Proposal: use some of our cap space on Dustin Penner?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
He's Brad Isbister, Cameron Mann, Landon Wilson, Sandy Moger, Lee Goren and Shayne Stevenson all rolled into one! :laugh:

Just say no to Penner.

penner is a 30 goals scorer in the NHL who has upped his game twice to play key roles for stanley cup winners. Your list of names you compare him to is a joke.

Lets be fair people... yes Penner seems to be incredibly inconsisitient. I might say its very fair to say he can seem very lazy at times. I might say its very fair to question how good he is to have in your locker room if you are a young team without much leadership and alot of impressionable kids around...

but the guy can be a dominant player when hes on... and hes been on enough to play key roles for 2 cup winners already in his young career.

i think boston will be a contender for the cup... i think we have alot of leadership here to counter balance penner. i think we have a hole on our third line. i think we have plenty of cap room to take on penner's contract. i think penner is a huge upgrade over whatever other options we currently have for our third line off-winger. I think that penner could be acquired at an affordable price.

im just not sure hes the very best option to go after... thats the question... but if we got him, he is a much much much better player then that list you suggested. Lets be real about that

Quaider*

penner is a 30 goals scorer in the NHL who has upped his game twice to play key roles for stanley cup winners. Your list of names you compare him to is a joke.

Lets be fair people... yes Penner seems to be incredibly inconsisitient. I might say its very fair to say he can seem very lazy at times. I might say its very fair to question how good he is to have in your locker room if you are a young team without much leadership and alot of impressionable kids around...

but the guy can be a dominant player when hes on... and hes been on enough to play key roles for 2 cup winners already in his young career.

i think boston will be a contender for the cup... i think we have alot of leadership here to counter balance penner. i think we have a hole on our third line. i think we have plenty of cap room to take on penner's contract. i think penner is a huge upgrade over whatever other options we currently have for our third line off-winger. I think that penner could be acquired at an affordable price.

im just not sure hes the very best option to go after... thats the question... but if we got him, he is a much much much better player then that list you suggested. Lets be real about that

You seem to be pretty much alone with your desire to get Penner. Maybe if the price was really low. I've never been impressed with his game.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA

This is loaded with if's, could's and maybe's and that is why most of us do not want him.

Not to mention we don't want the buffets in Boston to run out.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
I'd rather they went after Gagne if we were looking at the Kings. The thought of Pevs and Kelly getting set up in the offensive zone while Penner is puffing his way over center makes me giggle, and not in a good way.

I wouldn't mind seeing a move for Milan Hejduk although he got hurt last night. He's been with Colorado his entire career and has an NMC, but if they start to struggle over the next month he may be willing to move an let them bring in some assets. Lot's of ifs :)

xgallantx

Sold Soul for a Cup
Oct 2, 2006
Newfoundland
IF we contact LA how about Simon Gagne?

Agree here. We need a skater, not a slow body. I think Gagne could get that third line going a little bit. Obviously not expecting an explosion but Peverly and GAgne and to a lesser point Kelly have some offensive capabilities.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Gagne would be awesome. I don't care that he hasn't scored a single goal this year. I would much rather target him than Penner.

He's on the last year of his contract, $3.5m cap hit. LA is in 10th right now, so maybe they want to hang onto him, dunno. It's not like he played much of a role in their run last year.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
im not saying penner is the key im basing my entire year on. im not saying i expect him to be a dominant regular season player. i do realize we need to be realistic if we take a flyer on a guy like this

so many of you are rightfully pointing out that he hasnt had a good regular season in LA yet. But you arent wondering why? whats wrong?

is he too old? nope... check his birthday
is he too fat? nope... hes been this fat all his career
is he too what? what is his problem?

imho... hes very unmotivated to try very hard during the regular season. ive seen this guy alot over his career. he got the huge contract from Edmonton and after that he sort of took alot of nights off.

this isnt a guy you get to build a team around... and if your team sucks then he can be a huge problem. He was a huge problem for edmonton. He seems to be a problem in LA too.

LA won with smoke and mirrors last year. They arent really that good a team. Great goaltending carried them last year... and a very very very good group of dmen... and some very good coaching

the forward group in LA isnt cup caliber though... except last year it was... and one of the biggest reasons was Penner. He stepped it up.

He stepped it up for Anaheim too.

In 60 career playoff games he has 30 points. This is very very very good production for a second/third liner

i wouldnt give up alot to get him... i wouldnt be expecting more then a big body with skill to compliment Kelly/Peverly on a third line... maybe help the second PP unit with a big body for crashing the net?

at playoff time... often you have to create traffic for the opposing goalie to beat him...

not everything Penner does at playoff time shows up on a stat sheet. During the regular season his coaches often put him in the dog house... bench him... but he gets another big contract after he shows everyone his playoff performance... at playoff time no one benches him...

im sorry, but not every single player that we like to laugh at actually sucks. I posted numberous times how we should take a chance on Sheldon Souray. I was told he cant even play in the AHL. Skill/Size cant be taught. Souray was in a bad situation. He was a proven performer still young enough to be a player. Anaheim/Dallas are happy they took a chance on him. He wasnt a savior for them but he could still play.

Sometimes players perform better in certain situations. Sometimes they develop long after people give up on them. Look at Mike Knuble. He was a bum when we got him. No one expected crap from him. I suggested we make a second line with him and Rolston on the wings for Thornton behind Allison with Samsonov and Carter and i was called an idiot. I saw the skill in Rolston/Knuble and didnt see it in Donato/Heinze.

You cant teach skill/size but something skill/size need the right enviorment to succeed.

Peverly/Kelly are not big guys. Maybe they dont need to be? But i wouldnt mind putting a big guy with them. I wish Caron was developing but he doesnt seem to be. Penner to me would be a very low risk/potential high return type gamble we might consider taking.

I wouldnt give up alot for him... and id try to have a PLAN B cause im not sure of Penner... but really, wouldnt he be worth considering for a try?

Not all experiments work out... but some do. Id take a flyer on this one if I was king of the world {and LA really was willing to give him up}

PS... id probably take the same flyer on Gagne if hes the one moved... hes not as big, but he also has good playoff experiences. LA 'should' deal one of these 2 guys. They need a shakeup. We need a third line winger upgrade. I think theres a fit to be had

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
I actually don't think this is a bad idea to consider. Obviously he has more than his share of warts but I get where the OP is coming form. There is upside, a good playoff track record, the Bruins culture may be good for him and he would come very cheaply.

The list of players acquired at the deadline these days is usually pretty underwhelming. Teams generally add depth, if you are expecting Chiarelli to land a star at the deadline, prepare to be disappointed.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
I think more than anything, Penner just needs to get out of LA.

He's got some talent, and he can legitimately stand in front of the goalie on the PP and knock in rebounds from Chara.

If LA wants to clear him off the cap, I'd trade someone like Ryan Button or Craig Cunningham.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Does our future considerations from the Sturm deal years ago still hold any value to us? I'd kick the tires on either Penner or Gagne for depth purposes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad