Utah team name polling opens, list of potential names revealed

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
It doesn't seem a popular opinion, but I quite like the name Yeti for a hockey team. The branding, the logo, the jerseys, the outreach to kids... all of it works for me.

...and while I love the name Yeti, singular, I hate the idea of using Yetis, plural. Fortunately, the ownership seems to agree with that.

(Last time around, I didn't like Kraken, and much preferred Sockeyes. A romance novel trademark issue seemed to put the kibosh on using that nickname, though.)

Reactions: Puckrobber

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i can't reconcile yeti in the singular as a team name. i reconciled kraken because it has many tentacles so it can serve as a metaphor for the entire team but yeti does not do that. i get that they don't want yetis either because of the current penchant for singular team names, so i think they just drop it altogether.

and there are no caribou in utah and i don't understand the logic of naming the team after an inoffensive ungulate from another region thousands of miles away. plus caribou are reindeer, which are perceived as cute christmassy things, and so that is what they will get called.

overall if they are going to go with a north pole santa theme, maybe they should go with "abominables"? that would be fun.

otherwise, i'd stick with utah regional mythologiy. has anyone suggested "skinwalkers"?

Utah Cappuccino
i had seattle soy lattes.

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
Should just keep coyotes if these are the only options they could come up with. Been many suggestions in this thread that are so much better. Frankly you could call yourself the Ice Fishers and it would be better than nearly all these official options.
My guess is the Coyotes name is still owned by the inactive franchise. Otherwise, yeah, there are coyotes in Utah and it is better than the options they trotted out.
Your own team is also named after a made up creature, the Jersey Devil.
I can attest to the fact that the New Jersey Devil is real. I travel to south Jersey about four times a year for work, and my coworkers and I have encountered the thing......generally about 12:30 am......after spending the evening at McGettigan's 19th Hole.

• Haha
Reactions: JMCx4

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Should be the Utah Regulators. Could play Clutch as they come on the ice and have that scene from Young Guns play on the jumbotron

Honestly, who in their right mind green lit the potential name of Powder. Do they not know about hockey players and their cocaine use?
Ready for the Canes to trade them Kuznetsov

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
These choices are trash

Outlaws all the way.

I’d say buy the Yotes name but it’s so cursed why even put that on your new team?

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
I'm not even sure Arizona should use the name Coyotes again if the team is resurrected. I like the name, but it is associated with futility. It would have been like the White Star Line launching the Titanic II.

• Wow
Reactions: JMCx4

Baki Erg

Apr 18, 2023
The fact that "Utah Raptors" wasn't even an option is both unsurprisingly and incredibly disappointing. As another poster said, clearly the people making this list were 60+ year old suits whose knowledge of pop culture ended in about 1992. "Blizzard"? "Ice"? WTF is this, the IHL in the 1980s? Absolute bush-league garbage, and whoever even suggested that poop should be fired.

The least bad option is Yetis, IMO, though I'll still dig a trench and die on the hill that Raptors would have been best.

EDIT: They should just hoist the black flag and name them the "Utah Underwears".

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
The fact that "Utah Raptors" wasn't even an option is both unsurprisingly and incredibly disappointing. As another poster said, clearly the people making this list were 60+ year old suits whose knowledge of pop culture ended in about 1992. "Blizzard"? "Ice"? WTF is this, the IHL in the 1980s? Absolute bush-league garbage, and whoever even suggested that poop should be fired.

The least bad option is Yetis, IMO, though I'll still dig a trench and die on the hill that Raptors would have been best.

EDIT: They should just hoist the black flag and name them the "Utah Underwears".
Probably because of the Toronto Raptors

Reactions: Woodrow

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
The issue with Yeti is that the Avs already have a Yeti for mascott and they have the big foot on their shoulders.

Call them the Fury and use the Mammoth as logo. I mean I love the Mammoth as an emblem but not for a name.

Last edited:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Ice Breakers wouldn't be too bad.

Also was watching the animals from Utah there are Coyotes in there. ummm

And badgers. That could be cool, the Badgers. Rough unbeatable animal. The cousin of the wolverine but even more badass. Even wolves and bears cannot pierce the skin of a badger.

My favorite name though would be "Salt Lake Citiy Saints".

Last edited:

mynameisvincent

May 15, 2022
I am not excited about any of the option given in that pool. Brainstorming here, but what about the Utah Impact? Former CF Mtl’s name but I think its not bad?

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
As mentioned before the Pioneers should like a nice name and it goes with Utah’s history.

You know how we call Pittsburgh the Pens. Well the Utah nickname would then be shortened to the Pions. Pee-on my friend pee-on. A urination sensation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad