OT: Vacation thread 2015

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
So this ship has an Ice rink you say?

NHL cruise ship series?

When I was in Seattle for the Jaguars//Seahawks game two years ago, I did a boat tour of the harbor and the guy who owns Stoli vodka had his yacht there.

Among its other amenities, which included, but were not limited to, three helipads and two Olympic sized swimming pools, since it is often in warm//tropical environments, there is a room in it that makes snow, so his kids can run around and snow ball fight or w/e when it's hot as ass out.

#firstworldproblems

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
So this ship has an Ice rink you say?

NHL cruise ship series?

Actually Royal Caribbean has several ships with rinks - offhand all the <i>Voyager</I>, <I>Freedom</I>, and <I>Oasis</I> class ships have them, so that's 12 ships. They're small rinks though so lots of obstruction/clutch/grab. And don't get me started on the lack of netting. :laugh:

4e_ice_rink5-528x393.jpg

Check out the zamboni!

voyice.jpg

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Went back to the CT shore to be with my folks and family for a week. It's pretty lame in comparison to going somewhere like Mexico, but it's still a beach and the beer is still cold. Just got back yesterday, sunburnt and five lbs heavier.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I got really seasick yesterday and ended up spending most of the trip feeding the fish. Then I fell asleep in the sun and now have a major sunburn over my entire back.

Still can't keep anything down a day later. Complete waste of a trip considering I spent less than 10 minutes in the water. Going again this Wednesday :laugh:

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Fiancee is from South Jersey (Cherry Hill). I must know more about this Pig Roast you speak of. It almost looks like they know how to do a pig pickin' too. As a NC native, this has me on the verge of an existential meltdown. Or war. I'm not sure which.

Oh, and as for me, my big thing this year is going to be Curacao for the honeymoon.

My folks are in Deptford, so just a little bit south of Cherry Hill. They've been doing it for over a decade now. Get the pig from some place in South Philly. It's an all day event, people will bring their own dishes, they had a half keg of beer, a bunch of wine, of course the whiskey, but you have to shoot that via pig's head.

The pig really is the highlight, though. They got a 140 pounder, if memory serves. And we ate the entire thing. There was absolutely no pork left over. I forget the details of how the shop cooked it, but it was delicious.

BmBE6sC.jpg

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Anyone camped on Cape Lookout before? Thinking of taking my Jeep over for a long weekend of relaxing and fishing this Fall.

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
I went to NYC for a couple days and tried out a Jersey Beach. I was told Belmar, NJ is the most exciting Jersey Beach and I thought it was lame as hell. Definitely not for young people.

Going to Atlantic Beach in two weeks though.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
i work shifts so i only have to take 4 days of vacation to get 11 days off with the way they are setup

i do have 20 days of vacation though plus "unlimited" sick days within reason (biotech industry)

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Yeah, I do shift work as well, so my 11 day beach trip cost only 5, and my 6 day New York trip cost 2. But I think I get 24 days a year of vacation time or so.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I earn 2.4 hours of ETO a week and can keep up to 32 days worth. It's used for sick days, inclement weather or vacation.

I haven't but that sounds like a good weekend to me. Just as long as someone brings a wifi connection :)

It'll be a screen free long weekend.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
Man, what type of work do you guys do that you get upwards of 20 days of vacation?!

At my old job, which was my first one out of college, we started with four weeks' paid time off (PTO). It was meant to cover basically everything but jury duty and possibly bereavement (can't remember off the top of my head). When I got promoted, I got another week. Of course, you earn it when you work in public accounting and you definitely need it at the end of busy season. It helps with the burnout, as long as you don't expect to take it between January 1 and April 15 (tax day).

At my current job, we have separate buckets for sick time and vacation time. After two years in this job, I get 15 days for vacation right now. I had to look at our HR plan to see how quickly I accrue sick time because I've never used it; we get 12 days a year.

So I guess they're comparable, but as a single guy who almost never gets anything worse than a cold, I liked PTO way better. I'd rather have 25 days free and clear than 27 days on the condition that I have to be sick to use half of them. Now that I'm getting married and kids will be coming along in the next few years, the separate buckets might make more sense when I'm not the only one who could be getting sick. But that definitely took some getting used to when I first changed jobs.

I haven't but that sounds like a good weekend to me. Just as long as someone brings a wifi connection :)

You're doing it wrong. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Vacation? Wtf is wrong with you people? What is this, France?

They said vacation, not holiday :)
I'll be up to 4 weeks vacation when I hit my 5 year in December. Fortunately my boss is lax, and since I end up working on every vacation I take, we never track my actual vacation time.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
YOU'LL GET YOUR VACATION WHEN YOU'RE FIRED.

Sigh. Trouble with startup life is that for the first little while, it's all hands on deck all the time.

Next year!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad