Proposal: [VAN/ARI] Intra-Division Captain Trade (Cap Neutral)

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Hey. All you Vancouver fans. Why don't you guys post on your trade thread on your sub-forum? I posted this proposal there, too. I usually prefer to have these conversations on team sub forums. But it seems really dead over there. Is the another site that's more popular for Canucks fans? The Canucks sub has the 2nd most posts in the Pacific division on HF. It seems slower than average right now though. What gives?

NOTE: I understand that there is a pandemic. It doesn't seem to have changed the amount of posts on the AZ sub-forum though. Nor out here on the main forum.

rt

May 13, 2004
From a lot of you're posts from other threads it seems OEL has lost some of his game. For me replacing Bo to add OEL amounts to how much of an upgrade is he over Edler with whom he would replace. Based on the last 2 seasons the answer is no. Stepan is a massive downgrade in every conceivable way. Throw in the fact LE will either be a compliance buyout or retirement. Rumours of him retiring after his final bonus in July rather then play in Utica have been around for awhile. Personally I think he retires and is offered a job here or in Sweden with nucks to compensate for the 6 mill in lost salary, similar to what the Panthers did with Lou.
It's hard to say what's happening with OEL. He used to be a river-boat-gambler. A high-octane player. He used to be all over the ice, especially in the offensive-zone. All compass mobility, lateral blueline sprinting like whoa, and a disgusting shot. Laser guided. He used to stir shit up a bunch, and was sneaky dirty. Passion player. Made sense he became captain. I supported it.

Not sure if it was Tippett leaving, Tocchet coming in, the C getting sewn on his chest, or the big fat contract extension; something changed, though. He became waaaaaaay more conservative in his play. I'd say apart from the big blunder now and again that most guys with his minute-load have, he's pretty solid defensively. He's still mobile, and can still move the puck well. But he's slammed the breaks on the fun stuff.

I don't know if it's his coach or what. I really do think it is, though. Rick Tocchet is a terrible head coach. Very bad. His entire system is based on rushing the play and making panic moves. Move the puck quick. Quick, quick, quick. It's stupid and ineffective. As a result the team loses a ton of games. They are one of the worst teams in the NHL since Tocchet took over. Every game sucks. I can see that weighing on OEL. How can you have fire in an indifferent market with incompetent coaching? Made even worse by the fact that the wonder-boy GM doesn't have the balls to fire these terrible coaches.

The outlook is bleak in Arizona. The Coyotes are positioned to be really bad for a long time. OEL came up under Tippett and played most of his career for at least competitive Coyotes teams. I can see why he plays a game now that is more...muted. I think the freakish hockey skills are still there. He is still capable of his former dominant play. We're just seeing some bastardized version of the player now. Which really isn't a bad player, honestly. He's still good. He's just not nearly as special. Which hurts the heart.

Down with Tocchet. Down with Chayka. Free Oliver!!!!

archangel2

May 19, 2019
This is a bad trade for Arizona and I am a Vancouver fan. OEL straight for Horvat is something that makes sense. OEL can play 25+ a night in all situation. Eriksson was a healthy scratch at times last year for Vancouver and Stepan is a solid two way forward that does not take shifts off. I am a canuck fan and can not understand how the Canucks move Eriksson and actually get not one but two solid pieces. While the contracts may balance the play does not

rt

May 13, 2004
This is a bad trade for Arizona and I am a Vancouver fan. OEL straight for Horvat is something that makes sense. OEL can play 25+ a night in all situation. Eriksson was a healthy scratch at times last year for Vancouver and Stepan is a solid two way forward that does not take shifts off. I am a canuck fan and can not understand how the Canucks move Eriksson and actually get not one but two solid pieces. While the contracts may balance the play does not
I'd just about ready to kill for a center. That's all. ;)

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Overpayment from AZ, but that is definitely what it would take to get Horvat in a Yotes jersey and allowing Vancouver to really contend for the 1st seed in 2021.

Not a bad proposal. Canucks have JT Miller to fill in as the 2C, Stepan as 3C that can be used as a primary PKer in replacement of Horvat, and the Yotes can hand the reins to Chychrun as the top pairing LD.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
This favors the canucks, any canucks fan who can't realize that isn't worth debating with.

Of course it does. OEL is an awesome talent, and Stepan beats the pants of Eriksson.

Team needs and position factors into it though.

Outright value? We take this before anyone can blink. But given our team make up, we'd rather keep Horvat...and begrudgingly, Eriksson as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad