World Cup: USMNT 2026

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Lots to look forward to these next four years. The investment in and growth of MLS academies since early/mid 2010's should really shine this cycle with more and more talent being exported to top 10 Euro leagues at young ages. Excited to see who breaks through and pushes some of the current guys. Ideally, only a dozen or so players from the WC'22 squad should make it to WC'26. Need much more depth to compete and make a run at the quarters.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Hard to imagine now that there will similar level of turnover before the 2026 WC, but like the article says, four years is a long time.

"Only two players -- Pulisic and right-back DeAndre Yedlin -- recorded starter-level minutes in this 2018 cycle and then also played in 2022. "

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Hard to imagine now that there will similar level of turnover before the 2026 WC, but like the article says, four years is a long time.

"Only two players -- Pulisic and right-back DeAndre Yedlin -- recorded starter-level minutes in this 2018 cycle and then also played in 2022. "
Yeah, the difference is that the generation prior to Pulisic hasn't really turned out many players, hence why we (1) didn't qualify and (2) are so young. The only USMNT born between 1990 and 1996 that have been called up are Turner (late bloomer), Horvath, Shaq Moore (12/96), Yedlin, Roldan, Acosta, Morris, Steffen, Lletget, Arriola, and Pefok (who had been playing for France).

Other than the goalkeepers, none of those guys have been significant contributors. The group this year is much much more talented.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Biggest concern going into 2026 is the same as it was for this year and the depth at striker. Its nice that Pepi and Sargent are young enough that they can still improve, but there's still a lack of quality depth. I mean Pefok, Wright and Dike are still around, but may not be national team quality. I like Sanogo's potential, but you're still unsure.

But 4 years is a long time, so much can change over that time.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Really curious to hear from the Americans re Gregg staying on. As a Canadian who wants to dominate the region, my initial reaction was happiness that these contract talks were happening. I just think there is a level this current American generation can reach, but the potential will not be met with Berhalter at the helm.

Who knows though, maybe he proves me wrong and you guys end up winning the 2023 GC and 2024 Copa ;)

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Biggest concern going into 2026 is the same as it was for this year and the depth at striker. Its nice that Pepi and Sargent are young enough that they can still improve, but there's still a lack of quality depth. I mean Pefok, Wright and Dike are still around, but may not be national team quality. I like Sanogo's potential, but you're still unsure.

But 4 years is a long time, so much can change over that time.
Dike was national team quality and then has been injured all year. We'll see what he looks like when he gets back. Ferreira still has potential too. Balogun is the real intriguing name though.
Really curious to hear from the Americans re Gregg staying on.
I'm generally of the opinion that national team coaches should change each cycle unless they win or exceed expectations. Berhalter met expectations, but didn't look phenomenal doing it. He has been great at recruiting dual nats and credit to integrating youth, but I think his time is up and it's time for a coach with more tactical nous.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Do we want him back?
No, but it’s obvious that this was going to happen.
Really curious to hear from the Americans re Gregg staying on. As a Canadian who wants to dominate the region, my initial reaction was happiness that these contract talks were happening. I just think there is a level this current American generation can reach, but the potential will not be met with Berhalter at the helm.

Who knows though, maybe he proves me wrong and you guys end up winning the 2023 GC and 2024 Copa ;)
Berhalter as the manager severely caps the ceiling of this roster. Obviously limited and can’t match better quality managers for tactics. No reason to bring him back but they will because it’s the easiest thing to do

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
People need to calm down about the forward questions. Except Pefok, who'll only be 29 at the next World Cup, literally every striker people talk about is 24 or younger. All these guys could be around for the 2030 World Cup, if they have any longevity.

They could all be mediocre over the next few years. Being young doesn't mean we'll see a lot of improvements from them, but I think we have to have some patience about this. Prime age is mid to late 20's for a footballer, especially a forward. Our forward position should continue to get better.

Reactions: Basement Cat

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA

Next world cup is huge for us (Canada as well). I think its commendable with what Berhalter was able to do when he took over the program when it was at its lowest. That being said he didn't accomplish anything more than Arena, Klinnsman or Bradley. He won Gold Cup and Nations League and got out of the group. Okay that's great and all, but all of our previous managers this century has won those as well. We need someone to take us to the next level and he's not the one to do it.

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
People need to calm down about the forward questions. Except Pefok, who'll only be 29 at the next World Cup, literally every striker people talk about is 24 or younger. All these guys could be around for the 2030 World Cup, if they have any longevity.

They could all be mediocre over the next few years. Being young doesn't mean we'll see a lot of improvements from them, but I think we have to have some patience about this. Prime age is mid to late 20's for a footballer, especially a forward. Our forward position should continue to get better.
Pefok couldn’t even make this roster, so why should we assume he makes the next one?

Four years is a lot of time for someone to emerge and that’s going to be their best option. They can’t pretend that the current options are good enough. If they can get Balogun and hit that goes a long way. If they can lock up that Sanogo kid and he is a hit that’s even better, but they is zero reason to think the options that were there this cycle will be good enough, or improve to the necessary level when needed. The talent level is not there. I think an interesting late bloomer type could be Vazquez but they need to keep him away from Mexico and I think he is only like a year or so younger than Pefok. Sargent I think is at least useful, which is more than I can say about the others that were in Qatar

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Pefok couldn’t even make this roster, so why should we assume he makes the next one?

Four years is a lot of time for someone to emerge and that’s going to be their best option. They can’t pretend that the current options are good enough. If they can get Balogun and hit that goes a long way. If they can lock up that Sanogo kid and he is a hit that’s even better, but they is zero reason to think the options that were there this cycle will be good enough, or improve to the necessary level when needed. The talent level is not there. I think an interesting late bloomer type could be Vazquez but they need to keep him away from Mexico and I think he is only like a year or so younger than Pefok. Sargent I think is at least useful, which is more than I can say about the others that were in Qatar
I mean, if the manager changes or if he improves from age 26 to age 30.

The bolded is silly. Thinking kids aged 19-22 can't improve is pretty funny.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I mean, if the manager changes or if he improves from age 26 to age 30.

The bolded is silly. Thinking kids aged 19-22 can't improve is pretty funny.
It’s still assuming a lot though. Current manager doesn’t rate, no guarantee the next manager rates either.

Kids can improve but if you are talking about Ferreira, I saw nothing from him, which I can get over, but he did not look mentally ready at all. That’s a lot tougher for me to get over.

All I am saying is that if we are looking in a vacuum, I would not commit to bring any of those guys back

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

The point I'm making is that no other countries are only relying on strikers 24 and under, except one 26 year old. It's such a different story if we're asking one of these younger strikers to be the last guy on the depth chart. Our older players aren't any good. Thats at almost any position. We got lucky that our younger players at midfield, winger, and defenders are pretty good. It's normal the younger generation might have a position that takes a little longer to fully develop and hit their prime. It doesn't mean it'll be weak once they hit their prime. Forwards also normally hit their prime a little later. The same for goalies where we don't have a proven younger option either.

It's the old Alan Hansen quote that you can't win anything with kids. There was almost no way we'd have our forward position solved for Qatar, unless we had a Haaland, Mbappe, Vlahovic, Osimhen level of forward. How many do based entirely on a younger generation of strikers? Not many. Our forward position can be perfectly good enough in a few years with some normal development from the current forwards we have.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The point I'm making is that no other countries are only relying on strikers 24 and under, except one 26 year old. It's such a different story if we're asking one of these younger strikers to be the last guy on the depth chart. Our older players aren't any good. Thats at almost any position. We got lucky that our younger players at midfield, winger, and defenders are pretty good. It's normal the younger generation might have a position that takes a little longer to fully develop and hit their prime. It doesn't mean it'll be weak once they hit their prime. Forwards also normally hit their prime a little later. The same for goalies where we don't have a proven younger option either.

It's the old Alan Hansen quote that you can't win anything with kids. There was almost no way we'd have our forward position solved for Qatar, unless we had a Haaland, Mbappe, Vlahovic, Osimhen level of forward. How many do based entirely on a younger generation of strikers? Not many. Our forward position can be perfectly good enough in a few years with some normal development from the current forwards we have.
I mean you can try to turn a B plus striker into an A minus striker. Sure. But there is no one that caliber in the US pool. At best you might have some C minus guys but those guys aren’t going to get elevated up to that “good enough” tier

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
I'm generally of the opinion that national team coaches should change each cycle unless they win or exceed expectations. Berhalter met expectations, but didn't look phenomenal doing it. He has been great at recruiting dual nats and credit to integrating youth, but I think his time is up and it's time for a coach with more tactical nous.
This! I give credit to Gregg for rebuilding the psyche/camaraderie of the USMNT after the failure of 2018, but imo, 2026 is possibly the most consequential World Cup for the US mens’ program in the modern era. The men finally have a good core who could go toe to toe with the world’s best players, IF they also have a coach who has the tactical genius to unleash their potential. For me, Gregg is not that guy.

Next world cup is huge for us (Canada as well). I think its commendable with what Berhalter was able to do when he took over the program when it was at its lowest. That being said he didn't accomplish anything more than Arena, Klinnsman or Bradley. He won Gold Cup and Nations League and got out of the group. Okay that's great and all, but all of our previous managers this century has won those as well. We need someone to take us to the next level and he's not the one to do it.
Wrt the bolded, yep! Also,
1) Gregg didn’t do anything that Bradley/Klinsmann didn’t do, while having a core group of players more talented than what Bradley/Klinsmann had to work with; and
2) did less than Arena in the WC, since Arena took the team into the quarterfinals and was a handball (darn it Torsten Frings!!!) from possibly taking the team to the semifinals - again, with an overall less talented group than who Gregg had available

JPBolts

Jun 21, 2019
feels like the story that dropped earlier is pretty important news for the USMNT going forward. Don't know if there's a complete breakdown with Reyna & GGG and if either are going to have a part going forward in the immediate future

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
feels like the story that dropped earlier is pretty important news for the USMNT going forward. Don't know if there's a complete breakdown with Reyna & GGG and if either are going to have a part going forward in the immediate future

If the stories are true. Which there seems like to many reporting it not to be. It’s more the rest of the team had the issue with Reyna as well. Though all reports are he was much better after his apology.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
If the stories are true. Which there seems like to many reporting it not to be. It’s more the rest of the team had the issue with Reyna as well. Though all reports are he was much better after his apology.
Yeah, If one of the sources is accurate the team almost voted to send him home. Kid's still just 20, hopefully he'll learn what he needed to and it will make him better going forward. It sounded like it was resolved satisfactorily, but I still wasn't a huge fan of his body language and hustle level during his brief appearances.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Its not the first time a young kid with huge potential showing a lack of effort in training or games and he won't be the last. Having said that its a huge concern for him to be displaying that DURING the World Cup and that makes it all the more disappointing. And the fact that it got to be so bad that they even considered sending him home should be a major wakeup call for him.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I don't want Berhalter back. He did ok, he had very modest but important goals. Succeeded in them mostly but that's not what the program is looking for going forward. Not about to bag on him for the development of the pool, that's really on the players and their agents to get them into the best situation they can but where they can get playing time. Dest and Pulisic showed they can be top-notch players for the USMNT but man you just think if they were regular starters in their respective clubs how much more they could be at this time and the future.

Again none of this is his fault, its just the real goal for the next coach is to try new things and see how players fit in their roles. And I think Berhalter could find better success coaching a European club where his squad management and general tactics could do better. This next four years is not only important, its unique. Never again will we be at this crossroads of no qualifying and therefore no real challenges against motivated opponents. How do players respond to being tried in unique situations that might be called for? If you spend all your time just trying for points to qualify you miss that and then working on it during random friendlies isn't going to give you the answers. Maybe if we and much of the hemisphere bring some real top squads to Copa America some of this gets tested.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad