Utica Comets AHL Discussion - Part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
so about Grenier do you think he need more time in the AHL next season? and what kind of player will he likely be in the NHL? a fourth line player? He can skate for his size right?

UticaHockey has it correct. I don't see him as 4th liner. He is big, but not a rock em sock em energy line guy. He is too tentative and coasts around until he thinks he sees a chance coming and then he goes.

He gets a break with one man to beat and instead of trying to use his speed and a move or dropping a shoulder and muscling his way to the net, he'll just flip a shot, force a pass, or dump it. He just won't use the plethora of skills he has.

Lately he has been trying to use his body, but he telegraphs that he is coming and slows down to get it just right and then misses, gets a piece, or makes decent contact that the guy just brushes off because the hit was done so methodically and slowly. Then he'll all of a sudden paste somebody.

I can't repeat myself enough. Unless this guy wakes up some morning and decides to do his good stuff every shift and get rid of his disappearance shifts and half ***ed play, he is career AHL player. What a shame because the other him is big, fast, has good puck skills, and has a great twisted wrister.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
UticaHockey has it correct. I don't see him as 4th liner. He is big, but not a rock em sock em energy line guy. He is too tentative and coasts around until he thinks he sees a chance coming and then he goes.

He gets a break with one man to beat and instead of trying to use his speed and a move or dropping a shoulder and muscling his way to the net, he'll just flip a shot, force a pass, or dump it. He just won't use the plethora of skills he has.

Lately he has been trying to use his body, but he telegraphs that he is coming and slows down to get it just right and then misses, gets a piece, or makes decent contact that the guy just brushes off because the hit was done so methodically and slowly. Then he'll all of a sudden paste somebody.

I can't repeat myself enough. Unless this guy wakes up some morning and decides to do his good stuff every shift and get rid of his disappearance shifts and half ***ed play, he is career AHL player. What a shame because the other him is big, fast, has good puck skills, and has a great twisted wrister.

Do you see it as a conditioning issue or a mental thing?

He's also listed at 200 pounds. For a 6'5~6'6 guy, that feels pretty lanky.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Another exciting come back in front of your 12th sellout of the season and we are averaging 89% capacity for the season.

Down 2 - 1 going into the third the Comets score twice to take the lead but Milwaukee scores late to tie it up. The Comets have several good chances in OT on a power play but couldn't get the winning goal.

In the shootout Pelletier scores on a deke to the backhand. Grenier makes a nice move but is stopped. DeFazio scores on a great move to the backhand followed by Marshall with a bar down snipe. Joacky makes a great glove save on the 5th shooter for the win.

Regulation goals:

Grenier on the power play parks himself in front of the net and tips in a Corrado shot.

Pelletier scored on a beautiful wrister on a poor defensive coverage by the Admirals.

DeFazio scored a power play goal in a rebound scrum in front.

Two fights. DeFazio pummeled #2 after a nasty hit on O'Reilly. Archie got into a fight with #4 and other than a big shot at the end Archie got the worst end of this fight.

The five on 4 PP had some wrinkles tonight. The pass around the outside ad nauseum to finally get a backdoor one timer was used.

However, they also went to a man standing in front of the net and worked for a center blue line slapper. Grenier's goal from Corrado's shot.

They also worked a give and go from the centrally located D-man at the blue line to a short man on the boards and back to the breaking d-man towards the net, who let loose fro between the circles causing chaos with a crashing forward to get the rebound, the other PP goal.

Much more effective.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
The five on 4 PP had some wrinkles tonight. The pass around the outside ad nauseum to finally get a backdoor one timer was used.

However, they also went to a man standing in front of the net and worked for a center blue line slapper. Grenier's goal from Corrado's shot.

They also worked a give and go from the centrally located D-man at the blue line to a short man on the boards and back to the breaking d-man towards the net, who let loose fro between the circles causing chaos with a crashing forward to get the rebound, the other PP goal.

Much more effective.

I thought the 4 on 3 power play in OT looked good too. Much better than our usual 5 on 3 PP. They didn't take a ton of shots but you don't really want to settle for low percentage shots on a 4 on 3. They really looked like they were going to win it on that OT power play.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
well i was expecting a poor start to fridays game. been going on all year, after a 3-5 day break the team comes out slow and the starts to play in the 3rd. players and staff have said that green cuts down on practice time and tries to rest the team for the 3 games in 3 nights schedule. sounds like they need a differant approuch.

i wouldnt say eriksson was weak, both shorthanded goals were 2 on 1s with absolutley no back pressure and the d taking away the pass. just too much time and space to pick corners.

overall the team just needs a sniper or two , quick goals just dont happen, they work their butts off for everything they get!!

Gotcha covered. Fox and Shinkaruk on the way next training camp.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I have a feeling going to a live Comet game would be much more exciting than going to a Canucks game at Rogers Arena.

I wouldn't pass on the Canucks.

It is a real good time at the Aud! The fans are usually alive and supportive. They do get loud and don't have to be prompted even though the big screens keep trying to pump the fan base even more. I have never seen so many players just hand sticks over the glass after victories. They salute the crowd which goes over big, but the players go that extra yard and give away their lumber, usually to the kids. I know that's a lot of dollars.

These guys are becoming heroes to the community in their own rights by their actions both on and off the ice.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Yeah, only if all our opponents were AHL-calibre.

All I know is the team that holds the last playoff spot is those Rochester Americans. So there must still be some bulls left in the barn. 5 more points and the Comets would be even.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Thanks very much for the recap! Nice to see the PP click for two goals and Corrado get in on both. He's been playing really well lately. He's playing more like the #1 defenseman I thought he'd be for the Comets at the beginning of the year.

Really putting his offensive skills to work. Playing much better in his own end as well, but still has his momentary lapses of reason.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Do you see it as a conditioning issue or a mental thing?

He's also listed at 200 pounds. For a 6'5~6'6 guy, that feels pretty lanky.

He's big, but he is by no means a giant of a man. He could fill out a little with the right regimen. It's not physical weakness, it's the lack of that ingrained desire to get it done. He just doesn't seem to be able to just pull the plug and go for it.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Gotcha covered. Fox and Shinkaruk on the way next training camp.

That is the preview scoop. First, I'll believe it when I see them in the Comets jersey. It's along ways until October. Then we'll probably shout with glee if they produce even close to the clippings that precede them. That is the most serious piece missing from the lineup, true goal scorers. Another real solid D-man would also be helpful.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
That is the preview scoop. First, I'll believe it when I see them in the Comets jersey. It's along ways until October. Then we'll probably shout with glee if they produce even close to the clippings that precede them. That is the most serious piece missing from the lineup, true goal scorers. Another real solid D-man would also be helpful.

I would put a decent amount of money on Fox keeping up a solid pace in the AHL. You should check out some of his highlights, he creates a lot of his goals himself and almost never plays with McJesus.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls

Well, McEneny will also be in training camp. Trouble is, chances are a rookie pro D is unlikely to be "real solid" right away. Same for Hutton if he decides to come out this year.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
I would put a decent amount of money on Fox keeping up a solid pace in the AHL. You should check out some of his highlights, he creates a lot of his goals himself and almost never plays with McJesus.

That's my thinking too. Just because he's 20 doesn't mean his shots are made with smoke and mirrors. He won't have a McDavid to tee it up, but then again, he hasn't relied on McDavid all the time anyway. Gaunce at least will be a familiar player for setups. I think Fox will have a chip on his shoulder going into the AHL along with two first-rounders in Gaunce and Shinkaruk, and will be extra-motivated to prove himself.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
That's my thinking too. Just because he's 20 doesn't mean his shots are made with smoke and mirrors. He won't have a McDavid to tee it up, but then again, he hasn't relied on McDavid all the time anyway. Gaunce at least will be a familiar player for setups. I think Fox will have a chip on his shoulder going into the AHL along with two first-rounders in Gaunce and Shinkaruk, and will be extra-motivated to prove himself.

It stands to reason that if the Canucks don't go crazy cleaning house that there won't be room up there for these new guys. Here's hoping to watch them develop. The nucleus here won't be bad and some young speed and gunslinging would be a prayer come true.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
The Canucks will have no problem making room for players in Utica next season. It's tweeners like Schroeder that they will have to make tough decisions with.

Wetcoaster

The Canucks will have no problem making room for players in Utica next season. It's tweeners like Schroeder that they will have to make tough decisions with.
It seems clear that Schroeder is on the outside looking in.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
This might be laughable, but is there a scenario where the Comets might not have room for McEneny next year and he'd go back for his overage year? Not saying I like the idea, just curious. Would we have to sign him to an ELC to keep his rights if that were the case?

Assuming they keep Huskins and Biega, I guess we're looking at something like:

Huskins-Corrado (although I could see Corrado with the big club if one of the big 4 is dealt)
Andersson-Biega
Tommernes...

Am I forgetting someone here? Obviously Sauve's gone. They'll probably bring in another AHL lifer for depth at the very least, but it looks like there's a pretty obvious spot for EMc2 now that I lay it out.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
It stands to reason that if the Canucks don't go crazy cleaning house that there won't be room up there for these new guys. Here's hoping to watch them develop. The nucleus here won't be bad and some young speed and gunslinging would be a prayer come true.

I think the resigning of Santorelli is big for Utica and what the Canucks get for Kesler, and possibly Edler and whether Horvat makes the team.

We have a huge amount of forwards/Defenseman signed or undercontrol for next year if we sign Santo
Sedins Burrows
Higgins Kesler Hasen
Mathias Santo Kassian
Richardson Horvat Jenson
Sestito Dalphe Schoeder,

Bieksa Hamhuis
Edler Garrison
Tanev Stanton

A good number on NTC's so i do not think the team can or will clean house, besides Hunter S., Gaunce, and Fox haven't proven anything yet so should start in the AHL. I think the Canucks want these players to be in the AHL for a couple years with occasional spot duty before thinking of moving them up. Hopefully for both the Canucks and Utica this is the thinking. It would seem the Canucks will not be trading any picks for a while and should get mulitiple assets for Kesler so the organization's depth should improve.
A rumor in another thread was the Blackhawks giving up three younger players for Kesler, if that took place, kids would have to stay on the farm as they wouldn't be a place to go upless they dominated the AHL. Utica will benefit from Vancouver struggling a bit, as they go from trading picks to keeping their own picks and getting some additional ones. At the same time Vancouver wants to make the playoffs so will not trade NHL players just for picks. I do not see them flipping Hansen/Higgins unless so one in Utica is showing they can replace them. Having Hansen/Higgins guarantees good young players will learn their craft in Utica instead of the NHL. I think this is the way to go but Vancouver has never had mulitple young propects in the AHL before so i will be watching excitedly to see how it goes. Hope it works out for the Canucks and Utica.

thedavid

Jan 26, 2012
Vancouver
This might be laughable, but is there a scenario where the Comets might not have room for McEneny next year and he'd go back for his overage year? Not saying I like the idea, just curious. Would we have to sign him to an ELC to keep his rights if that were the case?

Assuming they keep Huskins and Biega, I guess we're looking at something like:

Huskins-Corrado (although I could see Corrado with the big club if one of the big 4 is dealt)
Andersson-Biega
Tommernes...

Am I forgetting someone here? Obviously Sauve's gone. They'll probably bring in another AHL lifer for depth at the very least, but it looks like there's a pretty obvious spot for EMc2 now that I lay it out.

He's already signed to an ELC which hasn't kicked in yet (sliding contract).

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
My guess with a bunch of prospect graduating from junior to the pro, canucks will use the detriot model of development where if they are not ready, they will be in the AHL at bit longer for another year

I believe Detriot usually have prospect spend 1 or two year before reaching the NHL unless they are ready

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I concur that next year should be very interesting in Utica. One of the things that hasn't been mentioned (at least not in the last few posts) is that Green will have a year under his belt, and that could make a big difference. The Canucks' stated intention was to have a younger coach who would grow in the position. I'm optimistic that Green will indeed be better able to get the most from his players, and if so the organization could be on its way to having something special in its AHL operation. If the Comets are able to develop a few more exciting youngsters while staying above the playoff bar, it seems that the team could be a very big hit at the box office and in the community.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
I concur that next year should be very interesting in Utica. One of the things that hasn't been mentioned (at least not in the last few posts) is that Green will have a year under his belt, and that could make a big difference. The Canucks' stated intention was to have a younger coach who would grow in the position. I'm optimistic that Green will indeed be better able to get the most from his players, and if so the organization could be on its way to having something special in its AHL operation. If the Comets are able to develop a few more exciting youngsters while staying above the playoff bar, it seems that the team could be a very big hit at the box office and in the community.
i agree,having a second year coach and a system in place will eliminate that horrible start. and the comets goaltending the first ten games was their biggest problem. as far as vancouver, i can see them trading a couple vets for young talent, and with the others coming in it will be an exciting team. i would expect all those young players to see time in both leagues. sundays game was exciting, a couple scraps(archibold finally did something, but then again it took someone punching him in the mug!!) lain has cooled off, grenier shows glimpses. corrado playing much better, along with biega and huskins gives them 3 nice players on d. the vets continue to lead, stuart,oriely,pelletier, defazio has been a horse!! goaltending has been great for the most part. and best of all the team is making a run for a playoff spot when they coulda rolled over months ago. fans love them to death, 12 sell outs so far, i doubt the devils had 12 sellouts in the 6 years they were here.

Wetcoaster

I think he'll get offered qualifiers and probably take them. The question is whether he'll clear waivers if/when the Canucks send him down.
It might be best to not take up a contract slot and let him walk as a free agent.

He looks to me like a player who would be better off in Europe where he might able to build his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad