Raptors Discussion: v97 Raptor's 2023-2024 Season complete - 6th. worst team.

Keep or Trade - Siakam

• Trade

Votes: 63 90.0%
  • Re-Sign

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
This is probably correct. I mean there's no guarantee they're this bad or worse next year but I'd probably rather have 7-12 in next year's draft with a chance to move up than 5 or 6 in this one.
Thanks Nemmy, and on a personal note cheers my bud, hope all is well with you. Well enough here, life is busy.

My impression here is that Masai is all in on the tank for a minimum this year +2, we are going to suck. I’m fine with that personally, the NBA tank is a lot more solid then the NHL tank.

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Thanks Nemmy, and on a personal note cheers my bud, hope all is well with you. Well enough here, life is busy.

My impression here is that Masai is all in on the tank for a minimum this year +2, we are going to suck. I’m fine with that personally, the NBA tank is a lot more solid then the NHL tank.
No, the Raptors were trending towards either making the playin or just missing. Without Barnes, they are likely 11 or 12 in the East but farther back.

If they can figure out the 5th starter to play with IQ, Barnes, Barrett and Poetl, they are at least a playing team next year and maybe more.

IQ is learning to start and playing more minutes than he has. Barrett has shown the efficiency that NYK dreamed he could be.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
No, the Raptors were trending towards either making the playin or just missing. Without Barnes, they are likely 11 or 12 in the East but farther back.

If they can figure out the 5th starter to play with IQ, Barnes, Barrett and Poetl, they are at least a playing team next year and maybe more.

IQ is learning to start and playing more minutes than he has. Barrett has shown the efficiency that NYK dreamed he could be.
I realize they were hanging around but those trades weren’t to make a playoff dash. Masai is reenacting the Battle of the Bulge and playing the role of von Rundstedt.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
I realize they were hanging around but those trades weren’t to make a playoff dash. Masai is reenacting the Battle of the Bulge and playing the role of von Rundstedt.
The Raps are actually a better team since the TDL (at least by the eye test).

There are 4 guys out there who can play together where they will need another guy.

The old group was dysfunctional.

There's still work to do, but this group has pieces that can work together (and the other guys look like they could be rotational pieces).

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Was already on as far as I follow.

Not following that closely guys, only so much free time in my life, one day when the kids are gone and work is winding down I’ll be able to watch all the Jays and Raps again like I once did. So a question to you here, and it’s probably already well hashed out in here, but if someone can indulge me with an answer.

Raps traded away their first, top-6 protected right? As I hear it, draft class this year not great, next year supposedly very good. Do I have this right, and therefor we very much would prefer the Raps to finish 7 or higher this year to get the traded pick obligation out of the way?

And then run the tank full pedal down next year?

Thanks
While next year's draft is pegged to be better, the Raptors being in 'tank mode' would be bad and would likely mean a few (if not all) of the following things happened:

1. Barnes/Barrett/Quickley have major injuries causing them to miss time
2. Barnes/Barrett/Quickley are simply not that good of a core and fail to take the next step
3. The coaching stinks or the players have quit on the coach
4. There is a culture problem and the team is not meshing
5. The team is lacking depth and the lack of a serviceable bench continues to be an issue
6. Whatever acquisitions or moves Masai and co. make in the summer failed

Now I don't think I need to explain why these are all bad things as they are self explanatory, but pretty much Masai is building the team around a nucleus of Barnes/Barrett/Quickley and it's important that they keep taking positive strides, even if that means just being a bubble team next year. If this team stinks so bad that it's in lottery territory again next year then that is a bad sign for the future. I also don't see them being that bad and I don't believe Masai has the intention of running a tank next year, you don't want to end up with a loser culture like Charlotte or Detroit in the process.

At this point, the silver lining of the Barnes injury is that Ochai and Nwora will hopefully get more chances to develop and showcase themselves.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Nowell waived. Too bad, was rooting for him as an underdog, he had unfortunate timed injury that's kept him out as well. Maybe he gets brought back to 905 next year...

Reactions: hockeywiz542

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Why was that max that he could sign for according to NBA cap/contract rules. Why wouldnt those $30m-$40m contracts not be allowed for him?

Veteran extensions are up to 140% of the last contract average or something like that. Making all nba teams or other accolades help get the larger salaries and escalate it. I'm no expert but from my little reading that is what I got from it.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Lmao we gonna finish 7th last and have to give up our first from that stupid poetl trade aren’t we lol

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Whats up with Chris Boucher? I have seen some people creating controversy? Why he isn’t playing much.
He fell out of Darko's rotation. He had the same issues as Pascal (tunnel vision) with some extra fouls. Basically, he's a perfect fit for the team defensively and a terrible fit for the team offensively (a perfect fit for Nurse)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00