Valorant by Riot Games (PC)

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Figure start a new thread for one of the more hyped games coming out to PC.

Closed beta is going on right now. Didnt get any keys yesterday but looking to try and get one this week when they give more out.

Gameplay:

As you can see. its VERY much CounterStrike with some Overwatch. People say it has some fortnite? I don't see any kind of Fortnite present.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Never heard of it, but it certainly wears it influences on it's sleeve...

Last edited:

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I watched a lot of streams for it yesterday in the hopes of getting a key drop. I've never been one for shooters, but Riot knows what they are doing and I imagine this will catch on. Probably be a game I play whenever a group of friends are looking to game and need an extra body, but doubt I'll play it solo.

One streamer I was watching suggested that there wasn't enough variety to the level design. Basically, you do the same route every round. I have no idea if that's true or not because my lack of shooter experience, but he mentioned it a few times during the stream.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Looks like a game that'll be fun to watch, but that I will be absolutely terrible at, so I doubt I'll play it. Looks cool though.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Oh also for console guys, Riot did say they planned to port to consoles but PC is focus first. The release date for this game is Summer.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I feel like it's going to flop. I don't know where their player base is going to come from.

Most people playing CS:GO will likely keep playing it over Valorant and most of the people who aren't playing CS:GO likely won't be interested in Valorant.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I haven't been into CS in a long time, since the early 2000s, but I think that one of the main reasons why people like it is that it's rather realistic (textures aren't stylized, all weapons are real world and practical, kills can be instant, etc.). This doesn't seem very realistic (outside of possibly instant kills). The graphics have a slight cartoonish look, some of the weapons and abilities are futuristic/fantastical and the character models also are. It should fit in with the majority of team-based shooters and get some players who are growing tired of Overwatch/Fortnite/Destiny/etc, but I doubt that the CS community is going to embrace it, despite the developers obviously targeting it.

Last edited:
Reactions: tealhockey

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
So I got into beta and have been playing it abit. I like it. Is it revolutionary or going to pull in everyone? Probably not, but the skills incorporated are used ALOT more than I was expecting.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
I don't really see the appeal. I think it'll be just another game in a sea of these shooter types. It seems like riot are hedging their bets by using their massive resources to create a game for every popular genre, there's nothing particularly appealing about this to me. Haven't played yet though and I've never been into these types of games except playing overwatch casually in the early days. Think it will get a bump on launch because of how many people are tired of fortnite and looking for something new.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
It's kind of crazy to me how a company as big as Riot in the gaming world just flat out can not come out with an even remotely original idea. I get it, it's hard to come up with something new but it's just shameless copying.

I was watching briefly to see what it was and saw it was just a copy of CS:GO with Overwatch heros, even the map was the same as Mirage...

Legends of Runeterra is a Hearthstone clone.

League of Legends is a Dota clone.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
It's kind of crazy to me how a company as big as Riot in the gaming world just flat out can not come out with an even remotely original idea. I get it, it's hard to come up with something new but it's just shameless copying.

I was watching briefly to see what it was and saw it was just a copy of CS:GO with Overwatch heros, even the map was the same as Mirage...

They hit it big taking concepts from a popular game and re-purposing them different ways. It seems like a common thing. Fortnite did the same thing with PUBG, obviously they innovated with the building but you can have a lot of success tweaking something that already has a proof of concept. Silicon Valley investors have the same kind of mindset, they invest in twenty different companies, a lot of them with a "we're going to be the Uber for X" type of model and all it takes is for one to hit to be able to keep going with their model and invest in another 10-15 more businesses. Even Uber is doing that now, they're trying to be the Uber for gig work and also food delivery. I think this is how big companies look at growth now, expand into different categories rather than grow the main business. Even the biggest game they have like League is only going to get so big. TFT is also a clone of a Dota mod but it seems fairly popular and I doubt it took them many resources to push it out. I'm sure it makes them decent money...

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
I've watched a good amount of game-play over the past few days and this is something that I may would play a little bit here and there at first when it came out, but at the end of the day I can't see myself really getting into this

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Feels like Cliffy B put on a fake moustache and started developing his next knockoff game at Riot.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

How is LoR a clone of HS??

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Apparently the game's anti-cheat stuff is a kernal-level rootkit that could give them full remote access to your PC. Riot currently making sure to have posts about it on Reddit deleted, it seems.

Reactions: Roman Fell

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Defender choice and the turn structure are rather huge differences between the two

Just like how there are major differences between LoL and DoTA, but these are things that someone who hasn't actively played one or the other aren't going to pick up on or probably even know about.

It's like the differences between the NFL, CFL, and XFL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad