Utah team name polling opens, list of potential names revealed

powerbomb

Apr 6, 2013
It is neither exaggeration nor hyperbole to say that literally every single one of the suggested names are downright horrible.

With the recently rebranded Washington Commanders and Cleveland Guardians, why does it seem impossible for any sports ownership group to tender a non-atrocious moniker for their club? It's like they shrug and collect a bunch of middle school suggestions into a hat...

:help:

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
The issue with Yeti is that the Avs already have a Yeti for mascott and they have the big foot on their shoulders.

Call them the Fury and use the Mammoth as logo. I mean I love the Mammoth as an emblem but not for a name.
The Avs removed the big foot on the shoulder yokes back around 2015. I have no idea if they have a Yeti as a mascot anymore or not.

Of the names on the list, I guess Outlaws is probably the one I would (grudgingly) support. That gives rise to the statistical analysis that "the Outlaws are the most penalized team in the league."

Utah's state bird is a condor (California Condor, technically), which gets me to the observation that every time I see Utah Blizzard on the list I think of the old El Paso Buzzards. If I am not mistaken, a condor is in the buzzard family.

The state reptile is the gila monster, which wold be a tough one although the logo could be good. But, gila monsters are apparently slow.

Unfortunately, I have the sinking feeling that whatever name they ultimately choose, it is going to be met with a sigh on this end of my keyboard.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I don't support Yeti but if they adopt it they will go from being the Jets to the Yotes to the Yets

Coyetis

The fact that "Utah Raptors" wasn't even an option is both unsurprisingly and incredibly disappointing. As another poster said, clearly the people making this list were 60+ year old suits whose knowledge of pop culture ended in about 1992. "Blizzard"? "Ice"? WTF is this, the IHL in the 1980s? Absolute bush-league garbage, and whoever even suggested that poop should be fired.

The least bad option is Yetis, IMO, though I'll still dig a trench and die on the hill that Raptors would have been best.

EDIT: They should just hoist the black flag and name them the "Utah Underwears".

Two issues with Raptors that I see:

1. Toronto Raptors trademark. Who knows if it extends into other sports. Still, tough to build a brand when the name already exists, especially in a major market like Toronto. The Utah brand would always be the smaller of the two.

2. Smith is close to Tanenbaum and likely doesn't want to "steal" his name for really no good reason.

Reactions: cptjeff

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The issue with Yeti is that the Avs already have a Yeti for mascott and they have the big foot on their shoulders.

Call them the Fury and use the Mammoth as logo. I mean I love the Mammoth as an emblem but not for a name.

Colorado has not used the bigfoot shoulder patch since 2015. They now use the Colorado state flag C there.

Colorado's mascot is a St. Bernard dog. It has been in place since 2009. The Yeti mascot went away in 2001.

Reactions: Guttersniped

QuizGuy66

Sep 12, 2011
The Donner Party like the Condors are both California things. Maybe they can be the Utah Californians?

How about Utah Talons? Then you can go with the Condor theme w/o mentioning the other state

And then they can hire Dale Tallon to run the team

Macman

May 15, 2004
How about Utah Rattlers? Or any other animal names — Pumas, Mountain Lions, Bob Cats, Cougars or Scorpions — would be better than the suggested ones.

Reactions: BTO

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
How about Utah Rattlers? Or any other animal names — Pumas, Mountain Lions, Bob Cats, Cougars or Scorpions — would be better than the suggested ones.

This is just the Florida Panthers with a different name.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Those are all cringe. Hopefully team management does the right thing and dismisses those sad choices and comes up with something on their own.

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Coyotes would have been better than all of these but alas.

Not one of these rolls off the tongue well. Salt Lake City instead of Utah would've worked better with a bunch of these names.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad