Utah... Yetis?

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
How do I submit my application for team logo?

1000008863.png

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
The best option would have been the Utah Coyotes, keeping the colours and all from PHX/ARZ, but I can see why the current ownership choose to keep this in case of expansion.

I don't like the "Yeti", because it feels too cartoonish (we have enough of that with Kraken and Predators). I don't like Blizzard or any other weather phenomena, because of Avalanche, Hurricanes and Lightning already exist.

With the "Utah Coyotes" off the table, a wild west theme would be a nice add to the league. Don't like the "Pioneers" or "Explorers", though. Maybe the "Gunslingers" or "Outlaws". "Outlaws" would also be somewhat humorous considering that SLC is heavily associated with religiousness.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
The best option would have been the Utah Coyotes, keeping the colours and all from PHX/ARZ, but I can see why the current ownership choose to keep this in case of expansion.

I don't like the "Yeti", because it feels too cartoonish (we have enough of that with Kraken and Predators). I don't like Blizzard or any other weather phenomena, because of Avalanche, Hurricanes and Lightning already exist.

With the "Utah Coyotes" off the table, a wild west theme would be a nice add to the league. Don't like the "Pioneers" or "Explorers", though. Maybe the "Gunslingers" or "Outlaws". "Outlaws" would also be somewhat humorous considering that SLC is heavily associated with religiousness.

Agreed. Keeping it the Coyotes seems like the obvious choice.

If the owners expand beyond 32 teams, it will be final confirmation they don't give a shit about hockey and it's all about the money (to go along with the 100 other confirmations of this).

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Agreed. Keeping it the Coyotes seems like the obvious choice.

If the owners expand beyond 32 teams, it will be final confirmation they don't give a shit about hockey and it's all about the money (to go along with the 100 other confirmations of this).
They're billionaires. They've never cared for anything beyond money. Otherwise they wouldn't be billionaires.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
It's been all about money for a very long time now. No final confirmation necessary.

But lemme tell ya, as someone in a market that will receive a team, hockey fans here are beyond excited and hopeful that this market will finally have a team with a committed owner who isn't going broke. Talk beyond that is probably OT, and has been covered ad nauseam in the business board thread.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I'm sure I am the only one who actually likes The Utah Hockey Club.
I hate it. Too Euro for me(sorry fellas!) I just wish like everyone else they got to keep the name, colors, etc of Arizona.

I like the Utah Mammoth(s). However anyone want to say it.

Vipers of Salt Lake City would sting a little...

It'll be interesting to see what they name themselves, colors, etc.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
My understanding is that they can't be the Coyotes anymore because they gave the rights to that name to the former owner of the Coyotes who is now trying to bring hockey back to Arizona. They should have just let them keep using Coyotes until the Coyotes came back to Arizona, or until they decided on a Utah name they wanted to keep indefinitely.

dj4aces

Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
My understanding is that they can't be the Coyotes anymore because they gave the rights to that name to the former owner of the Coyotes who is now trying to bring hockey back to Arizona. They should have just let them keep using Coyotes until the Coyotes came back to Arizona, or until they decided on a Utah name they wanted to keep indefinitely.
It's a little more than that.

The "franchise" didn't relocate to Utah, only the players and some staff, etc. This includes minor league assets, prospects, etc. The "Coyotes", as a franchise, has been made dormant by the league, and Alex Meruelo has a five year window to acquire land and get the arena completed.

If current reporting is correct, he has until next April to actually acquire the land he needs, and the arena needs to be at least half finished by 31 December 2027. If it's at that point on or before that date, he can pay back the $1bn to the NHL and start the expansion draft process. If all this happens, the team should resume play in time for the 2029-2030 season, with the actual expansion draft occurring in the summer of 2029.

There's no word yet on what happens to the remains of the Coyotes franchise should Meruelo fail, but if I had to guess, it would go to the league until someone steps up, builds a barn, and pays the $1bn (or more?) to resurrect the Coyotes in Phoenix.

Reactions: Gniwder and Sparty

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
It's a little more than that.

The "franchise" didn't relocate to Utah, only the players and some staff, etc. This includes minor league assets, prospects, etc. The "Coyotes", as a franchise, has been made dormant by the league, and Alex Meruelo has a five year window to acquire land and get the arena completed.

If current reporting is correct, he has until next April to actually acquire the land he needs, and the arena needs to be at least half finished by 31 December 2027. If it's at that point on or before that date, he can pay back the $1bn to the NHL and start the expansion draft process. If all this happens, the team should resume play in time for the 2029-2030 season, with the actual expansion draft occurring in the summer of 2029.

There's no word yet on what happens to the remains of the Coyotes franchise should Meruelo fail, but if I had to guess, it would go to the league until someone steps up, builds a barn, and pays the $1bn (or more?) to resurrect the Coyotes in Phoenix.
Oh god. The Arizona saga will never be over. Gary will never allow it.

If he doesn't hit these 5 target dates he can just restart the process....

Reactions: dj4aces

dj4aces

Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Oh god. The Arizona saga will never be over. Gary will never allow it.

If he doesn't hit these 5 target dates he can just restart the process....
It's a lot less about Gary, and a lot more about the owners. The league wants teams in every large market, and now three of the top ten media markets are without teams. Rest assured, Meruelo doesn't have an endless timeline out there.

No one on the BoG expects Meruelo to succeed. Even if he does, support from hockey fans in PHX is questionable at best, as many blame him (rightfully so) for the reason the team was made inactive and the players moved to Salt Lake.

Reactions: Winger98 and Sparty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad