Value of: Utah 2025 1st and two 2024 2nd round picks

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
First off some fans will say don't rush the rebuild but we are building a new market and our defense is brutal. Looking for a youngish impact defense man. What would next year's first unprotected and two seconds from this year get us for a Dman. Want to announce it at the draft.. Make it so ;)

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
Given their cap room, Utah will be a major player in free agency. No need to move picks unless they have specific targets in mind.

Reactions: Drumman44 and lanky

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I don't think it is realistic to expect a team to trade their 1st unprotected.

I also doubt that Utah would want to movie their 1st round pick a year into the franchise. 1st round picks engage fans and get them really into the team and process. Vegas moved their 2018 pick at the trade deadline, but that was a unique situation where they were unexpectedly contending.

Not to mention, Utah has 4 2025 2nd round picks and 3 2026 2nd round picks. They don't really need to move their 1st to get something done.

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I don't think it is realistic to expect a team to trade their 1st unprotected.

I also doubt that Utah would want to movie their 1st round pick a year into the franchise. 1st round picks engage fans and get them really into the team and process. Vegas moved their 2018 pick at the trade deadline, but that was a unique situation where they were unexpectedly contending.

Not to mention, Utah has 4 2025 2nd round picks and 3 2026 2nd round picks. They don't really need to move their 1st to get something done.
You know what reeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaally gets them engaged? Playoff success. Just ask Vegas.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
You know what reeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaally gets them engaged? Playoff success. Just ask Vegas.

Vegas didn't go out and trade picks+prospects unprotected in the off season.

They waited until later in the season when it was evident that they had a chance to win a cup.

When was the last time a team that traded an unprotected 1st, let alone a team that finished near the bottom almost every year prior? It is very uncommon and usually only happens out of necessity because a contender already traded their 1st, like when San Jose moved the double unprotected 1st to Ottawa for Karlsson because they already moved their upcoming 1st (protected) for Evander Kane.

It's like making a thread saying Value Of: Bedard or any other type of asset that you can easily verify is incredibly unlikely to be traded. There is no universe Chicago trades Bedard, and there is no universe where bottom dwelling teams needlessly trade unprotected 1st rounders 1 year out when protection is common and they are loaded with other high value assets that they could use to get roster players. It makes no sense.

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
We have so much trade capital. You are 100 percent correct, 1 without trade protection don't get traded often But neither does a young impactful Dmen. I believe we could entice a soon to be first pairing Dman with this offer.

Next year first will be at its highest value before draft. Before UFA signing begin. Hopefully we will be in the playoffs this year.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Be a good value to get possible 1st line defenseman or quality 2nd line defenseman+. Be better off hanging on to their 1st round picks and move 2-3 2nd round picks.

Last edited:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
We have so much trade capital. You are 100 percent correct, 1 without trade protection don't get traded often But neither does a young impactful Dmen. I believe we could entice a soon to be first pairing Dman with this offer.

Next year first will be at its highest value before draft. Before UFA signing begin. Hopefully we will be in the playoffs this year.

Yeah but no team is going to give a young impactful young d-man up for a pick that could end up mediocre after Utah is done all their moves in the trade market and free agency. Basically all the reasons you want to trade the 2025 instead of the 2024 are why teams wouldn't want to do it.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
First off some fans will say don't rush the rebuild but we are building a new market and our defense is brutal. Looking for a youngish impact defense man. What would next year's first unprotected and two seconds from this year get us for a Dman. Want to announce it at the draft.. Make it so ;)
I would put Mario Ferraro on the table for a 1st. I would understand not wanting that to be unprotected so I'd be okay with conditions.

• Haha
Reactions: Gurglesons

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
I’d say, the Utah franchise doesn’t have a single NHL defender under contract at this time.

I could see Shea Theodore being available with only one season remaining on his contract.

Reactions: wetcoast

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
A depth dman like Ferraro won't get you a 1st of any kind. I mean, not even close.
He's their #1 d-man in ice time. He's not good in that role for a lot of reasons but he can be a 2nd pairing guy on plenty of competitive teams. Those types can return a 1st under the right circumstances including when the Sharks allow for a team to protect the pick to a degree and throw a pick back to not make it as bad of a value. The Sharks probably won't trade him for a 2nd until his contract is set to expire.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
He's their #1 d-man in ice time. He's not good in that role for a lot of reasons but he can be a 2nd pairing guy on plenty of competitive teams. Those types can return a 1st under the right circumstances including when the Sharks allow for a team to protect the pick to a degree and throw a pick back to not make it as bad of a value. The Sharks probably won't trade him for a 2nd until his contract is set to expire.
If the right circumstance is a clueless GM making a mistake, then sure. But you aren't getting a 1st for Mario Ferraro in almost all circumstances. LOL

Cmon man.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If the right circumstance is a clueless GM making a mistake, then sure. But you aren't getting a 1st for Mario Ferraro in almost all circumstances. LOL

Cmon man.
That happens pretty regularly so I don't know why you're laughing off something that defeats your point. Plenty of players of Ferraro's caliber have returned a 1st when other things are attached to the deal.

People like you didn't think the Sharks could get a 1st round pick for Hertl or for Karlsson and it happened.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
That happens pretty regularly so I don't know why you're laughing off something that defeats your point. Plenty of players of Ferraro's caliber have returned a 1st when other things are attached to the deal.
Are the Sharks attaching a 1st?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Tampa has done similar trades. Vegas did it to snag Hertl. Pittsburgh did it for Karlsson. It happens plenty.
But Karlsson was coming off a Norris trophy. Ferraro is coming off yet another unimpressive season.

There is a massive difference between Ferarro and Karlsson/Hertl. Like massive. Gigantic.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
But Karlsson was coming off a Norris trophy. Ferraro is coming off yet another unimpressive season.
And everyone knew he wouldn't replicate that season and has an incredibly high cap hit and term. Still, someone made the move to fork over a 1st round pick and the Sharks did some other things to ease the pain of losing the draft pick including small retention, adding a draft pick, and taking cap dumps back.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
And everyone knew he wouldn't replicate that season and has an incredibly high cap hit and term. Still, someone made the move to fork over a 1st round pick and the Sharks did some other things to ease the pain of losing the draft pick including small retention, adding a draft pick, and taking cap dumps back.
This is an idiotic comparison. Karlsson was coming off a f***ing Norris. He is/was a superstar dman. Ferraro is a meh dman.

Ferarro is coming off yet another unspectacular season. In fact, the Sharks produce more when Ferraro is off the ice than on it by a large margin.

And for the record, i was one of those posters defending the value of Karlsson!!!

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
This is an idiotic comparison. Karlsson was coming off a f***ing Norris. He is/was a superstar dman. Ferraro is a meh dman.

Ferarro is coming off yet another unspectacular season. In fact, the Sharks produce more when Ferraro is off the ice than on it by a large margin.

And for the record, i was one of those posters defending the value of Karlsson!!!
That's because you're not thinking about it in the slightest. Karlsson may have been coming off a Norris but he had a meh value contract and the previous season was unmovable. Competitive teams are willing to move 20-something or later draft picks for defensemen like Ferraro especially if a later pick is coming back or the Sharks are willing to take back someone who doesn't provide any value for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad