Value of E.Johnson?

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I was thinking about him the other day. When he was drafted he looked like he could be one of the best D man in NHL history. Seems like the NHL world has forgetten about him, yet he still looks dam good every time I see him. Do you guys stillt think he has tons of upside?

EJ is good. No doubt.

But his trade value is miles higher than people can imagine. Why? Simply because Avs doesn't have anyone else who can even be considered a top 4 defenseman. Avs have the 30th best defenseman-core in the league according to me.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I still think that EJ can be as dominant as any dman in the NHL if he ever gets a good, smart and reliable partner that frees him up. We see glimpses of it when EJ gets mad or just says **** it we need some offense, he's incredible then and a force all over the ice. As he keeps maturing and gets some help we'll see that dominant side more regularly where he's not just a great defensive guy, but an all around force. If it ever gets to the point where we're seeing that side regularly he'll win a couple norris' but I doubt he ever gets to that point.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
If he had a good big shot instead of a bad big shot, more people would like him. Now most of his obvious fumbles comes when he tries to shoot.

He shoots hard, but he shoots awful. Often he shoots into a blocking player or high and wide.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
If he had a good big shot instead of a bad big shot, more people would like him. Now most of his obvious fumbles comes when he tries to shoot.

He shoots hard, but he shoots awful. Often he shoots into a blocking player or high and wide.

He has a pretty good shot in my opinion, but we rarely get to see it because he's always rushed. No one knows how to make space for him to unwind. That and of course the ever popular shot into the shins of the opposing player.

bradrich99

Feb 3, 2009
42°59′01″N 081°14′59″W
I personally think that we might be at a place where we need to remove the thoughts of his potential from the discussion. Yes, I know all about his earlier injuries and less than stellar D partners, but he has now surpassed the 300 GP mark for his career. I think what we see is what we get. This is the player he is, and will be.

He is a very good player - not a guy to be in the Norris discussion. Best D on Avs roster? Yes by a long shot. Waiting for him to break out based upon some potential partner is false hope. The other GMs around the league would no longer do a similar trade as the one that brought him here.

Just my worthless 2cents...

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
How is EJ being surrounded by Hejda/O'Byrne/Wilson/Zanon/O'Brien any different than a skilled forward being surrounded by 3rd liners? I don't think the line of reasoning that if you put someone like Yandle (or even Liles/Carle) next to him that he would look like a much better defenceman. No one thinks he is going to be 50+point player anymore. there is no reason to think he can't be a Seabrook type player.

Look who the other top defencemen in the NHL get/got to play with or had on the roster:
Keith-Seabrook
Suter-Weber
McDonagh-Giradi
Staal-Del Zotto
Enstrom-Byfugline
etc

Playing with a bunch of 3rd pairing defencemen, under the reign of Sacco is not an environment that inspires success. I love EJ, but I agree we won't see him ever being nominated for a Norris. I don't think that means he can't become one of the better defencemen in the league though, with some help.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007

I have literally NEVER seen him shoot it high. I would LOVE to see him shoot some sweet chin music at the net.

When he does get it through, not often, the goalie almost always fumbles with it. His shot is very heavy, and hard to handle for goalies. Put McGinn in front, and EJ on his off side. Don't give EJ the puck to quarterback it. Use Stastny or Parenteau on the half wall to dictate play. Then free EJ up for the shot. Our PP is way too predictable.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I have literally NEVER seen him shoot it high. I would LOVE to see him shoot some sweet chin music at the net.

When he does get it through, not often, the goalie almost always fumbles with it. His shot is very heavy, and hard to handle for goalies. Put McGinn in front, and EJ on his off side. Don't give EJ the puck to quarterback it. Use Stastny or Parenteau on the half wall to dictate play. Then free EJ up for the shot. Our PP is way too predictable.

EJ is TERRIBLE on his offside. That's the spot he always shoots it into the opposing players shins and always looks uncomfortable in when he has to make a play because he's very strong along the boards. Without the boards to use his body to shield off the other player, he's less effective.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
EJ is TERRIBLE on his offside. That's the spot he always shoots it into the opposing players shins and always looks uncomfortable in when he has to make a play because he's very strong along the boards. Without the boards to use his body to shield off the other player, he's less effective.

If you read the rest of my post you would have read that I don't want him to carry the puck, shield it, or hold it. He should be touching it for seconds at a time on the PP. Be open for a shot. That is it.

Huis Clos*

If you read the rest of my post you would have read that I don't want him to carry the puck, shield it, or hold it. He should be touching it for seconds at a time on the PP. Be open for a shot. That is it.

EJ seems to be the only guy on the team that can carry the puck into the zone on a PP. Furthermore he's quite excellent shielding the puck.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
EJ seems to be the only guy on the team that can carry the puck into the zone on a PP. Furthermore he's quite excellent shielding the puck.

I am talking about when we are set up, in our zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00