Raptors Discussion: v97 Raptor's 2023-2024 Season complete - 6th. worst team.

Keep or Trade - Siakam

• Trade

Votes: 63 90.0%
  • Re-Sign

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
So Its over. We can move forward. SA has our pick.
Yup.
Oh well, it was a valiant tank at the end.
Just means a lil more cap space, I guess.
Now we focus on 19 and DET2nd - should get players.
Most interesting storyline becomes what happens with Bruce Brown and Chris Boucher’s expiring deals? What happens with GTJ? Do they create more cap space? What’s gonna happen with it?
It’s an interesting off-season ahead.
What can the team add before having to lock up IQ and Scottie.
When healthy, there was lotsa good stuff going on, they competed with everyone.
Poetl -??
Scottie-KO
RJ-Agbaji
Dick-??
IQ-??

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
At least we flukes into a championship boys. Been lots of terrible, terrible, terrible decisions made since then but we do have that title 😈

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Thinking out loud but considering this trade is now completed and I am assuming were rebuilding or retooling does the new boss want Masai doing it? No idea what Masai’s contract is?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
This is honestly the best result. This draft is supposed to be ass. To the point that I was reading some draft discussion the other day where the writer talked about how he usually sorts players into tiers and that this was the first draft since he started doing so where there were no tier 1 or 2 players and potentially few tier 3 guys (for reference he considered tier 1 to be all-NBA, franchise-defining players, tier 2 to be regular all-star types, and tier 3 to be excellent starters that might occasionally make an all-star team)

Basically there's every chance the Raptors still suck next season even if they got a high pick this season and I'd rather be assured of them having their pick for that draft than having this one and hoping that the lottery luck lets them keep next year's. Next year's crop is supposed to be great.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Man, I miss the playoffs. It sucks when the Raps are not there, you know. We got used to watching them every year at this time for a few years in a row. The 20s have not been kind so far, unlike the 10s.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

rdogg

I cry your pardon
Aug 4, 2010
PEI
Webster should be fired. Trading a 1st round pick when EVERYBODY knew they were not a good team, and had absolutely no chance in the playoffs.

It kind of reminds me of when we all got to watch the #2 overall pick go to Boston for the Kessel trade. But at least Kessel was a great player for the Leafs

Reactions: hockeywiz542

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Best case would have been landing a top 6 pick this year and next year as the protection was for both seasons, then hopefully the team develops into a playoff team by now and it ends up being a mid teens pick 3 drafts from now. Not how it turned out, silver lining is having 2 later 1st rounders.

I know lots say this draft isn't much but there is some sneaky potential in the top 10. Buzelis and Topic are 2 guys I had hoped they would go if they picked 4 to 6ish.

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
This is honestly the best result. This draft is supposed to be ass. To the point that I was reading some draft discussion the other day where the writer talked about how he usually sorts players into tiers and that this was the first draft since he started doing so where there were no tier 1 or 2 players and potentially few tier 3 guys (for reference he considered tier 1 to be all-NBA, franchise-defining players, tier 2 to be regular all-star types, and tier 3 to be excellent starters that might occasionally make an all-star team)

Basically there's every chance the Raptors still suck next season even if they got a high pick this season and I'd rather be assured of them having their pick for that draft than having this one and hoping that the lottery luck lets them keep next year's. Next year's crop is supposed to be great.
I agree. I don't think they're likely to be bottom 6 next year, so I prefer them picking 20 and 31 this year for depth pieces, and select around 10 next year in a much stronger draft. (Plus we have two 1sts in '26).

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
Best case would have been landing a top 6 pick this year and next year as the protection was for both seasons, then hopefully the team develops into a playoff team by now and it ends up being a mid teens pick 3 drafts from now. Not how it turned out, silver lining is having 2 later 1st rounders.

I know lots say this draft isn't much but there is some sneaky potential in the top 10. Buzelis and Topic are 2 guys I had hoped they would go if they picked 4 to 6ish.
Or just not make that trade and keep our picks. Even trading Bruce brown, I hope we can still get something for him too.

Just bad asset management and the east sucks and we couldn’t do anything

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Or just not make that trade and keep our picks. Even trading Bruce brown, I hope we can still get something for him too.

Just bad asset management and the east sucks and we couldn’t do anything

Hindsight no one makes that trade. Don't disagree with that but that's not the reality, he's here for 4 years or they regain an asset and move him. Always a chance if he plays well some team gives up a 1st for him if they need help with a rim protector and proven guy.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
If the Raptors hadn't made the deal, they still likely end up with 8th overall. At 8, you are likely getting one of Holland or Sheppard.

19 and 31 are likely depth pieces.

If the Raptors had to give up a pick, the 8th overall in this draft is definitely better than say the 8th overall next year.

One big thing about the deal (again, not arguing that it doesn't suck in hindsight) is that if the Raptors didn't make the deal, the rotation would have been something like:
IG - Trent - Barrett - Barnes - Boucher/Olynyk

where the Raptors would be looking for 2 starters right now instead of 1 (Trent isn't a starter IMO)

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I don’t buy all this “it’s fine because a bad draft” nonsense. An 8th overall pick is always a great asset and top 10 picks are crucial to a rebuild. This is an awful trade for the Raptors and there’s no two ways about it.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
What an awful year, almost everything that could go wrong did. Quickley+RJ acquisition the only silver lining.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
I don’t buy all this “it’s fine because a bad draft” nonsense. An 8th overall pick is always a great asset and top 10 picks are crucial to a rebuild. This is an awful trade for the Raptors and there’s no two ways about it.
Nobody is saying "it's fine".

They are saying that trading a high first sucks, but that if the Raps are going to lose one, it's better that it is this one.

Putting this another way, if next year's draft and this were flipped, the Raptors would desperately want this pick because they could likely get a starter at 8 that prevents them from having a top 10 pick next year.

Short of moving up, that wasn't going to happen this year.

Reactions: Thornbury

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Nobody is saying "it's fine".

They are saying that trading a high first sucks, but that if the Raps are going to lose one, it's better that it is this one.

Putting this another way, if next year's draft and this were flipped, the Raptors would desperately want this pick because they could likely get a starter at 8 that prevents them from having a top 10 pick next year.

Short of moving up, that wasn't going to happen this year.
Yeah but next years pick could be in the high teens for all we know. Giving up a top 10 pick in the middle of a rebuild sucks. This lottery outcome is terrible, this trade is terrible.

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
I agree. I don't think they're likely to be bottom 6 next year, so I prefer them picking 20 and 31 this year for depth pieces, and select around 10 next year in a much stronger draft. (Plus we have two 1sts in '26).

Yeah but next years pick could be in the high teens for all we know. Giving up a top 10 pick in the middle of a rebuild sucks. This lottery outcome is terrible, this trade is terrible.
The chances of our pick being in the high teens seems highly unlikely. It would be a positive, even though it would reduce the value of our pick. Getting to the play-in would seem to be our ceiling next year. That would most likely put our pick the 10-12 range.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad