Confirmed with Link: Valtteri Filppula agrees to 5 year deal ($5M AAV)

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
it's a nice bonus but we really don't need Flip on the PK.

I disagree that we don't need Flip on the PK. Thompson and Crombeen are a decent pairing for the 1st PK unit, but there's a lot of question marks after that. If Palat is with the Bolts next season, I'd put him on the wing on the 2nd PK unit with Filppula as the center.

If anything, I would say we don't really need players like Killorn, TJ, Stammer and Marty killing penalties. Adding Flip gives us more options.

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
Looks like the Red Wings signed a #2 center for 100k less. Stephen Weiss for 5 years @ 4.9M per year. Who would you guys rather have had?

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
Looks like the Red Wings signed a #2 center for 100k less. Stephen Weiss for 5 years @ 4.9M per year. Who would you guys rather have had?

It's pretty close despite what some may initially think. I believe that Weiss took a slight discount to play closer to his hometown in Toronto. Offensively, Weiss is much more proven and has accumulated fairly good statistics season after season in Florida when he hasn't had much support. Filppula has the advantage on face-offs and defensive play though.

In terms of our team needs, Filppula made more sense. We have plenty of capable scoring forwards in Stamkos, Marty, Purcell and Killorn, along with some good potential in Drouin, TJ and Panik.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club

Depends. While Weiss has the better numbers, hes also injured very frequently, and has played in Florida his whole career. At least Filppula has come from a winning background in DET.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Depends. While Weiss has the better numbers, hes also injured very frequently, and has played in Florida his whole career. At least Filppula has come from a winning background in DET.

When in doubt, take the guy who has better hands and a more complete / 200' game. I like the signing (-1yr -$500k AAV would have been perfect though).

Perd Hapley

Ya Heard With Perd
Jul 9, 2010
As someone who has watched Flip his whole career I'd say 4 to 4.5 million is fair, but that's the UFA market for you. The only thing I'd be cautious about is how he's a much more passive player as a center than at the wing where he drives to the net more and gets more shots off. Hopefully he can improve on that in a new situation but if not he can still be a 50 point winger with a solid all around game, wish him all the best for you guys.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Nice! No more hole at 2C.

Now for that D...

Oh, and I remember a long time ago, I was telling a friend how cool the name "Valteri Filppula" is, and that it'd be cool to have him on the Bolts, just because of the name. Woohoo. I win.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
When in doubt, take the guy who has better hands and a more complete / 200' game. I like the signing (-1yr -$500k AAV would have been perfect though).

better hands does not = more productivity. He is going to frustrate the **** out of you guys. Look for one strong year this year, then a few very bland years. Very consistent hustle, very inconsistent on the score sheet when it matters.

2 years ago i'd say ill miss Fil, but I just wont at this point. Good for him to find a new home but it was time to move on big time. Ideally, he's best suited for the third line 5 on 5, top PK, second PP maybe.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
better hands does not = more productivity. He is going to frustrate the **** out of you guys. Look for one strong year this year, then a few very bland years. Very consistent hustle, very inconsistent on the score sheet when it matters.

2 years ago i'd say ill miss Fil, but I just wont at this point. Good for him to find a new home but it was time to move on big time. Ideally, he's best suited for the third line 5 on 5, top PK, second PP maybe.

This is something we sorely lacked among our veteran players last year. It's this sort of attitude and approach to the game that should see Flip thrive under Coop, in theory.

Our PK was 19th in the league last year so every bit helps. Hopefully, he rediscovers his scoring touch from 2011-12 and benefits from playing his natural position, while not being behind Datsyuk and Z on the depth chart. Flip will also have wingers in Killorn, Drouin, Teddy and Panik who are all willing to shoot the puck, which may compensate for his pass first mentality.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Detroit fan that just wanted to stop by and give you my personal scoop on Fil:

I was always a big fan of his. He's always shown great potential, as he's a very good skater, has good skill, good hockey IQ, and seems to have his head on straight. He's not a Selke level defensive player, but he's a good 2-way player. Even as a 1st/2nd year pro, he'd often replace Holmstrom on Datsyuk/Zetterberg's line late during games to hold onto 1-goal leads.

In 11-12 he seemed to finally put it all together and had the type of offensive season that we had been expecting from him. He spent most of that year playing wing alongside Zetterberg and Hudler, who are obviously 2 skilled players, but he was a big piece to the line's success. He was quite easily the best skater on the line and would often be the forward who attacked and gained the offensive zone. I felt like he was Detroit's best puck carrier not named Datsyuk that regular season, which is impressive considering Zetterberg's presence. But he just had a ton of poise and confidence with the puck and his speed allowed him to gain the zone and cycle until the team was set up.

Last season was by far the biggest disappointment in his time in Detroit. That poise and confidence with the puck went missing. Even when he was skating good he stayed on the perimeter too much and wasn't as strong on the puck. He was coming off an injury while playing in Europe during the lockout, so hopefully he just wasn't able to get back on track for that year. But from start to finish he was just very frustrating; and it had to be frustrating for him too.

Here's my opinion on some of his attributes:

Skating: one of his biggest assets. He's not a burner by any means, but he's quick and smooth enough to use it to his advantage

Stickhandling: above average to good. Once in a while he'll pull off a move where he resembles Datsyuk and wows you, but his puck handling can be too inconsistent IMO. Even as one of his bigger fans, I've always felt like his stickhandling was somewhat overrated because he wasn't able to be consistent with it. But Datsyuk was his mentor here so you will see some similarities; especially the move where he flies up the wing then cuts on a dime and surveys his options before dishing to an oncoming teammate.

Passing/vision: in 11-12 it was really good. Last year it was bad. The skill set and mind is there, he just needs to get his confidence back.

Shooting: he's no Stamkos to say the least. With that being said he's too pass-happy at times. He can generate chances for himself, but needs to learn to attack more rather than staying outside and looking to pass.

I'm sure could post more but I feel like this one is already a bit long. I hope he works out for you as I've always been a fan. He's been more effective on the wing. I do optimistically believe that last season was just a blip on the radar and he'll be closer to the player we seen in 11-12.

Alright that's all I got. Good luck and enjoy him.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Good luck with Flippers Bolts! Has the skillset and is responsible in his own zone, but he always just seems to leave you wanting more. But when he turns it on 100% he can control the puck as a well as Dats.

The Yzerplan

Not enough goalies
May 14, 2009
What worries me the most are the reports from wings fans that he couldn't handle the second line center role and that he's better off as a winger or a 3rd line center.

The last thing we need is a 5m second line winger :help:

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
I'm still kind of iffy on this contract, especially the length, but I feel somewhat better after looking at his stats.

Faceoffs at 55% last season. Not world beating, but not shabby. And home percentage was 61%.

Defensive play seems to be better than we've had among our top 6 forwards for quite a while.

So we have a 2nd line center with at least some scoring touch who can win the puck, get it to his highly skilled linemates and can backcheck. Not too bad. I guess we'll see how it plays out.

And a special thanks goes out to Ace Hardware for allowing me to make this post in under 10 minutes!

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
I'm still kind of iffy on this contract, especially the length, but I feel somewhat better after looking at his stats.

Faceoffs at 55% last season. Not world beating, but not shabby. And home percentage was 61%.

Defensive play seems to be better than we've had among our top 6 forwards for quite a while.

So we have a 2nd line center with at least some scoring touch who can win the puck, get it to his highly skilled linemates and can backcheck. Not too bad. I guess we'll see how it plays out.

And a special thanks goes out to Ace Hardware for allowing me to make this post in under 10 minutes!

:laugh: I'm almost at the point where I'll stop visiting this site and Hockey's Future because of that ****ing annoying ad.

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
Why is 5 years too long for a 29 year old? I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that Filppula will thrive in Tampa and this contract will look just fine.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Why is 5 years too long for a 29 year old? I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that Filppula will thrive in Tampa and this contract will look just fine.

What they're missing is the fact that 2-3yrs down the road, his contract is perfectly tradeable. Vinny's was not tradeable, ever. Filppula may not need to play 2C for much longer. Killorn's natural position is Center. Johnson is a Center. 3seasons from now, Vladdy will be a 3C/2C. No one ever considers how adding one player effects other players in the lineup.

We have plenty of young forwards within the system. You can't throw them into the 2C(NHL) role and expect them to have success. Even the Sedins were 3rd liners to start. Letting Killorn play on the wing and letting Johnson grow into 2C role while playing in the NHL is immeasurably important.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
:laugh: I'm almost at the point where I'll stop visiting this site and Hockey's Future because of that ****ing annoying ad.

I use free ******* and Google Chrome and see none. Says 3 or 4 blocked on this site, 30,000 total. This site used to be on my white list, but ads became just too intrusive.

System * the name

Last edited:

TBLHoser

Jul 2, 2009
Sunshine State
I was able to install Ad Blocker for my Mac. I don't mind the ads that are on the site, just the ones that pop up every time you move the cursor over them. The site has to make money obviously, but there's a limit to what you can do before running off people.

toob

Dec 31, 2010
We overpaid for potential. Flip can certainly be worth that price for that long and i hope he does but ive watched him quite a bit and i dunno.

Not sure if i think that Flip will really make a big difference with his previous culture of winning or that his consistent D will rub off on the others either.

Mr Underhill

Jan 25, 2007
I don't know what all the complaining is about. You're not gonna sign a guy like this for under $5 mil:

th

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
So that 2nd line doesn't look like there is a go-to scorer.

Purcell doesn't like to shoot the puck. Filppula's numbers indicate he doesn't score a whole lot. Drouin will be a rookie. Not sure that is a 2nd line we will be proud of.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad