Valabik vs. Meszaros

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
monster_bertuzzi said:
Meszaros is more likely to have a better career, but Valabik has a higher ceiling.

I think that's fair. Meszaros will more than likely put up more points throught his career, while Valabik will probably bring a lot of intangibles.

May 1, 2003
Visit site
Legionnaire said:
I think that's fair. Meszaros will more than likely put up more points throught his career, while Valabik will probably bring a lot of intangibles.
agreed, i think Valabik will be a solid 3rd or maybe 4th defenseman, i dont see him putting to much points up, well at least not as many as Meszaros will put up

Golbez

monster_bertuzzi said:
Meszaros is more likely to have a better career, but Valabik has a higher ceiling.

How can Valabik have a higher ceiling? Maybe a higher ceiling in his house :joker:
I think you are getting your terms mixed up here.

Meszaros has far far far far far more potential than Valabik, but scouts questioned whether he could succeed at the North American game. Valabik, OTOH, showed he was made for the NA style of play.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
I think that Valibek COULD become a #2 D-Man if he improves his offense. If he doesn't, then I say a #3-#4 D-Man. Meszaros on the other hand, has the potential to become a #1 D-Man, but is more likely to become a #2 Defenseman.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Meszaros will be a very good dman. He didnt look out of place playuing against/with the best NHLers at the World Championships.

If i had to pick 1 dman to take on my team from the 04 draft it would be Meszaros.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Mezsaros by far.

I'm a huge Valabik doubter. Big, strong, can't skate, inconsistant as hell. How many of those types have we seen go this early in a draft?

Mr.Brownov*

I believe the question here is who of the two will likely have a succesful career in the NHL.I think both will be succesful.Meszaros is going to rack up some offense once he learns the NA role.And Valabik will be a defensive enforcer.Both play different styles.IMO,if you make it in the big league as a regular,you have succeeded!

Jeff Goldblum

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
Meszaros without a doubt. Valabik reminds me too much of the Mike Wilson's and Dan Focht's that were drafted early but could never find their game in the NHL.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Meszaros over Valabik is not even worthy of discussion. Meszaros is a top 3 or 4 D-man in this draft. If we are looking at impact on their NHL team, it will look something like this...

Barker
Meszaros
Thelen
Smid
Valabik

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Puckhead said:
Meszaros over Valabik is not even worthy of discussion. Meszaros is a top 3 or 4 D-man in this draft. If we are looking at impact on their NHL team, it will look something like this...

Barker
Meszaros
Thelen
Smid
Valabik

Id pur Green in there somewhere. I like him so id be willing to take him over Thelen and Smid. (insert flaming here). lol

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
Meszaros by far. With him you know wht your getting. He's a Volchenkov Kinda pick. So good and mature that he could make the team next year. Valibik is just based on potentiel and is kinda of a guess or hopeful pick. Meszaros should have been in the top 15.

CoupeStanley

Dec 1, 2003
Nicolet
coupestanley.com
Barker
Thelen
Meszaros
Smid
Valabik

You can hit an homerun with Valabik and get something extremely valuable out of him. But IMO, this is a wasted pick. Thats not because he's very big that he's the next Chara. He has a limited hockey sense and that will kill him at the nhl level.

Mr.Brownov*

Boris Valabik – Valabik is making a good first showing in Atlanta, clearly one of the best on the ice. He’s been very effective in defensive drills and his shot is much better than advertised, routinely beating the goalie. The one particular skating aspect to work on is turning forwards to backwards, but otherwise his footwork in the drills has been fine.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=7092&mode=threaded&order=0You're welcome!

dumpnchase

Apr 24, 2004
California
Valabik is overrated just because of his size. Meszaros is the more overall package that should be a top d-men for years to come.

dunwoody_joe

Mar 16, 2002
atlanta
Visit site
Valabik will be a player!

I've seen him for 2 days at the Thrashers' prospect camp and came away impressed. His skating is much better than advertised. Fast straight away, fairly agile side to side, good transition to backward skating (could use some work there) and strong first steps. Sure he needs work improving all this but it was pretty good.

Valabik is already a physical monster and really knows how to use his size. Nobody beats him wide and nobody skates near him and the boards without being punished. His checks are clean, efficient and he finishes them. He's aggressive and likes the rough stuff. He's still growing and will probably bulk up over the next two years.

Valabik's shot needs some work, although I was favorably impressed overall. His footwork on the one-time slapshot drill needs much work, but his wristers are fine.

I watched within hearing distance of Bob Hartley, Don Waddell and Dan Marr. These guys were gushing over Valabik's play. "Very mature," "atta boy" and then the funniest thing, Bob Hartley, in his thick French-Canadian accent exclaim,"that's what I'm talking about!" when Valabik annihilated Steve Baby (a big boy himself) with a check along the boards. I gotta believe they liked what they saw--I sure did!

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
dunwoody_joe said:
I watched within hearing distance of Bob Hartley, Don Waddell and Dan Marr. These guys were gushing over Valabik's play. "Very mature," "atta boy" and then the funniest thing, Bob Hartley, in his thick French-Canadian accent exclaim,"that's what I'm talking about!" when Valabik annihilated Steve Baby (a big boy himself) with a check along the boards. I gotta believe they liked what they saw--I sure did!

If they are bragging because he hit Baby, then they are reaching for straws ;) I've seen Scottie Upshall annihilate Baby.

dunwoody_joe

Mar 16, 2002
atlanta
Visit site
I am sure there are plenty of guys that have taken Baby out; but I think the point was that he used his size, strength and aggression to make a textbook play in this particular drill. Even I could see the potential.

It was a prospect camp, after all. Hard to make much of anything--except you can see the raw tools in these kids. Valabik has much more game than people here have given him credit for. Whether he's better than a, b or c, I cannot say (since I've not seen those other guys). What I can say is that within 2 years, Valabik will be in the NHL and his ceiling is high!

Kaiped Krusader

Jul 1, 2004
Rylan up the Opposition
I saw Valabik on Sunday and my assessment wasn't quite as rosy as yours. His skating is very choppy and labored. His turning radius was too large for my tastes too. That said, he seemed to move from point A to point B quickly enough, so I don't think skating will be a huge issue for the kind of game he's going to play. We didn't draft him in hopes he'd be the next Paul Coffey or Bobby Orr. Speaking of those two, Valabik's puckhandling left a lot to be desired too. He's definitely not a natural there either. Again, it's not the role we drafted him for but you do have to have some basic puckhandling competence if you're going to be a regular NHLer. I think you're overselling him when you say his ceiling is high. He'll become a physical force but he's got a lot of work to do if he wants to be a 25 minute a night physical force instead of a 10 minute a night one.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
There is no doubt that Atlanta has a plan the way they have handled their draft picks. Having said that, it makes little to no sense to have chosen Valabik at the 10 spot. I am sure that Waddell and his scouts have their reasons but why take such a project when there were some real solid choices at that time? I think if they had taken Meszaros, he would have been much more polished, can contribute in all areas, and would be a much better fit. Braydon Coburn will make the jump, this coming year, and Valabik just seems like a guy who is to big a risk to give him serious playing time. I like what Atlanta has done in the past, but I question this move up and down.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
In my opinion, Meszaros is the safer pick. He already has good skills and is better allround but doesnt probably have the ceilings Valabik has. Valabik doesnt have the skills Meszaros has now but if turns out to be what he is projected to be (next Chara), then he may be better in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad