Utica Comets AHL Discussion - Part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I also believe Friesen's second half of last season earned his spot on this roster

So I've heard. I watched mostly in the first half of the season and I couldn't bare to watch his shifts.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
So I've heard. I watched mostly in the first half of the season and I couldn't bare to watch his shifts.

Pretty amazing. If I had only seen his first half, (which I did) I would've fully agreed with you. Something lit a fire in his *** and he became an amazing fore-checking, back checking, corner digging, net banging, hitting. scoring machine. Two entirely different players. Utica's Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde. If there's room, I'd definitely take another whirl with him over a bunch of other Comets.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Pretty amazing. If I had only seen his first half, (which I did) I would've fully agreed with you. Something lit a fire in his *** and he became an amazing fore-checking, back checking, corner digging, net banging, hitting. scoring machine. Two entirely different players. Utica's Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde. If there's room, I'd definitely take another whirl with him over a bunch of other Comets.

Jensen from bust to goal scorer. Strange occurrences down in Utica.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Jensen from bust to goal scorer. Strange occurrences down in Utica.

Jensen will start this season at 21 years of age. He began last season recovering from a shoulder injury. He came to Utica and was not very impressive for half a season. Then he was paired with O'Reilly and caught fire. I wouldn't say he could ever have been called a bust.

He didn't actually become a prolific goal scorer either. He had a spurt of 13 goals in 20 games between 1/9 and 2/22 and finished the season with 15G/6A=21 Pts in 54 games. In 17 games with the Canucks he had 3G/3A=6Pts which would project to less than 15 goals and less than 30 points over a full season.

He has a ways to go before we can call him a goal scorer. He has talent, but the accolades being showered upon him by some of the Vancouver faithful is a little premature. He could very easily be a Comet for another season.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Jensen will start this season at 21 years of age. He began last season recovering from a shoulder injury. He came to Utica and was not very impressive for half a season. Then he was paired with O'Reilly and caught fire. I wouldn't say he could ever have been called a bust.

He didn't actually become a prolific goal scorer either. He had a spurt of 13 goals in 20 games between 1/9 and 2/22 and finished the season with 15G/6A=21 Pts in 54 games. In 17 games with the Canucks he had 3G/3A=6Pts which would project to less than 15 goals and less than 30 points over a full season.

He has a ways to go before we can call him a goal scorer. He has talent, but the accolades being showered upon him by some of the Vancouver faithful is a little premature. He could very easily be a Comet for another season.

I think he will. If Benning wants to make the playoffs it will mean UFA shopping with some of the copious capspace Gillis left him and the Kesler trade increased. Benning should be looking to add another top 6 player or two, if the likes of Horvat/Jensen/Shinkaruk are filling top 6 rolls I'd suspect Benning was trying for a top draft pick next year.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think he will. If Benning wants to make the playoffs it will mean UFA shopping with some of the copious capspace Gillis left him and the Kesler trade increased. Benning should be looking to add another top 6 player or two, if the likes of Horvat/Jensen/Shinkaruk are filling top 6 rolls I'd suspect Benning was trying for a top draft pick next year.

Yeah, you have to think Jensen is back in the AHL.

He had a nice blip for 10-15 games in the AHL last year after a horrendous first few months to the season and then 5 good games with the Sedins, but then regressed badly when taken away from Henrik and looked pretty hopelessly overmatched in his last 10 games of the season.

Needs a lot more improvement to be a consistent top-6 forward since there's no way in hell he'll ever be a serviceable bottom-6 guy.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Yeah, you have to think Jensen is back in the AHL.

He had a nice blip for 10-15 games in the AHL last year after a horrendous first few months to the season and then 5 good games with the Sedins, but then regressed badly when taken away from Henrik and looked pretty hopelessly overmatched in his last 10 games of the season.

Needs a lot more improvement to be a consistent top-6 forward since there's no way in hell he'll ever be a serviceable bottom-6 guy.

Yup, agree. Not defensive minded enough or really capable of being a checking line member and not rugged enough to be a 4th line grinder. So if the brass brings in UFA or trade talent of the top 6 variety, there is no room for Jensen at this time.

He either hones his talents as a top 6 type in the AHL where he has to add "really sharing" the puck with his linemates to his skill set as well as his own scoring touch where he is a steady threat to score every night or he will find himself mired in the AHL or trade bait for a lower tier team who needs some scoring help and will live with his shortcomings.

If he completes his aforementioned overall abilities in Utica, then he will be ready to move into that role in Vancouver as the old guard moves on. He can do this, but he must set his mind to it and develop the work ethic he is short on. He is currently missing that drive that catapults a player to the next level.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

"If the likes of Horvat/Jensen/Shinkaruk are filling top 6 rolls I'd suspect Benning was trying for a top draft pick next year."

He doesn't seem to have a prepare for next year's draft and play the rookies attitude. He has a get to the playoffs now attitude as does Linden and ownership. That means filling the needs with veteran talent not rooks.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Utica is shaping up to be pretty loaded at LW next year: Jensen, Shinkaruk, Zalewski, Fox, Archibald, Kenins, even Friesen. But at least 2 of these guys can switch to the other wing to make more room. Don't think they're as strong at RW currently.

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
Utica is shaping up to be pretty loaded at LW next year: Jensen, Shinkaruk, Zalewski, Fox, Archibald, Kenins, even Friesen. But at least 2 of these guys can switch to the other wing to make more room. Don't think they're as strong at RW currently.

The Comets have potential to be more exciting to watch than the Canucks. Hopefully it will be a good year for both clubs.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The Comets have potential to be more exciting to watch than the Canucks. Hopefully it will be a good year for both clubs.

"The Comets have potential to be more exciting to watch than the Canucks."

I've been chuckling for quite some time after reading this. After the first half of last season, to be talking about the Comets potentially being good is exciting. Time will tell, but it's fun looking forward to winning rather than just cheering to keep morale up.

The second half of last season was great fun and this season looks to be an improvement, so I am looking forward to an even more enjoyable winter at the Aud.

GO COMETS!

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Got to admit that this sucks. However, he was a free agent. I'm sure he got a bigger contract over there than Vancouver would have committed to. He's 31 and his time for a paycheck is waning. A player has to get what he can while the money is on the table.

We'll miss him here in Utica, but at the same time understand his situation and wish him all the best for his remaining career. Maybe he really impresses over there and can make some big bucks or even get an NHL shot back here with another franchise.

Pascal, carry the news to the other side about how great it is to play in Utica. Hey, you never know.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Darn, tough to see their leading scorer go but he has to do what's best for him at this point in his career. Loved the way he set an example for the young guys to follow down there though with his consistency and experience. Wonder what happens with O'Reilly...

The Comets need to make an even bigger effort to get him signed now.
His leadership and on ice play was integral to Utica's (Jensen's) second half success.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
It was noted at the end of last season there were KHL scouts at the Aud to get a look at Peletier so I guess this is not a huge surprise.

I know that there are some promising youngsters moving up from juniors next year but I hope that the Canucks are wise enough to sign some solid veterans to add much needed leadership to this young group.

Dreamboat

Esports Caster
Feb 1, 2009
Victoria
twitter.com
One thing is too, in the AHL, its not necessarily retain the same scorers year to year, there's always other ones, and unlike the NHL, guys dont sign long term contracts, so there is a fair bit of roster turnover.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Benning should look at Schroeder again, more as an option for Comets.

I think there will be teams out there offering Schroeder one way contracts.

Unless Benning is paying Schroeder NHL money to play in Utica, I think he's gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad