Confirmed Trade: [VAN/CGY] Nikita Zadorov for 2024 5th round pick and 2026 3rd round pick

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Zadorov throwing Calgary under the bus isn’t surprising, but all the way down to the food they serve the players?? Lol

To be fair, it’s no secret the Canucks are one of those top teams over the years, on how they treat their players. Everything is first class. Dallas, Vancouver, Detroit, Nashville and the Blues, have always been that way. It’s why players love playing in those cities.

Can’t remember if they have their own plane like Detroit, but those things matter to players.

I don't know what you're referring to, but have you ever heard the food stories Z told about Mack in Colorado? I don't think he's always throwing people under the bus. He just says things that hits his mind with little filter. He'll just say, "Oh, things like this here, different in Calgary and other orgs" as a general observation to him, but one which can be easily misconstrued by others as throwing someone or an org under the bus, but I honestly don't think he typically is trying to do that.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Toronto have weaklings on D. Giordano is 50 years old. TJ Brodie and Reilly are as soft as it gets, same with Klingberg, Lilly etc. Who does Toronto have that compares to 6'6 Zadorov? A rugged, hard hitting dman that is a capable number 4?? Take a look at Canucks backend and compare to Toronto. Vancouver has 4 big dman that can sustain any physical challenges, all above 6'2 with 3 above 6'5.

Soucy-Cole
Zadorov-Myers

All big boys and they also have Juulsen who is physical and a big dman too. Only small dman on Canucks is Hughes.
Agreed. You can see why the Leafs tried to get Zadarov and are going after Tanev too. They need a major upgrade.
Canucks could still use one more number 3 type guy but the D is vastly improved from last year. Hronek, Zadarov, Soucy and Cole all added in under a year. Both goalies have benefited from the much improved D.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
That is not true at all.

"6 elite defenders"... names someone who was injured, only 5, and includes Manson and Byram... yep, you named 1 elite defender and 1 very good one.

Also, Vancouver doesn't defend particularly well, they have a good goalie, there is a difference.

Vancouver has a good top pairing and then it looks like 4 guys who are closer to #5s than #3s
Having a top pair is important. Talking about #3 and #5 is semantics. What's the huge difference between a #3 and a #5? As long as a team has a clear #1 and a #2, they can have the rest of spot filled with number 4 or 5 defenders. The important thing is having a balanced D with NHL caliber dman and not AHL defensemen or mediocre ones that aren't suppose to play in NHL. Vancouver also plays a system that clogs the middle of ice in front of the net and allows shots from perimeter. They have the best GF and one of the best GA in the league so I say their defense is doing alright playing in front of both Demko and DeSmith. Having decent goalie doesn't hurt but people here seem to only want to credit the goalie instead of the Canucks D and the backchecking by the forwards. Decent goalie won't solve bad D because the goalie will eventually crack. Just check Edmonton Oilers.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Agreed. You can see why the Leafs tried to get Zadarov and are going after Tanev too. They need a major upgrade.
Canucks could still use one more number 3 type guy but the D is vastly improved from last year. Hronek, Zadarov, Soucy and Cole all added in under a year. Both goalies have benefited from the much improved D.

Like... Tanev?

This isn't even hatred on Treliving. The Flames have typically done horribly for trades with Toronto. Even as a division rival, both Flames and Canucks have often benefitted from trades overall between the two orgs.

Pretty sure we're just asking for around a 2nd and a wee bit of extra on top.

Your team is familiar with the guy so you know you're not guessing on the fit. Without a guy like Green coaching the team, Tanev shouldn't be missing a stupid amount of games if back on the Canucks. Also, odds are probably good he'd extend with you guys for a pretty sweet contract.

And one thing I've never totally understood. While the optics might suck, outfitting a team to clobber down on your regularly in theory could mean that your team will be stronger exiting the rebuild/retool and your picks are improved during that duration. I kinda think a team should do it more often with older vets.

Reactions: Szechwan

The90

Feb 27, 2017
And a sky high PDO

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
The thing I'm most impressed with, is the way Z doesn't panic with the puck. He pauses that extra split-second, and either skates away from the pressure, or finds an outlet pass and puts it right on the tape.

I'm hoping they get him re-signed, and then let Cole and Myers walk in the offseason, clearing up 9mil. Left side of Hughes/Zadorov/Soucy. Replace Myers with a legit top 4 RHD, and use a cheap placeholder for 3rhd until Willander arrives.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Like... Tanev?

This isn't even hatred on Treliving. The Flames have typically done horribly for trades with Toronto. Even as a division rival, both Flames and Canucks have often benefitted from trades overall between the two orgs.

Pretty sure we're just asking for around a 2nd and a wee bit of extra on top.

Your team is familiar with the guy so you know you're not guessing on the fit. Without a guy like Green coaching the team, Tanev shouldn't be missing a stupid amount of games if back on the Canucks. Also, odds are probably good he'd extend with you guys for a pretty sweet contract.

And one thing I've never totally understood. While the optics might suck, outfitting a team to clobber down on your regularly in theory could mean that your team will be stronger exiting the rebuild/retool and your picks are improved during that duration. I kinda think a team should do it more often with older vets.

Believe us, everyone in Canucks land will be happy if we get Tanev back.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
The thing I'm most impressed with, is the way Z doesn't panic with the puck. He pauses that extra split-second, and either skates away from the pressure, or finds an outlet pass and puts it right on the tape.

I'm hoping they get him re-signed, and then let Cole and Myers walk in the offseason, clearing up 9mil. Left side of Hughes/Zadorov/Soucy. Replace Myers with a legit top 4 RHD, and use a cheap placeholder for 3rhd until Willander arrives.

Either your system is great in preventing it or Z has been in a good mood. Occasionally he'd take a penalty preventing a chance after flubbing a play. But as previously mentioned, Sutter did a great job in simplifying his game and he's gotten better in general at reducing dumb stuff like this.

Glad to hear he's doing well for you guys.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I don't know what you're referring to, but have you ever heard the food stories Z told about Mack in Colorado? I don't think he's always throwing people under the bus. He just says things that hits his mind with little filter. He'll just say, "Oh, things like this here, different in Calgary and other orgs" as a general observation to him, but one which can be easily misconstrued by others as throwing someone or an org under the bus, but I honestly don't think he typically is trying to do that.
No misunderstanding on this one. He threw them under the bus. From the food they serve, to the coaching, to staff, to the doctors and how they’re treated. He actually said, “literally everything”, after naming specific things, when asked the difference between the teams, and how you’re treated as a player.

There’s an obvious animosity.

Reactions: Fig

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Not sure this is the right place to post this, but there's been a fair bit of discussion about Calgary retaining on Tanev in a later trade and also several times it has been mentioned that the Canucks are said to be in on Tanev, so along that line of thinking ...

The Canucks (as the Leafs) are pretty much capped out. Once Soucy returns they won't have room to take on Tanev's contract without sending a roughly equivalent amount of cap back to the Flames.

Now if approaching the deadline the Flames decide they are essentially out of the running for a playoff spot this season, then the Canucks may be in a good position. Tanev is of course a RHD on an expiring contract. The Canucks just happen to have a highly paid RHD on an expiring contract, who actually makes more than Tanev. He isn't as highly regarded, but if Calgary is trading Tanev anyway for what they can get, they can in fact trade Tanev for Tyler Myers + whatever Conroy and Allvin decide is appropriate to balance the value on the two sides of the trade, if indeed they can come to agreement.

Calgary would get a replacement veteran RHD for the remainder of the season, but only for the balance of the season. He wouldn't hurt their long-term cap situation at all. He'd be a downgrade from Tanev, but if the Flames are trading Tanev anyway, this would permit them to do so without retention and would give them a veteran RHD that can capably play at an NHL level so long as he isn't put in a position where he feels it is necessary to do too much. If there was any retention in the deal it would probably be the Canucks to balance out the difference between the contracts of Myers and Tanev for the short time left in the 2023-24 regular season.

This may not work if the Flames are still realistically in the playoff hunt approaching the deadline nor if the Canucks are so happy with Myers at that time that they don't want to change the team chemistry by exchanging him for Tanev.

While such a deal may work for the Canucks any time, I can't see Conroy doing it unless the Flames playoff chances for this season get really low.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Toronto have weaklings on D. Giordano is 50 years old. TJ Brodie and Reilly are as soft as it gets, same with Klingberg, Lilly etc. Who does Toronto have that compares to 6'6 Zadorov? A rugged, hard hitting dman that is a capable number 4?? Take a look at Canucks backend and compare to Toronto. Vancouver has 4 big dman that can sustain any physical challenges, all above 6'2 with 3 above 6'5.

Soucy-Cole
Zadorov-Myers

All big boys and they also have Juulsen who is physical and a big dman too. Only small dman on Canucks is Hughes.

We really miss Muzzin

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Toronto has like 4 bottom pairing D... why get another?

Him and Gio would be fighting for a spot... and how much better is Zadorov?
Gio is a good no.6 guy, lower end no.5 guy while Zadorov is a lower end no.4 guy. he's about that much better

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
And a sky high PDO
canucks-pdo.jpg

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Not sure this is the right place to post this, but there's been a fair bit of discussion about Calgary retaining on Tanev in a later trade and also several times it has been mentioned that the Canucks are said to be in on Tanev, so along that line of thinking ...

The Canucks (as the Leafs) are pretty much capped out. Once Soucy returns they won't have room to take on Tanev's contract without sending a roughly equivalent amount of cap back to the Flames.

Now if approaching the deadline the Flames decide they are essentially out of the running for a playoff spot this season, then the Canucks may be in a good position. Tanev is of course a RHD on an expiring contract. The Canucks just happen to have a highly paid RHD on an expiring contract, who actually makes more than Tanev. He isn't as highly regarded, but if Calgary is trading Tanev anyway for what they can get, they can in fact trade Tanev for Tyler Myers + whatever Conroy and Allvin decide is appropriate to balance the value on the two sides of the trade, if indeed they can come to agreement.

Calgary would get a replacement veteran RHD for the remainder of the season, but only for the balance of the season. He wouldn't hurt their long-term cap situation at all. He'd be a downgrade from Tanev, but if the Flames are trading Tanev anyway, this would permit them to do so without retention and would give them a veteran RHD that can capably play at an NHL level so long as he isn't put in a position where he feels it is necessary to do too much. If there was any retention in the deal it would probably be the Canucks to balance out the difference between the contracts of Myers and Tanev for the short time left in the 2023-24 regular season.

This may not work if the Flames are still realistically in the playoff hunt approaching the deadline nor if the Canucks are so happy with Myers at that time that they don't want to change the team chemistry by exchanging him for Tanev.

While such a deal may work for the Canucks any time, I can't see Conroy doing it unless the Flames playoff chances for this season get really low.

If things continue on current course, this is definitely a place where i could see a Myers swap working. For Tanev. The big catch is, Myers is making practically no actual "cash money" this year. So it's a super cheap swap that actually saves money. The Flames would also be in a position to flip Myers for another pick somewhere with retention.

I'm not really sure the Canucks are actually in a big hurry to dump Myers though. Especially since he's looked pretty alright with Zadorov. He's in house insurance who can play significant minutes (sometimes) as a big RHD. The same reason he'd be flippable for Calgary...is why the Canucks may just want to keep him.

Which does make a Tanev acquisition more complicated. As much as i'd welcome it. He's also not really in the "mold" that this regime seems to prefer in their defencemen. There's a reason they went after Zadorov in the first place, rather than Tanev.

Reactions: gianni

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
The problem with the Flames being asked to take Myers in any trade for Tanev… is the price goes up, compared to other suitors. The good thing for the Canucks… is almost everyone who’s going to be “in on” Tanev, is going to need some sort of help, making the deal work.

Just smells of Colorado on this. These teams are going to have to match Vegas in a 7 game series. That d-core is so good when they tighten things up. Colorado may need two dmen.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
If things continue on current course, this is definitely a place where i could see a Myers swap working. For Tanev. The big catch is, Myers is making practically no actual "cash money" this year. So it's a super cheap swap that actually saves money. The Flames would also be in a position to flip Myers for another pick somewhere with retention.

I'm not really sure the Canucks are actually in a big hurry to dump Myers though. Especially since he's looked pretty alright with Zadorov. He's in house insurance who can play significant minutes (sometimes) as a big RHD. The same reason he'd be flippable for Calgary...is why the Canucks may just want to keep him.

Which does make a Tanev acquisition more complicated. As much as i'd welcome it. He's also not really in the "mold" that this regime seems to prefer in their defencemen. There's a reason they went after Zadorov in the first place, rather than Tanev.

I agree trading Myers now would be weird, he’s played really well and clearly loves Vancouver.
But more to the point why would Calgary do this swap, just to save a few actual dollars?
It would cost them in cap and they’re both UFA, so what’s the point?
Kuzmenko for Tanev might make more sense if they were going that route.
But I also think Juulson has played very well, they might be thinking RD depth more than a guy like Tanev … and prioritizing a by top scoring W like Kuz is supposed to be

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta

If the Flames trade Tanev it will be for picks, not a returning player. DeSimone has come up and played very well at RD. So, we would have Andersson, Weegar, DeSimone on RD.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010

Honestly, they should be. The number of bad games outnumber the good. He has too many brainfarts in the defensive zone (losing checks, holding onto the puck too long, failing to make simple passes or passing it directly to the other team).

There's possibly a team out there who will think pending UFA who makes no salary and is a RHD that might give the Canucks something positive to take him. But I don't think that is too likely.

Bond

May 10, 2012

Maybe Myers + a 1st for Tanev.

If things continue on current course, this is definitely a place where i could see a Myers swap working. For Tanev.
Outside of Canucks fantasy land reasons why would the Flames swap out Tanev for a worse dman and no futures.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad