Speculation: Utica Comets might play in Canada for the upcoming AHL season. Abbotsford perhaps?

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
According to Friedman's 31 Thoughts:

30. This depends on what happens with the border, but there is talk that Canadian-based NHL teams with U.S.-based AHL affiliates are considering moving them north of the 49th for the 2020–21 season. That’s Calgary/Stockton; Edmonton/Bakersfield; and Vancouver/Utica. It makes sense, because a quarantine period would mean you can’t call up players. Not sure if those teams would be based out of the NHL buildings or centralized, but it is something these three organizations must prepare for.

Abbotsford would be a big possability given its location relevant to the big club.

It would make sense for the farm team to be in Canada because if you called a player up they would have to quaranine for 2 weeks if they are coming from Utica.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
According to Friedman's 31 Thoughts:

30. This depends on what happens with the border, but there is talk that Canadian-based NHL teams with U.S.-based AHL affiliates are considering moving them north of the 49th for the 2020–21 season. That’s Calgary/Stockton; Edmonton/Bakersfield; and Vancouver/Utica. It makes sense, because a quarantine period would mean you can’t call up players. Not sure if those teams would be based out of the NHL buildings or centralized, but it is something these three organizations must prepare for.

Abbotsford would be a big possability given its location relevant to the big club.

It would make sense for the farm team to be in Canada because if you called a player up they would have to quaranine for 2 weeks if they are coming from Utica.

a canadian ahl division would be a serious logistical challenge to get in place by january.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I would imagine it’s more likely the Comets would be moved to Ontario to avoid absolutely ridiculous travel and reduce costs.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow!. From a personal standpoint, the Canuck farmhands down the road in Abbotsford would be awesome. But I'd be more than a little worried that if it worked out really well, the Comets might stay there permanently and play in the AHL's Western Conference, which has long been speculated.

It would really suck if AHL hockey in Utica came to a grinding halt because of the pandemic. But this could the reality of the new world we're in.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Well besides the travel to get everything over there, it's not like the Abbotsford center is being used for anything.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I don’t know that it would. A place like Hamilton has a completely empty rink. Could probably base multiple teams there.

the bulldogs play in hamilton .

not saying impossible, but it is a pretty significant challenge to relocate a bunch of teams to canada and figure out a schedule and get meaningful numbers of paying customers with no season ticket base in the middle of covid.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
the bulldogs play in hamilton .

not saying impossible, but it is a pretty significant challenge to relocate a bunch of teams to canada and figure out a schedule and get meaningful numbers of paying customers with no season ticket base in the middle of covid.

Whoops, forgot about them.

But the point holds. Find an empty arena somewhere in southern Ontario close to the Belleville/Toronto/Laval teams and put all 3 teams in that arena. Hugely limit travel costs that way. No fans so it doesn't matter.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
The easiest thing to do would be combine the leagues for a year, logistically. Every time two NHL teams play, their AHL teams play earlier in the day (or the next day), or something. Either in the same arena, or at a practice arena in the same city. The teams would travel together and call-ups would be really smooth.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Whoops, forgot about them.

But the point holds. Find an empty arena somewhere in southern Ontario close to the Belleville/Toronto/Laval teams and put all 3 teams in that arena. Hugely limit travel costs that way. No fans so it doesn't matter.

Who is on the hook for housing in these temporary relocations? I know for the Whitecaps and Blue Jays, they are staying in hotels in Portland and Buffalo, respectively...if the AHL teams have to provide ongoing player housing for the entire season, that's probably not saving that much money.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Who is on the hook for housing in these temporary relocations? I know for the Whitecaps and Blue Jays, they are staying in hotels in Portland and Buffalo, respectively...if the AHL teams have to provide ongoing player housing for the entire season, that's probably not saving that much money.

If player is assigned to Utica, they're responsible for their own housing, so I would assume that if a player assigned to the Utica Comments playing home games in Mississauga or something that nothing would really change. I have no idea though.

It's a bit different to MLB/NHL where long-term players will own houses or condos. Everyone in the AHL is transitory to begin with and it shouldn't really matter what city you're in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad