Proposal: [VAN/ARI] Intra-Division Captain Trade (Cap Neutral)

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
Haha is this real? What team will Agree to take on Eriksson? Oel , I am sure is still a good player probably stepan also.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
You're really trying to pawn off OEL for a center while he still has value, eh?
Jermey Roenick left in 2001. Coyotes haven’t had a number one center in 19 years. It’s a problem.

They have packed the roster full of winger upgrades in Hall, Kessel, Keller and Schmaltz. It doesn’t matter. Need centers. It’s not working without them. It can’t.

OEL and Tocchet aren’t mixing well. OEL’s production has declined and he and the coach have had some friction points over the years. Both admit it started poorly and has been difficult.

I’d rather fire the coach than trade the captain. I’d rather fire all the coaches. But I’m also not opposed to mixing up the leadership group.

The Coyotes were in first place when they traded for Hall. Then they entered a complete free-fall. Is that OEL’s fault? No. There’s a ton of blame to go around. The Coyotes fired Tippett years ago. They can’t make any progress. They’re spinning their wheels. They need major shake ups. MAJOR shakeups (plural).

Or do you think it would be smart for the Coyotes to just stay the course?

Last edited:
Reactions: Grantham

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
OEL is the best player in the deal and having Arizina take one if the worst contracts in the NHL in return?

Remove Stepan and Erickson and add ascend from the Canucks and Arizona might consider it.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
OEL is the best player in the deal and having Arizina take one if the worst contracts in the NHL in return?

Remove Stepan and Erickson and add ascend from the Canucks and Arizona might consider it.

OEL was the peak performer in the OP, he's not the current best player though. That is Horvat and it will be moving forward, most likely. I suppose if someone hasn't been paying attention to the slip in OEL game it seems lop sided especially with a cap dump of Eriksson included, but that cap hit with term remaining on OEL for his current play isn't pretty.

The OP was the one I believe that targeted us for RNH for OEL and our fanbase declined even with a lack of term remaining on RNH's deal. Now he's targeted the Canucks and Horvat. Calgary, Monahan...your up

rt

May 13, 2004
OEL was the peak performer in the OP, he's not the current best player though. That is Horvat and it will be moving forward, most likely. I suppose if someone hasn't been paying attention to the slip in OEL game it seems lop sided especially with a cap dump of Eriksson included, but that cap hit with term remaining on OEL for his current play isn't pretty.

The OP was the one I believe that targeted us for RNH for OEL and our fanbase declined even with a lack of term remaining on RNH's deal. Now he's targeted the Canucks and Horvat. Calgary, Monahan...your up
I literally have a thread open called OEL for a Center. This isn’t a secret. The Coyotes need a top line center. We aren’t going to get on on an ELC. We’re only looking at expensive ones, realistically. And we’re not going to be able to acquire a true, blue bonafide #1C are we? MacKinnon and Matthews and Crosby are PROBABLY out, wouldn’t you say? That leaves tweeners like RyJo, RNH, Horvat, Schenn, etc So what’s the asset that makes sense? Is it Victor Soderstrom and his ELC? Nope. There’s an obvious logic to this that I’m surprised I need to keep explaining. It’s just a lack of critical thinking, when people say “he’s looking to DUMP him”. Use your head.

rt

May 13, 2004
So far half of the responses have been that OEL is actually literal trash and the other half of responses are that Arizona would be crazy to do this and OEL is worth more than Horvat on his own, without AZ having to retain on Stepan and eat Eriksson’s full cap.

Can you guys argue with eachother? LOL.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
As @rt pointed out, OEL is not really the problem in Arizona. I think many of us would like to see the coaching staff flipped out but we also have a gaping hole down the middle we want addressed sooner than later. It really doesn't matter if it comes from Calgary, Edmonton, St' Louis, etc. OEL is our best trade chip for that piece and is in his prime. As much as we love our center prospect, there are still major question marks there (including Hayton) so we are looking outside the organization. Feel free to make suggestions and tweeks if OEL is not your cup of tea. Keep in mind a few things in your suggestions, Soderstrom and Hayton are likely off the table and we are a cap team so the trade needs to be even dollars at minimum.

rt

May 13, 2004
Haha is this real? What team will Agree to take on Eriksson? Oel , I am sure is still a good player probably stepan also.
So ARI is getting robbed?
In what world does Erickson have this much value?

OEL is still one if the better D in the league
You're really trying to pawn off OEL for a center while he still has value, eh?
So VAN is getting robbed?

oel isnt that good guys

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
I wouldn't trade Canucks young, talented, cost controlled, leader of our team Horvat for OEL straight up. And I wouldn't do the deal in the OP either. So those Arizona fans saying no, I agree with you. No deal.

Now Eriksson for Stepan I would consider lol

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Vancouver says no purely based on the age of the players.
Ekman-Larsson will be 29 and Stepan will be 30 by the time the NHL resumes. Horvat just turned 25 a few days ago. With a core consisting of Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser, Toffoli, Podkolzin, Demko, etc., Horvat suits the team's needs and window to compete much better than OEL/Stepan.

Reactions: flying v 604

rt

May 13, 2004
I wouldn't trade Canucks young, talented, cost controlled, leader of our team Horvat for OEL straight up. And I wouldn't do the deal in the OP either. So those Arizona fans saying no, I agree with you. No deal.

Now Eriksson for Stepan I would consider lol
No Arizona fan has said no. Stepan is actually still a player. No chance on Eriksson. The point of retaining on Stepan is to add a bunch of value. The point of eating Eriksson is to add a bunch of value.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
In what world does Erickson have this much value?

OEL is still one if the better D in the league
It's Bo for OEL. The remaining are strictly to keep the cap the same.
If this was before last season, as a Nuck fan is be tempted. But with Quinn, Rathbome Joulevi Tram, our left side looks set. We need an RHD similar age as the core. Ironically LE would thrive in the yotes defense style.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Canucks pass.

Horvat is an ideal number 2 Center (who can be a #1B moving forward), and is cost controlled and young. Also makes it unlikely for him to move since he's been named captain.

Pass for a 28 year old. The deal would be slightly enticing had he been a RHD.

rt

May 13, 2004
Would OEL waive his NMC for Vancouver?
:dunno:

Vancouver is a nicer city than Phoenix. The Canucks have several Swedish players. The team is much better. The tax situation is much worse. I don't think OEL is happy playing under Tocchet, so might be open to a fresh start. He may also just be chilling in Phoenix, waiting for Tocchet to get fired, and then be unleashed once again. He's got a long enough deal, and a full NMC. So he knows he can just ride out the three months of next season it will take before the coach is removed.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014

From a lot of you're posts from other threads it seems OEL has lost some of his game. For me replacing Bo to add OEL amounts to how much of an upgrade is he over Edler with whom he would replace. Based on the last 2 seasons the answer is no. Stepan is a massive downgrade in every conceivable way. Throw in the fact LE will either be a compliance buyout or retirement. Rumours of him retiring after his final bonus in July rather then play in Utica have been around for awhile. Personally I think he retires and is offered a job here or in Sweden with nucks to compensate for the 6 mill in lost salary, similar to what the Panthers did with Lou.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad