USMNT Part IX

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I feel pretty good. By the WC comes our younger players will have had summer training at their club to get better, injuries all healed up, etc. We made it with a team that is basically just boys, we do have a terrible coach, but this WC is part of the process towards getting those boys some experience.
Young team for sure. Going to be exciting to see Canada's young team grow alongside you guys. Hoping the 2 teams can push themselves in this generation.

Reactions: Live in the Now

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
We also play in a region where getting results is maximized. A lot of the teams we play favor older players because all they care about is the result, we got results with boys despite a terrible coach.

As far as the WC goes we need Turner, Aaronson, McKennie, and Dest to be fit, we need Reyna to be much more fit, hopefully one of our #9 get in great form (looking at you Dike). We were missing a lot of key components this week. No mixed feelings on my end.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
The frustrating thing about this is that been waiting for this moment for 4 years and yet they played such a shit game and its really leaving a sour taste in my mouth. Throughout this whole qualifying cycle I was perfectly content with just qualifying and not caring how we got there, but this result was really bad. I don't care about past results in Costa Rica, I still expected more out of this last game.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The frustrating thing about this is that been waiting for this moment for 4 years and yet they played such a shit game and its really leaving a sour taste in my mouth. Throughout this whole qualifying cycle I was perfectly content with just qualifying and not caring how we got there, but this result was really bad. I don't care about past results in Costa Rica, I still expected more out of this last game.

It wasn't that shit. Our very likely backup keeper let in a goal he shouldn't have, but they created chances to score. Should have been finished yes, but it wasn't that bad.

Sep 19, 2008
The thing is the US has looked shaky at every away qualifier. It's not easy to win in these arenas. The US has never won a qualifier in Azteca IIRC and haven't won in San Jose in decades. I mean the US lost to Panama of all teams 1-0 in the Hex. The same team they ran out of the pitch 5-1 on Sunday.

US away games are really, really, really tough. Especially with someone like Navas in net. I don't see any reason to be sad or angry. 8 years of frustration is finally gone!

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Canada lost in Panama. Newsflash: it's really hard to win away in Central America. The top 5 teams in the table combined to lose at home one time.
We also had guys start three games. It wasn't like this was a lifeless performance even considering that. FWIW our players also traveled far more than Costa Rica's did and that stuff adds up really quickly.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
We also play in a region where getting results is maximized. A lot of the teams we play favor older players because all they care about is the result, we got results with boys despite a terrible coach.

As far as the WC goes we need Turner, Aaronson, McKennie, and Dest to be fit, we need Reyna to be much more fit, hopefully one of our #9 get in great form (looking at you Dike). We were missing a lot of key components this week. No mixed feelings on my end.
A part of me wants to play Weah up top. I think rolling with him up top, Pulisic, Reyna out wide, Musah, McKennie behind would work really well. All those guys are really freaking good at the little intricate plays.

Pulisic-Weah-Reyna
McKennie-Adams-Musah
Robinson-LCB-Brooks-Dest
Steffen

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The thing is the US has looked shaky at every away qualifier. It's not easy to win in these arenas. The US has never won a qualifier in Azteca IIRC and haven't won in San Jose in decades. I mean the US lost to Panama of all teams 1-0 in the Hex. The same team they ran out of the pitch 5-1 on Sunday.

US away games are really, really, really tough. Especially with someone like Navas in net. I don't see any reason to be sad or angry. 8 years of frustration is finally gone!
If it wasn’t for that point in Mexico we’d be singing a different tune tonight as it worked out.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Seems like after 0-0 at half and the almost near impossiblity of letting up 6 second half goals they switched it off. It’s whatever to me since Panama was the real qualification game and they came out and dropped 5.

Happy they’re back

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
The comeback in Honduras was by far the key to this good end result. One half where they didn't even dominate but made things happen in a hostile place against a side that was so confident. Gotta find that magic again in November.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If Steffen didn’t play like garbage that game was 0-0 at worst.
You know, if I was Turner I’d really be regretting that Arsenal move. Steffen’s hold on that #1 shirt has got to be very weak right now. Not dumping on Arsenal here but is Turner went somewhere he could have been #1 he’d have the inside track on starting in Qatar

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
You know, if I was Turner I’d really be regretting that Arsenal move. Steffen’s hold on that #1 shirt has got to be very weak right now. Not dumping on Arsenal here but is Turner went somewhere he could have been #1 he’d have the inside track on starting in Qatar
It's obviously the easiest move culturally and in terms of financials, but I wish our NT guys would stay the hell out of England. They're either going to stacked rosters where they'll struggle for playing time, or bottom feeders where it's debatable how much they're actually going to develop. Hard to argue with the 💰 and exposure though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad