Utah team name polling opens, list of potential names revealed

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
main-qimg-504472d8742325c9a18b6eeab60f121c-lq
Outlaw or powder?

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Yeti is by far the best name, plus if they go chaotic mascot direction like a yeti gritty then we all win.

Reactions: Mosby

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Utah Assault would be pretty solid given that Salt Lake is the largest city and draw to the state and it would be a cool play on that. Probably could be taken as sending the wrong message though so I'm sure they wouldn't consider it.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I get that Ryan Smyth's whole Qualtrics business is survey software—but having the public decide your team name is a recipe for disaster. Let the brand and marketing professionals handle it. That's how they came up with the Golden Knights and Kraken themes and those are among the best executed brands in North American professional sports. Way better than anything the NHL came up with in the 90s or 2000s (see how often those teams have changed logos, jerseys, colors, etc).

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
Someone suggested Utah Pronghorns and I like that much more than anything on this list. Fastest animal in North America, distinctive horn shape for logos, native to the state, etc.

I looked up the fauna of the state, and that one stood out to me too.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
1. Swarm
2. Outlaws
3. Hive
4. Venom

Everyone complaining about the suggestions but I haven’t seen any better suggestions. I will agree that a lot of these names don’t really sound like an NHL team.

I personally like the Utah Drones (after Male Bees)

Yeah I like your shortlist. The snowy mountain stuff is already done by the NHL team right next door. Beehive stuff would be unique in the realm of the Big 4 sports leagues and Outlaws and Venom give you tons of flexibility with a design.

Also, if you insist on Yeti or Mammoths, why the hell would you not use Yetis and Mammoths. It sounds so stupid singular. I get it with some of the more ambiguous names like Wild or even Avalanche but if you are naming a team after a type of creature…just put the damn S on the end. It’s like calling their minor league team the “Salt Lake City Bee.” It’s so stupid.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
For what it's worth—I wish they had included some options more closely associated with the State's national parks and prominent natural wonders.

Legends, Elevation (Els), Summits, Peaks, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: banks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad