 3 first round draft picks and 3 second round draft picks traded out the door in the last 4 drafts. Only the Canucks have shown this degree of recklessness and have absolutely nothing to show for it. At some point, they will have to face reality if they have any hope of building a winning team.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
And how long did it take for Hughes to have an impact? You can't find these types of core players without finding them in the draft. Age gap acquisitions of high calibre are rarely found and not consistently in the cap era yet the Canucks try to, time and time again.

There's an inherent reason why a rebuilding team helmed by Steve Yzerman traded this defenseman and as a fan of this sad sack organization, I just can't wait to find out.
I think you’re underestimating Hronek by labeling him as a mere age gap acquisition.

I’m not underestimating draft picks either,but there’s more to building a good team than showing up at the draft..

I still prefer our core players over the Red Wings core.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
It would suck royally to lose Pettersson/Hughes but keeping these picks at least mitigates that somewhat by setting up a foundation for the future. Instead, we're trading them away to try to buy a competitive team that will tread water just like the Oilers. I hope that's good enough for Pettersson and Co.

In reality though, the simple act of keeping these picks and using them to draft future pieces wouldn't have deterred Pettersson anyway. Again, keeping the picks you already have isn't the same as doing a scorched earth rebuild. What will please those guys is good freaking management.

I know what you say we are becoming by making this trade, you seem to be able to form an opinion on that.

But you say it’s impossible to know what will happen next two pr three seasons if we don’t make a trade like this.

I would agree with you that we can keep Hughes and Petterson and rebuild, if you could show me how it could work.

But in reality we loose them and it becomes scorched earth. Which is fine if your rebuilding. But this discussion started by you saying a rebuild wouldn’t be scorched earth.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Look, you're entitled to your opinion. I'm not saying your opinion is wrong. What's a crock is you and a few other posters looking down on the rest of the fanbase, somehow dumbfounded at a perfectly normal reaction to the stunt the Canucks just pulled. A decade long, bottom dwelling team that is at the bottom of the standings yet again this year decides to trade two top 40 picks in the best draft in a decade and somehow we're all wrong for being upset at that.

Like I said: crock of shit.
If your posting is the equivalent of screaming into a pillow after a bad day at work, before you take stock and realize that tomorrow is another day then we use the boards differently, but you have every right to do so.

My point is, the whole painting isn't finished. Remember watching Bob Ross and at first it looks like a bunch of blobs and then somehow he turns it all into a beautiful landscape painting? Right now this is one of those blobs, we don't know what it is yet.

And people who haven't extensively watched Hronek, don't really know what we just traded for (I haven't watched him enough to speak strongly).

My impression of Hronek is that he is confident, assertive, has pretty good vision, and doesn't back down, but he isn't big. But I don't know a ton more than that.

Unless you do, it may behoove you to wait before freaking out.

Or have you extensively watched 20 of the top prospects this year and you're certain that there's a top prospect you desperately want with the 18th pick? Probably not.

So people can cast an opinion, I'm actually not thrilled to lose the Islanders pick before we know where it is, either. But I'm also willing to wait and see what happens before I have an explosive reaction. And I can see the benefits in acquiring a young, upward trajectory moving RD who will be an RFA after next year.

Or you can go back to screaming into the pillow.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
They can't make shortsighted decisions based on that logic. It is the same type of thinking we heard with the Sedins and the team's extreme reluctance to rebuild.

The Canuck's pulled two superstars from the draft and decided that was enough. Most teams in the league have talent... and those that don't are selling everything not nailed down to improve the future outlook of their teams. Unfortunately for Pettersson and Hughes, they were drafted by undoubtedly one of the most disorganized franchises in the league.

By my count, that's 3 first round draft picks and 3 second round draft picks traded out the door in the last 4 drafts. Only the Canucks have shown this degree of recklessness and have absolutely nothing to show for it. At some point, they will have to face reality if they have any hope of building a winning team.
This is what actually Mike Gillis should've done during his time as GM. Difference being, he already had the core vets to start with.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
How does a team 5th from the bottom trade a 1st and 2nd pick away? Lol. That’s actually f***ing insane.

It’s pretty clear now that we “never had that 1st”. It was just passing through.

So in full, this is where we’re at:

IN:
Hronek
Raty
Beauvillier
Kravtsov
3rd 2023
4th 2023

OUT:
Horvat (50% retained)
Schenn
Lockwood
2nd 2023
7th 2026

I mean, it’s not bad so far. We got a top 4 RHD, two wingers under the age of 25 with untapped upside, NYI top prospect in a key position, and you could say the picks are close to a wash.

We got rid of Horvat who was basically gone anyways as a UFA, Schenn who isn’t a good long term fit based on his age, and a nothing prospect in Lockwood.

OVERALL I like it. I would prefer a full re-build, but at least we’re getting younger and addressing some needs. Hopefully we aren’t done yet, it sure would be nice to ditch some contracts.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Sorry, haven't read anything on here in hours, because I am disgusted.

What sort of ignorant short term thinking was this trade?

We got a 1st, a sort of salary dump and a project for Horvat. The salary dump is doing pretty well. the project seems to be a project.

We got a decent D man, but gave up our main piece of the Horvat trade, and threw in an early 2nd. There is no way to put a spin on this that is good. Back to the days of Jimbo; sell off assets like a fire sale to make a marginal team marginally better.

Disgusting.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
If your posting is the equivalent of screaming into a pillow after a bad day at work, before you take stock and realize that tomorrow is another day then we use the boards differently, but you have every right to do so.

My point is, the whole painting isn't finished. Remember watching Bob Ross and at first it looks like a bunch of blobs and then somehow he turns it all into a beautiful landscape painting? Right now this is one of those blobs, we don't know what it is yet.

And people who haven't extensively watched Hronek, don't really know what we just traded for (I haven't watched him enough to speak strongly).

My impression of Hronek is that he is confident, assertive, has pretty good vision, and doesn't back down, but he isn't big. But I don't know a ton more than that.

Unless you do, it may behoove you to wait before freaking out.

Or have you extensively watched 20 of the top prospects this year and you're certain that there's a top prospect you desperately want with the 18th pick? Probably not.

So people can cast an opinion, I'm actually not thrilled to lose the Islanders pick before we know where it is, either. But I'm also willing to wait and see what happens before I have an explosive reaction. And I can see the benefits in acquiring a young, upward trajectory moving RD who will be an RFA after next year.

Or you can go back to screaming into the pillow.
And I was willing to have the same sort of patience for the bigger picture if the Canucks kept their draft picks and drafted young, cost controlled talent with them. If anything, that takes more patience than quick fixes like Hronek.

You can't tell me I don't have the patience to see the bigger picture. Building through the draft IS the bigger picture. Well, for successful teams that is.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Messien

Mar 11, 2013
the canucks could have used their 2nd to move garland or boeser and signed severson or dumba and been about as good while still retaining the isles pick
Hronek is a better player, a younger player, and in a better position contractually for the Canucks. I'm fairly certain most people on this board will not be comfortable signing either of those players to the deals they will likely command in Free Agency.

You can just dislike the deal without making all these strange unrealistic examples and hyperbolic statements (i.e Bear is better than Hronek) to try and make it look worse.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
It’s pretty clear now that we “never had that 1st”. It was just passing through.

actually the management did say of course going back to DEC, that the Canucks were looking for a Hockey trade for Horvat and with this trade, it becomes a hockey trade.

Horvat plus 2023 Canucks rnd rounder
for
Raty, Beauvilier, Hronek, and a 4th rounder.

That's a hockey trade.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

We got a 1st, a sort of salary dump and a project for Horvat. The salary dump is doing pretty well. the project seems to be a project.

We got a decent D man, but gave up our main piece of the Horvat trade, and threw in an early 2nd. There is no way to put a spin on this that is good. Back to the days of Jimbo; sell off assets like a fire sale to make a marginal team marginally better.

Disgusting.
Pretty decent offensive D man (who'll have to fight for PP minutes with Hughes, a very special player). Team badly needed a defensive defenseman right now. I fail to see how this improves the team alot now...forget about the future.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Hronek is a better player, a younger player, and in a better position contractually for the Canucks. I'm fairly certain most people on this board will not be comfortable signing either of those players to the deals they will likely command in Free Agency.

You can just dislike the deal without making all these strange unrealistic examples and hyperbolic statements (i.e Bear is better than Hronek) to try and make it look worse.

hronek is better and younger. also cheaper. sure

but is the difference worth a mid first round pick in one of the deepest drafts in ages?

Reactions: ChilliBilly

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
And I was willing to have the same sort of patience for the bigger picture if the Canucks kept their draft picks and drafted young, cost controlled talent with them. If anything, that takes more patience than quick fixes like Hronek.

You can't tell me I don't have the patience to see the bigger picture. Building through the draft IS the bigger picture. Well, for successful teams that is.
By bigger picture, I mean who is Hronek, how does he play, how does he fit in here? What other moves do they make? ETC.

Freaking out about a single move in a hopeless season on March 1st just seems like overreacting to a car backfiring 3 streets over.

But I'm almost 40, so perhaps it comes more easily to be a bit more patient.

Reactions: JohnHodgson

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
By bigger picture, I mean who is Hronek, how does he play, how does he fit in here? What other moves do they make? ETC.

Freaking out about a single move in a hopeless season on March 1st just seems like overreacting to a car backfiring 3 streets over.

where do you get off admitting you really have no concrete evaluation of hronek telling people who do that they're overreacting and they need to wait and see?

grow up

Reactions: BrentSopelsHair

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
I am the biggest hater of Jim Benning alive but I can still recognize this was a massive W.

Where JB messed up was OEL, Myers, Dickinson, Beagle, Rousell, Eriksson, etc. etc.

Getting Miller for a late first and a third round pick is one of the FEW good moves he's ever done. It's a massive win in surplus for the Canucks.

How many playoffs has he played for us since? Not only we have to pay asset to get him, his scoring is also gets in the way of our tank, now we are neither competing, nor are we tanking. Just stay mediocre perpetually, why do you prefer that?

Reactions: dez

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009

It's all good man. I get your perspective/POV.

Many are angry and I understand. Futile to engage in discussion IMO.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
where do you get off admitting you really have no concrete evaluation of hronek telling people who do that they're overreacting and they need to wait and see?

grow up
Do you think when you watch the news it's talking to you personally?

I was speaking to the absolute tidal wave of histrionics that I am witnessing from dozens (bare minimum) of people who have never watched him play (or at least not when we aren't playing DRW and not really paying him any attention). Who are making large global evaluations on the Canucks based on...basically nothing.

I did address you specifically in saying, and I genuinely mean no offense (though I'm sure you will still take some), that i have noticed that I frequently disagree with your takes. Hence, you are absolutely entitled to your opinion, but it does little to sway mine.

Its true.
k.

And correlation is causation. You've noticed that some people who actually played the sport are wrong sometimes. So maybe having actually experienced the sport is what made them wrong?

Better go ask the person sitting in the bar with the game on and the sound off what he thinks, because one time you noticed a former player get something wrong.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013

Disgusting.
The fourth rounder we picked up looks like it will be in the first half of that round if that helps you.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
I did address you specifically in saying, and I genuinely mean no offense (though I'm sure you will still take some), that i have noticed that I frequently disagree with your takes. Hence, you are absolutely entitled to your opinion, but it does little to sway mine.

i'm not trying to convince anyone. i'm just giving my input. if people want to listen to me cool. if not also cool

what i'm not doing and you very pointedly are is telling people they are feeling wrong. that their reactions aren't valid because they don't align with yours

no one needs to be gatekeeping fandom or feelings around here

Messien

Mar 11, 2013
hronek is better and younger. also cheaper. sure

but is the difference worth a mid first round pick in one of the deepest drafts in ages?
I personally don't think this is a deal they should have made right now (maybe something to consider at the draft).

I think I would actually be more upset however if they kept the pick traded the 2nd to move Garland and proceeded to give Dumba or Severson a 7x7 in Free agency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad