USHL Thread

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Since the USHL started I thought the league deserved a thread. It may not be the strongest draft year for non-NTDP teams but there are plenty of prospects in the league this season, young and old. So far Dubuque, Tri-City and Waterloo were the most impressive teams I've seen from day 1, a little over half the league has played games and will over the next few days in Pittsburgh.

Reactions: JMCx4

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Hard to top the 52 USHL players chosen in the June 2019 draft, especially with a large number of those being early round NTDP players. But Steve Kournianos wrote a piece in late July for The Sporting News entitled: "NHL Draft 2020 prospect rankings: Preseason top 62 players on next year's big board" that included a few USHL players-to-watch for this season. I've added links to each player's Elite Prospects profile for more info ...
#30 - Daniil Gushchin, C/RW, Muskegon
#35 - Sean Farrell, RW, Chicago
#46 - Sam Colangelo, RW, Chicago
#48 - Ryder Rolston, RW/C, Waterloo

My wife & I have travel plans for Waterloo & Chicago (Geneva) next spring, so hopefully we'll see some top talent playing during those games.

Last edited:

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
NOTE TO MOD: At your discretion & leisure, please merge this thread & the previous USHL 2019-20 thread. Thanks.
I should have looked further, only scanned the recent posts, my bad. I thought Colangelo showed something during playoffs. Certainly looking at Rolston this year. Farrell should be a big part of the Steel this year, who play tomorrow night. I think there are going to be some sneaky risers, not quite sure who. Also think over-agers will get plenty of attention this year, since it will likely be a down year especially compared to 2019. Stephen Halliday is another name who should get some attention.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Curious, what will show the 2 Japanese wonder kids :

Yusaku Ando
Chikara Hanzawa
Ando already has 4 points in 3 games with Youngstown. But just having turned 16 and with his very small frame, IMO he's a long shot to keep up that pace as the rest of the League's older & bigger players get a bead on him.

Hanzawa is even smaller but more mature at 18, and his time (and success) in Finland should help him advance his play in Tri-City if he's given sufficient ice time.

Bottom Line for me: These kids will be fun to watch, but their size doesn't speak of a very good chance for either one to draw any NHL interest. Which is the ultimate point of playing in the USHL.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Isnt the ultimate goal to find some good University and NCAA?
Some players have dreams of an NHL career, others lower their expectations to university scholarships. Either way, those two boys are mighty small to play hockey with adults.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
This CHL-centric 2020 prospects list puts Muskegon's Daniil Gushchin @ #20. Andrew Forbes from The Hockey Writers predicts seven USNTDP picks will likely go in the 1st & 2nd Rounds before Gushchin @ #56 and Youngstown forward Ben Schoen @ #61. More "experts" will be weighing in shortly, I'm sure.
I'm gonna hold my tongue on those rankings, but a weekend in, not confident the league has a non-NTDP first rounder at the moment (and we'll be lucky to get a couple of those IMO). Does seem to be a decent group of likely 2nd-4th, 5th round types

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
I'm gonna hold my tongue on those rankings, but a weekend in, not confident the league has a non-NTDP first rounder at the moment (and we'll be lucky to get a couple of those IMO). Does seem to be a decent group of likely 2nd-4th, 5th round types

That's a good point but one kid that could push that is Blake Biondi who was really good last weekend at the Fall Classic. It's also fun seeing kids that I've never seen before. Don't know if he'd be a first rounder but I was really impressed with was Matt Choupani. Had fast hands and was involved in the play a lot on a team that lost both of its games and had trouble finding offense. He has pretty quick feet too.

Reactions: JMCx4

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
That's a good point but one kid that could push that is Blake Biondi who was really good last weekend at the Fall Classic. It's also fun seeing kids that I've never seen before. Don't know if he'd be a first rounder but I was really impressed with was Matt Choupani. Had fast hands and was involved in the play a lot on a team that lost both of its games and had trouble finding offense. He has pretty quick feet too.
He still has a lot of high school player in him and I'm worried about him going back to Hermantown this year, but if he's good enough, he'll be good enough. I do think that will really hurt him for the draft re: first round. Choupani was good, hadn't seen him before. Lots of new faces in the league this year. I think Laferriere will come on strong

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
He still has a lot of high school player in him and I'm worried about him going back to Hermantown this year, but if he's good enough, he'll be good enough. I do think that will really hurt him for the draft re: first round. Choupani was good, hadn't seen him before. Lots of new faces in the league this year. I think Laferriere will come on strong

Was talking with a scout at the showcase that mentioned the high school factor. Thought he was good in the Hlinka Gretzky too so we’ll see. Yes Laferriere was good too, will be fun to keep tabs on him this year.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Any Tri City fans can tell me what happened to Mike Koster? He hasn't played in any of the games.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Can anyone comment on Lohrei? Do you think he has some high end potential?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad