Useless Thread MDCCLXXII:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
think it's hilarious how you can play music at the bar or at a house party without retribution but don't you dare play music in public on a stream

the hypocrisy is ridiculous
I am pretty sure bars/restaurants pay music licensing fees, the same way they pay fees to broadcast sports and stuff on TVs.

Sep 19, 2008
I am pretty sure bars/restaurants pay music licensing fees, the same way they pay fees to broadcast sports and stuff on TVs.
When your mates in dorm were blaring music and holding party and you told them to turn it down were you issuing DMCA strike to them

Also your post does not address house party music. If you have 10 or 20 people over for a party and play music is that against the law?

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
When your mates in dorm were blaring music and holding party and you told them to turn it down were you issuing DMCA strike to them

Also your post does not address house party music. If you have 10 or 20 people over for a party and play music is that against the law?
I don't know the specifics of the law. But for sports events, there's a certain limit to how many people you can have watching over PPVs for instance. I don't know how many. I don't know what it is for sports like hockey or football or basketball. I don't know what it is for music.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
I think I'm just going to download a couple of them first and do my own personal tests to see how they feel and what all happens.
Opera, Vivaldi, Brave, Comodo IceDragon

Sep 19, 2008
I think I'm just going to download a couple of them first and do my own personal tests to see how they feel and what all happens.
Opera, Vivaldi, Brave, Comodo IceDragon
Firefox for web surfing

Chrome for Twitch

IceDragon for financial review :naughty:

Sep 19, 2008
upload_2020-6-9_9-38-3.png

Sep 19, 2008
People who care about your desktop :
"I don't know the law but"

Proceeds to talk out his ass

You know damn well playing music for 10 people at your party is not illegal yet playing for 20 or 30 people in a twitch stream, DMCA strike :rolleyes:

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City

You know damn well playing music for 10 people at your party is not illegal yet playing for 20 or 30 people in a twitch stream, DMCA strike :rolleyes:
"Unfortunately, many people don’t understand the law, its scope, and the implications of breaking it. United States copyright law defines “public performance” as any music played outside a group of family and friends. By that definition, all company holiday parties, conferences, grand openings, and other gatherings must obtain a license. Nonprofits aren’t exempt, either. If an entertainer is paid, a music license is necessary. Many companies assume that their music license includes events. Unfortunately, it doesn’t."

there you go

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO

dude, you need to chill.

you can't use copyrighted materials in for-profit online endeavors and you never have been able to. that's how it's always worked.

the record industry is whack and holding on to the final shreds of relevancy that it once had. this is how they _always_ act.

Sep 19, 2008
dude, you need to chill.

you can't use copyrighted materials in for-profit online endeavors and you never have been able to. that's how it's always worked.

the record industry is whack and holding on to the final shreds of relevancy that it once had. this is how they _always_ act.

Don't you steal television and watch it for free off your PC?

Sep 19, 2008
To be fair the quarantine has really hit content hard. Like, there's nothing to watch on TV other than the news. No sports, and anything on cable is flooded with stupid commercials all the time. Like, I can put up Twitch and be entertained for hours without a single commercial break and you expect me to watch Wolf of Wall Street on FXX and have commercial interruption, or some kind of documentary foh

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
For more clarification on the "group of family and friend" : A public performance is one that occurs either in a public place or any place where people gather (other than a small circle of a family or its social acquaintances). A public performance is also one that is transmitted to the public; for example, radio or television broadcasts, music-on-hold, cable television, and by the internet. Generally, those who publicly perform music obtain permission from the owner of the music or his representative. However, there are a few limited exceptions, (called "exemptions") to this rule. Permission is not required for music played or sung as part of a worship service unless that service is transmitted beyond where it takes place (for example, a radio or television broadcast). Performances as part of face to face teaching activity at a non-profit educational institutions are also exempt. We recommend that you contact your local ASCAP representative who can discuss your needs and how ASCAP can help you.

So, by that, a wedding would probably not be considered a "small" circle, but a house party is fine, I guess.

Sep 19, 2008
Cable television probably isn't worth the 50 dollars I pay for every month, but if I cancel I wouldn't be able to pick up any basic channels (ABC/ FOX/CBS/ NBC)

Sep 19, 2008
The networks also try to play tricks. Like, you can't watch HGTV or ESPN or ABC / CBS / NBC / FOX official streams unless you have a satellite or cable provider.

It's not like Canada where you can just pull up TVA website and watch without any problem

Americans are extremely protective about IP. All the money tied up in networks. The local sports station here doesn't even stream online and YES isn't even on Youtube TV IIRC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad