Speculation: Value of despres or letang

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrankyBaker

Jul 11, 2007
Perth
I have heard that if letang doesn't sign in this off season then shero would see him traded like stall was with a year left on term. I also have heard and read from pittsburgh jurno's that if letang signs despres will be traded. So I was wondering what the value for both would be?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
A Norris candidate that is a top 5 point producer in the NHL for defensemen that is also above average defensively, is physical and still in his mid 20's with a good chunk of his prime years still ahead of him?

Probably a lot. It depends on the team that is desperate, but there would be a lot. The return would be more than what Jordan Staal brought back. Jordan was never a top 5 point producer, a defensive stalwart sure and a Selke nominee...but Norris nominee carries the weight of "was considered one of the best" if he doesn't win it, if he does, consider his value the type of trade bait that Shero definitely can't bungle up. Not that the Staal trade was messed up or anything. He got back 2 future top 4 defensemen, another that is closer to being NHL ready and a 3rd line guy that is just that, a 3rd line guy as we've all come to terms with.

If there was a guy I would want for Letang, it'd be Bobby Ryan. Maybe. He has 2 more years left and then he's UFA. Not sure about that.

I'm not sure I want to see Letang sign an extension for more than 6m/yr. I'm not a fan of seeing defensemen getting paid upwards of 6+m/yr. Not many are worth that much (Chara, Weber...my list stops there).

CrankyBaker

Jul 11, 2007
Perth
Sorry I didn't mean the return would be like staals return just compare the way the trade can to be. I am very interested what despres would get if letang does resign. Yeah I am hoping but I doubt it will happen but maybe 7 years at 5.5 for letang

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
A Norris candidate that is a top 5 point producer in the NHL for defensemen that is also above average defensively, is physical and still in his mid 20's with a good chunk of his prime years still ahead of him?

Probably a lot. It depends on the team that is desperate, but there would be a lot. The return would be more than what Jordan Staal brought back. Jordan was never a top 5 point producer, a defensive stalwart sure and a Selke nominee...but Norris nominee carries the weight of "was considered one of the best" if he doesn't win it, if he does, consider his value the type of trade bait that Shero definitely can't bungle up. Not that the Staal trade was messed up or anything. He got back 2 future top 4 defensemen, another that is closer to being NHL ready and a 3rd line guy that is just that, a 3rd line guy as we've all come to terms with.

If there was a guy I would want for Letang, it'd be Bobby Ryan. Maybe. He has 2 more years left and then he's UFA. Not sure about that.

I'm not sure I want to see Letang sign an extension for more than 6m/yr. I'm not a fan of seeing defensemen getting paid upwards of 6+m/yr. Not many are worth that much (Chara, Weber...my list stops there).

Did you see the playoffs at all? Guy was horrible. I was so against trading him at the beginning of the year but after turning into Mike Green I have to say it should be an option.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
why do people blame Fleury's issues on coaching but don't give Letang the same benefit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad