Value of: value of Jake Muzzin at TDL

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
1st round pick, mediocre prospect. A top4 defenseman who can play the body and chip in on offense, making 4m on his deal will be one of the best rental defenders on the market. Cup rings and a great locker room guy.

I'm hoping we re-sign him.

He's clearly nursing an injury. He was phenomenal to start the year and in the playoffs.
Idk if hell return a 1st straight up.. maybe conditional based on him resinging or how far the team makes it in the playoffs

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Idk if hell return a 1st straight up.. maybe conditional based on him resinging or how far the team makes it in the playoffs

Last year we saw Hayes traded for a 1st and a roster player. Marcus Johahsson for a 2nd and 4th, Nyquist for a 2nd and 3rd, and Zuccarello for two conditional firsts (ended as 2nd and 3rd, neither condition was met).

For the reasons I listed, I have Muzzin as more valuable than Johansson or Nyquist and somewhere in the Hayes realm. A very strong 2nd pairing defender (he's in that 2/3D range) who's offensively capable, defensively sound, physical, and a two time cup champion is very comparable in value to a 55 point 2C as a baseline. Muzzin is on pace for 37 points with close to zero PP time and is only making 4m, meaning the acquiring team is only on the hook for $1m in actual dollars. Not to mention he would probably be the best rental defender on the market (or 2nd after Barrie), he's absolutely the kind of player who would get a 1st.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Last year we saw Hayes traded for a 1st and a roster player. Marcus Johahsson for a 2nd and 4th, Nyquist for a 2nd and 3rd, and Zuccarello for two conditional firsts (ended as 2nd and 3rd, neither condition was met).

For the reasons I listed, I have Muzzin as more valuable than Johansson or Nyquist and somewhere in the Hayes realm. A very strong 2nd pairing defender (he's in that 2/3D range) who's offensively capable, defensively sound, physical, and a two time cup champion is very comparable in value to a 55 point 2C as a baseline. Muzzin is on pace for 37 points with close to zero PP time and is only making 4m, meaning the acquiring team is only on the hook for $1m in actual dollars. Not to mention he would probably be the best rental defender on the market (or 2nd after Barrie), he's absolutely the kind of player who would get a 1st.
Like I said I think at best itll be 2nd + prospect... or Conditonal 1st + meh prospect

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Like I said I think at best itll be 2nd + prospect... or Conditonal 1st + meh prospect

Are you going to explain your reasoning for why he is worth considerably less than Kevin Hayes? Why is he worth just slightly more than half of Zuccarello?

The Leafs acquired him almost a year ago for a 1st and two prospects who were recently drafted in the 2nd round. Pure rentals have always been able to return 1st round picks, so I wonder why you think he's lost 60% of his value. Please, share your reasoning.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
God damn is it great seeing a bunch of people going "yeah way Muzzin gets at least a 1st" after hearing years of "No way in hell Muzzin gets even a 1st, never mind more" :laugh:

I wonder what changed...

I don't see why the Leafs would even entertain trading him for anything less than an upgrade/lateral move that's younger/with term unless they absolutely tank out though?

Reactions: go4hockey

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
God damn is it great seeing a bunch of people going "yeah way Muzzin gets at least a 1st" after hearing years of "No way in hell Muzzin gets even a 1st, never mind more" :laugh:

I wonder what changed...

I don't see why the Leafs would even entertain trading him for anything less than an upgrade/lateral move that's younger/with term unless they absolutely tank out though?

Not sure, I can't account for the years prior and all the wackos out there, but here's a thread from December that has quite a few Leafs fans and more offering 1st round picks + for Muzzin.

Value of: - Jake Muzzin

For me at least, I have seen the light that is Jake Muzzin. I did not expect him to be literally everything I wanted in a defenseman, but here he is and here is where I want him to stay.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Not sure, I can't account for the years prior and all the wackos out there, but here's a thread from December that has quite a few Leafs fans and more offering 1st round picks + for Muzzin.

Value of: - Jake Muzzin

For me at least, I have seen the light that is Jake Muzzin. I did not expect him to be literally everything I wanted in a defenseman, but here he is and here is where I want him to stay.

his biggest 'problem' is a lack of flash. Add that to being on a boring LA team adding to the boring-ness, and that probably didn't help. I think most of us felt, foot speed aside, he'd bring exactly what TO would want. Which was why I was always shocked not many outside of LA seemed to think he was anything but a mediocre player.

He never struck me as a type who would leave anywhere he was traded, though, which is the bigger reason this thread surprises me, the premise being he would leave as a UFA, I think?

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Conditional 2020 1st rd. pick (Top-10 protected, Transfers to 2021 if so) + Prospect (top-5 in a team's pool) + a lower value asset (3rd/4th or B-Prospect)

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
his biggest 'problem' is a lack of flash. Add that to being on a boring LA team adding to the boring-ness, and that probably didn't help. I think most of us felt, foot speed aside, he'd bring exactly what TO would want. Which was why I was always shocked not many outside of LA seemed to think he was anything but a mediocre player.

He never struck me as a type who would leave anywhere he was traded, though, which is the bigger reason this thread surprises me, the premise being he would leave as a UFA, I think?
Everything that I’ve heard indicates that he’s plugged right in with the team and one of the glue guys in the locker room. I think a lot of Leaf fans really don’t know what’s going to happen because our cap is so squirrely. He’d probably stay if we offer him a fair contract, but it’s hard to even know if he’s in the plans or not.

I want him in the plans, but I have no idea what they are. We’re almost certain to lose either Muzzin or Barrie and it’s hard to know what management is planning. Barrie fits the ideal Dubas player but Muzzin is exactly what we need (but left handed). Who knows man.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad