Confirmed Trade: [VAN/BOS] F Jack Studnicka for G Michael DiPietro and D Jonathan Myrenberg

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Win/win.

Studnicka needs a change of scenery. Don't think his upside is higher than a 3C, but he ain't that now and the Bruins don't have room for guys developing up the middle. If he was a year younger and still didn't need to go thru waiver would be a different story, but here we are.

Bruins get a magic bean at RD, a position where they have f*** all after McAvoy and Carlo.

None of the players involved have significant upside so don't worry about anyone getting a surprise big L from the trade.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
I liked Myrenberg— thought he showed promise at the camp and certainly became the best RD prospect. Sucks Canucks didn’t trade for another defenseman, they don’t need forwards. What the heck happens when everyone is healthy?

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
I think Stud won a "fastest skater" skills contest a couple of years ago before the AHL All-Star game.
IMO Cassidy ruined his confidence when Capt Jack had a great 2021 preseason but still didn't make the squad because Sweeney went and got free agents Haula, Lazar, and Nosek. If Studs gets his confidence back I think he can be something for the Canucks, I hope so anyway.

I'm wondering if you are thinking of Zach Senyshyn winning fastest skater, Studnicka doesn't seem all that fast to me.

Why do you think Cassidy would have ruinded his confidence? He was given chances to do something, anything, to prove he belonged. I really believe that the Bruins really wanted him to work out but he just didn't show enough at the NHL level and they ran out of time with him. He probably wouldn't clear waivers and he waasn't making the team, it looks like it was take the best offer or lose him for nothing.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Seems good for both teams. I liked Stud and really wanted him to succeed but he didn’t do anything at the NHL level to “force” him into the lineup. He will get an opportunity and likely some patience with Vancouver - leash was too short here.

Gives all the players a clean slate. Best of luck to Captain Jack.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
I think the Studnicka s trade s hiding something bigger Bruins need to shed some $$ the return of the Satllion is imminent
This is more logical. Need money for Pasta, also. We might see a couple more of these salary shedding trades of some minor players with Mac coming back soonish. Even with the Krecji injury, the B’s have a glut of players in the middle.

Reactions: BruinsJoe

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I get this deal from a Canucks POV.

We currently have Poolman, Boeser, Lazar, Hughes, Stillman, Dermott, Miller out with injuries. We don't have the AHL depth to call many players up. We were able to get a bottom of the lineup C, who hopefully can be serviceable, without giving up much. This team can't afford to give up picks, or near NHL ready prospects.

DiPietro is probably at best a fringe NHL backup. Myrenberg has been tracking pretty well, but is still probably a long shot to be an NHL regular. I do like this for the Bruins though, as they can afford to give up a NHL/AHL level player now in hopes that the lottery ticket pans out later.

Minor deal that should have pretty minimal impact for both teams.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
LMAO!

Canucks voted like top 5 worst prospect pool.

They then trade a prospect from that said pool that isnt even in their top 5 and all of sudden they gave away a valuable Right Dman! It sounds like people are complaining just to complain

Their top 5 btw- Lekkerimaki, Klimovich, Pettersson, Silovs, Mcdonough

The fact that Myrenberg is a Right Shot D is nothing of extra value to the Canucks. As Allvin said, Myrenberg is 5 years away if he even makes it. 5 years from now who knows what the CAnucks positional need is going to be.... They will probably address their Defence via trade or drafting Dmen with higher 1st, 2nd round picks.

My scouting for B's fans.

Dipietro- Done like dinner. Being sub 6 feet, it was always a long road ahead for him to be an NHL regular. I still think he could be a decent AHLer but even that i have some serious doubts with. Goalie Guru Ian Clarke was not a big big fan of him at all and the Canucks have subsequently drafted 4 goalies since drafting Dipietro in 2017.

Myrenberg is an unknown. Recently fired Rachel Doeirie who was working for the Canucks analytics team just tweeted that she really likes Myrenberg and he has a chance to be a #5-6 in the NHL one day. I'd probably refer to her as she obviously had inside knowledge with the organization.

Pretty even trade imo, a Right shot Centre with a chance to be a top 9 F for a a Right shot D with a chance to be 3rd pairing D.

I also dont mind the extra contract space it frees up for the Canucks to sign a College Free Agent in the Spring.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I'm wondering if you are thinking of Zach Senyshyn winning fastest skater, Studnicka doesn't seem all that fast to me.

Why do you think Cassidy would have ruinded his confidence? He was given chances to do something, anything, to prove he belonged. I really believe that the Bruins really wanted him to work out but he just didn't show enough at the NHL level and they ran out of time with him. He probably wouldn't clear waivers and he waasn't making the team, it looks like it was take the best offer or lose him for nothing.

He did win it, but in game speed is obviously different than skating around in a big circle. I don't think Studnicka has a remarkable first few steps at all, which matters a lot more IRL.

Reactions: WJCJ and biturbo19

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He did win it, but in game speed is obviously different than skating around in a big circle. I don't think Studnicka has a remarkable first few steps at all, which matters a lot more IRL.

This is kinda what i figured when that poster mentioned that he'd won a "fastest skater" competition.

Honestly, those "Team Skills Comp" things are an absolutely worthless barometer of anything. Especially an event like "fastest skater" where absolutely nobody is going 100%. Most are just out for a cruise, so even going like...75% could win you the comp, over actually much faster skaters. Weird people win those all the time. :laugh:

I wouldn't describe Studnicka's skating as "slow" or "deficient", but it's really nothing special either. Very...average. Which is fine.

Reactions: wintersej

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
This is kinda what i figured when that poster mentioned that he'd won a "fastest skater" competition.

Honestly, those "Team Skills Comp" things are an absolutely worthless barometer of anything. Especially an event like "fastest skater" where absolutely nobody is going 100%. Most are just out for a cruise, so even going like...75% could win you the comp, over actually much faster skaters. Weird people win those all the time. :laugh:

I wouldn't describe Studnicka's skating as "slow" or "deficient", but it's really nothing special either. Very...average. Which is fine.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did Dale Weise not win Canucks fastest skater one year in one of those skills things?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Was Studnicka the pick Boston got when the League screwed the Oilers for a 2nd round pick cause we signed a fired Chiarelli? A “rule” that only existed for a year or so to screw over the Oilers it seems as it no longer exists, immediately changed after the Oilers got screwed.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Correct me if I'm wrong, but did Dale Weise not win Canucks fastest skater one year in one of those skills things?

Yeah. I don't really pay much attention to those things obviously, but that absolutely sounds just about right. :laugh:

SpitfireHabs1

Dec 3, 2021
Southern Ontario
Hoping Mikey proves the haters wrong. Was a great junior goalie for his hometown team in Windsor and a great kid with his head on straight. I do still believe he can turn his pro career around, goalies usually take longer to develop and I'm hoping that's the case here!, a change of scenery should help both Studnicka and Dipietro. Crazy both players traded are from Windsor-Essex County in Ontario. As with any trade, time will tell who wins.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
B’s fans were hating on Studs after 8mins of play and taking two penalties in his only game.
Dude had a great camp, couldn’t crack the lineup, got one chance this year. I think he’ll be a solid player.

Not too high on dipietro myself & think the B’s have some pretty solid goaltending prospects. Don’t know anything about the Dman.

But if he wasn’t going to play or be put on waivers I’ll mark the trade as pretty alright

Glad he’s getting a chance finally

Reactions: pearljamvs5

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
B’s fans were hating on Studs after 8mins of play and taking two penalties in his only game.
Dude had a great camp, couldn’t crack the lineup, got one chance this year. I think he’ll be a solid player.

Not too high on dipietro myself & think the B’s have some pretty solid goaltending prospects. Don’t know anything about the Dman.

But if he wasn’t going to play or be put on waivers I’ll mark the trade as pretty alright

Glad he’s getting a chance finally
I think Monty hated him even more than the fans.

Monty's disapproval was the kiss of death.

Time will tell if it's founded.

I think Studnicka if given a fair shot can be an NHL player. Up to him on how impactful though. With limited chances in Boston, his NHL play was pretty underwhelming. That said, his leash was shorter than notably some higher paid vets that struggled. So good buy low, low risk move for Vancouver.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad