Confirmed with Link: [VAN/BOS] Canucks acquire F Jack Studnicka for G Mikey DiPietro, D Jonathan Myrenberg

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
LMAO!

Canucks voted like top 5 worst prospect pool.

They then trade a prospect from that said pool that isnt even in their top 5 and all of sudden they gave away a valuable Right Dman! It sounds like people are complaining just to complain

Their top 5 btw- Lekkerimaki, Klimovich, Pettersson, Silovs, Mcdonough

The fact that Myrenberg is a Right Shot D is nothing of extra value to the Canucks. As Allvin said, Myrenberg is 5 years away if he even makes it. 5 years from now who knows what the CAnucks positional need is going to be.... They will probably address their Defence via trade or drafting Dmen with higher 1st, 2nd round picks.

My scouting on players we traded:

Dipietro- Done like dinner. Being sub 6 feet, it was always a long road ahead for him to be an NHL regular. I still think he could be a decent AHLer but even that i have some serious doubts with. Goalie Guru Ian Clarke was not a big big fan of him at all and the Canucks have subsequently drafted 4 goalies since drafting Dipietro in 2017.

Myrenberg is an unknown. Recently fired Rachel Doeirie who was working for the Canucks analytics team just tweeted that she really likes Myrenberg and he has a chance to be a #5-6 in the NHL one day. I'd probably refer to her as she obviously had inside knowledge with the organization.

Pretty even trade imo, a Right shot Centre with a chance to be a top 9 F for a a Right shot D with a chance to be 3rd pairing D.

I also dont mind the extra contract space it frees up for the Canucks to sign a College Free Agent in the Spring.
Yes.

Lets trade more futures for right-now pieces!

Playoffs and #AnythingCanHappen

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I do not remember Clendening being acquired because of Canuck injuries. I thought it was because Benning wanted a young defenceman with NHL potential ... former 2 round pick, led Boston College defencemen in scoring during his 2 years there, led Rockford defencemen in scoring in his first year and led all Rockford scorers in his second year. I was excited about him after the trade to Vancouver, for a 5 round pick, Forsling. Then I saw Clendening skate.

It is a compliment to Forsling that you considered him a B prospect. He played 38 games with Chicago in his first year, but that was because his contract stipulated it. After that, he was sent to the minors. He played 84 NHL games in the next 3 years before being place on waivers, by his third NHL team.

I like the trades made by the current management, and accept that some trades required draft picks or prospects to be exchanged. Like it or not, Rutherford will be changing this team by trade. His teams have not drafted well.

I recall the Canucks needing defense depth which led to the Clendening trade. That was the rare year they were in the playoff mix. Thought there was some injuries that led to it, but if I'm wrong then so be it.

Forsling was definitely a B prospect at the time of trade. Was probably worth the equivalent of a 3rd, some would argue higher. Hard to argue that given he got a guy in return who was still well thought of in Clendening.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I recall the Canucks needing defense depth which led to the Clendening trade. That was the rare year they were in the playoff mix. Thought there was some injuries that led to it, but if I'm wrong then so be it.

Forsling was definitely a B prospect at the time of trade. Was probably worth the equivalent of a 3rd, some would argue higher. Hard to argue that given he got a guy in return who was still well thought of in Clendening.

I actually thought Clendening was fine in his 17 games. To be fair, had we kept Forsling, we probably wouldn't have gotten much out of him anyways. He probably would have been included in a different deal.

Reactions: m9

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Jeez. Honestly feel for the guy.

I’m not a fan of him as a player but he’s good enough he should be getting games somewhere in the AHL.

No kidding. Just one rough situation after another that’s completely screwed with his development.

Maybe he would have been a player, maybe he wouldn’t be (and maybe he still will or won’t be) - but he hasn’t really gotten a consistent chance to develop and show what he’s got.

Reactions: biturbo19

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
HOw has Myrenberg raised his stock since being drafted.. who has been watching him?
According to the Bruins site, P.J. Axelsson is the B's Swedish scout and the B's version of Tomas Gradin. He's been following Myrenberg closely and recommended to GM Don Sweeney that the Bruins jump on him if he ever became available.

A big (6'3", 210) right-shot blueliner is always a valuable 'add' to your prospect pool. My prediction is that Myrenberg gets signed by the 'B's, and ends up on Providence, maybe as early as next season.

Reactions: Red

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

I’m not a fan of him as a player but he’s good enough he should be getting games somewhere in the AHL.

Very strange. The Bruins can loan him to any AHL team they want, why keep him here? Just send him to one that needs a goalie

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Very strange. The Bruins can loan him to any AHL team they want, why keep him here? Just send him to one that needs a goalie
Or to someone in th ECHL. Someone must need a goaltender to play every night. Poor kid.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
According to the Bruins site, P.J. Axelsson is the B's Swedish scout and the B's version of Tomas Gradin. He's been following Myrenberg closely and recommended to GM Don Sweeney that the Bruins jump on him if he ever became available.

A big (6'3", 210) right-shot blueliner is always a valuable 'add' to your prospect pool. My prediction is that Myrenberg gets signed by the 'B's, and ends up on Providence, maybe as early as next season.
good info thank you..

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Probably suggests that this is a temporary solution until they figure it out.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
So does Studnicka play next game? Probably between Pearson and Hoglander seems the obvious fit?

The bet Allvin made is Stud can be a top 9 C for us, letting JTM stay on the wing. Bruins fans after the deal said Studnicka needs an opportunity, and this looks like a pretty decent one.

Be pretty big for this team if he can be part of a solid third line.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The hand-wringing over Forsling here is hilarious. Are we really going to act like he was going to turn into a stud here? He got traded...then spent half a dozen years fumbling around Europe, bouncing between the NHL/AHL (including landing on waivers), before finally establishing himself as a real NHL defenceman of some merit.

I mean, the Clendening trade was stupid, because the guy couldn't skate. But i'm not going to create some pretend angst fantasy where Forsling was going to end up where he is today, if he'd just stayed with the Canucks organization the entire time. Teams lose players like this all the time. It's not a phenomena unique to Vancouver. It's a results driven business, and players with a long trajectory tend to try out multiple different avenues before they finally "make it".

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Through Juniors, he always carried a sort of huge hype that seemed kind of excessive...but yeah, the pro transition has not been kind to him at all. He's been screwed at pretty much every turn.

Seems particularly detrimental for a goalie like Dipietro, who has always been a little bit of a "confidence" guy. As a lot of smaller goaltenders are. When they're on and feeling it, they can be really good. But when their confidence and fine tuning is off, that extra size they're missing to have pucks just hit them, is magnified substantially. And Dipietro has had about the worst possible route for building confidence over the past few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad