Value of: value of Jake Muzzin at TDL

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
How much can the Leafs get for Muzzin at the TDL? Not likely Leafs can re-sign him, and with the state of the team cant simply continue to trade assets for pending UFA's without any results or return back.

Already lost for nothing but some learning experience
Bozak
Gardiner
JVR

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He's not really playing well, to be honest.

How so? He's one of your better shutdown guy and his +/- is better than both Rielly and Barrie. 13 pts in 29 games is pretty much is career average.

To be honest, I think you need him now and for the future. Trading him could be a huge mistake. I also think he wants to stay so you might be able to get him to leave some money on the table.

As far as his value at the deadline... It's less than what you paid to get him. Would you get a 1st? Possible but not sure. Depends on circumstance and what contender needs a top 4LD

Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
1st round pick, mediocre prospect. A top4 defenseman who can play the body and chip in on offense, making 4m on his deal will be one of the best rental defenders on the market. Cup rings and a great locker room guy.

I'm hoping we re-sign him.

He's not really playing well, to be honest.

He's clearly nursing an injury. He was phenomenal to start the year and in the playoffs.

PhiladelphiaKessel

DontCrossthe****Line
Aug 9, 2010
Pretty sure he’s already hinted at the fact that he’s not resigning here. So if the leafs are out of the playoff race by the trade deadline they should definitely look to sell UFA’s. Muzzin should fetch at least a 1st from a contender

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
He’s the guy I’d keep as the Leafs have too few defensive D that play with a physical edge.
I’d trade Barrie for another top 4 defensive D and a two way physical forward. The price to re sign Muzzin is going to be affordable while Barrie is out of reach and the Leafs already have Reilly who, like Barrie, is strong offensively but not great defensively. Muzzin brings something the D group needs more of.

Reactions: Tripod

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Avs will take him to pair with Makar so we can shoot Ryan Graves to the moon.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I don't see the Leafs bailing on the season and trading a Dman who actually knows how to play defense well. Yes they might lose him for nothing, but they knew that when they traded for him that was a likely outcome.

With Reilly, Dermott and likely Sandin next year on the left side, they need to bring in a Muzzin like player who can play the right side. It will help settle the defense down....sort of like the Flyers bringing in Niskanen and Braun on the right side while having Provy, Sanheim and Ghost on the left.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Zero chance Muzzin gets traded this year IMO. Whether they end up making the playoffs or not, they'll ride these UFA's out and lose them for nothing if they have to. They've got a tough road ahead of them to make the playoffs, but I can't see them falling far enough out of contention where they won't still go for it. Especially given they don't have their 1st this year.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I can’t see the Leafs bailing on the season at this point, come the TDL they would have to be way out of contention to dump roster players.........and that’s unlikely for them to be that far out of it.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
How much can the Leafs get for Muzzin at the TDL? Not likely Leafs can re-sign him, and with the state of the team cant simply continue to trade assets for pending UFA's without any results or return back.

Already lost for nothing but some learning experience
Bozak
Gardiner
JVR
They didn’t lose anything for those guys. They went to the playoffs. Just like every other team that has guys that walk away.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Pretty sure he’s already hinted at the fact that he’s not resigning here. So if the leafs are out of the playoff race by the trade deadline they should definitely look to sell UFA’s. Muzzin should fetch at least a 1st from a contender
You got any links to back up that claim?

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I can’t see the Leafs bailing on the season at this point, come the TDL they would have to be way out of contention to dump roster players.........and that’s unlikely for them to be that far out of it.

I'd love to agree but we are sitting 24th in points 30 games in.

I'd love to move Barrie and Muzzin if we're not in the picture come January.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I'd love to agree but we are sitting 24th in points 30 games in.

I'd love to move Barrie and Muzzin if we're not in the picture come January.

Leafs have far too much talent to miss the playoffs this year and if they do miss it more then the head coach needs to be fired. Asst coaches? GM? president? Players? If the Leafs miss the playoffs everyone’s future should be evaluated within that organization. Leaf nation would have every right to lose their minds if they miss the playoffs and I’m a guy who constantly feels the Leafs board over reacts to things on a daily/weekly basis......but if they miss out I agree with them.....some more heads need to roll.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Leafs have far too much talent to miss the playoffs this year and if they do miss it more then the head coach needs to be fired. Asst coaches? GM? president? Players? If the Leafs miss the playoffs everyone’s future should be evaluated within that organization.

Depends on the degree of the miss. If they play at a playoff pace under Keefe and just miss due to the damage done under Babcock it's one thing. If they struggle and fall well short it's another.

The tricky part is that they could play at a 100 point pace from here to the deadline (33 games) and be sitting with 70 points with 19 games to go. That would require 26 points in the last 19 games (112 point pace) to make it (likely).

That's a tough call to make.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Leafs have far too much talent to miss the playoffs this year and if they do miss it more then the head coach needs to be fired. Asst coaches? GM? president? Players? If the Leafs miss the playoffs everyone’s future should be evaluated within that organization. Leaf nation would have every right to lose their minds if they miss the playoffs and I’m a guy who constantly feels the Leafs board over reacts to things on a daily/weekly basis......but if they miss out I agree with them.....some more heads need to roll.

I have hope still, but the reality is that whether you think they are good or not, not many teams come back from the kind of points% deficit they've created for themselves.

They need to play at around 105 point pace the rest of the season to have a shot at the playoffs.

Reactions: Hunter368

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I have hope still, but the reality is that whether you think they are good or not, not many teams come back from the kind of points% deficit they've created for themselves.

They need to play at around 105 point pace the rest of the season to have a shot at the playoffs.
The Leafs are 1 point out of a playoff spot and 2nd in their division....and that's what matters. Even with Florida having the games on hand(say they win 2/3)...it's 5 points out. So in the end, they have top beat Florida by 5 more points from now until the end of the year. That is nothing

Having to catch Florida, Buffalo and Montreal....not exactly killers row. In the end, Tampa and the Leafs will catch and pass these teams. The head to head divisional games have barely started.

It would be different if they were in the Metro...Philly has 7 more points AND 2 games in hand. So a 1-1 in those GIH and the lead is 9...not 5. That makes a difference.

Reality is, they have not lost a huge amount of points to everyone #2-4 in their division. Same goes with Tampa. Only Boston is running away. I would still put money down with the Leafs making the playoffs and in no way do I see Dubas "selling" come playoff time. Can't waste the years of the signed star kids.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
The Leafs are 1 point out of a playoff spot and 2nd in their division....and that's what matters. Even with Florida having the games on hand(say they win 2/3)...it's 5 points out. So in the end, they have top beat Florida by 5 more points from now until the end of the year. That is nothing

Having to catch Florida, Buffalo and Montreal....not exactly killers row. In the end, Tampa and the Leafs will catch and pass these teams. The head to head divisional games have barely started.

It would be different if they were in the Metro...Philly has 7 more points AND 2 games in hand. So a 1-1 in those GIH and the lead is 9...not 5. That makes a difference.

Reality is, they have not lost a huge amount of points to everyone #2-4 in their division. Same goes with Tampa. Only Boston is running away. I would still put money down with the Leafs making the playoffs and in no way do I see Dubas "selling" come playoff time. Can't waste the years of the signed star kids.

Oh I believe in them, I am just saying that it will take a pretty unlikely comeback in the second half of the season to happen.

Even if that happens, I still think they need to move some pieces and that includes Muzzin.

I'd like to see

Rielly - Competent 2 way D
Dermott - Barrie
Sandin - Liljegren/Holl.

Muzzin+one of the high flying young wings for a decent top 4 RD is my dream scenario.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Oh I believe in them, I am just saying that it will take a pretty unlikely comeback in the second half of the season to happen.

Even if that happens, I still think they need to move some pieces and that includes Muzzin.

I'd like to see

Rielly - Competent 2 way D
Dermott - Barrie
Sandin - Liljegren/Holl.

Muzzin+one of the high flying young wings for a decent top 4 RD is my dream scenario.
See I don't see it as unlikely. I see it way more unlikely that Florida, Buffalo and Montreal play better than the Leafs and Lightning from now to the end of the year.

As for your trade...that makes sense and I feel they should be looking at solid RHD to pair with the skill of the LHD. The Flyers upgrading from Gudas(who was fine in a middle 4 and a good bottom pair) to Niskanen has been great for the Flyers. It's the type of move that should have been done years ago.

I still think you keep Muzzin all year and just look to ADD a RHD who has some term to try and stabilize the D.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
See I don't see it as unlikely. I see it way more unlikely that Florida, Buffalo and Montreal play better than the Leafs and Lightning from now to the end of the year.

As for your trade...that makes sense and I feel they should be looking at solid RHD to pair with the skill of the LHD. The Flyers upgrading from Gudas(who was fine in a middle 4 and a good bottom pair) to Niskanen has been great for the Flyers. It's the type of move that should have been done years ago.

I still think you keep Muzzin all year and just look to ADD a RHD who has some term to try and stabilize the D.

I like your faith, and I am right there with you.

However, it's hard to expect a team on pace for 80 points through 30 games, to spend the next 50 at a 105 pace. Even last year they landed on 100.

Here's hoping the boys have another gear in them this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad